How long does it take?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Mrs_Goatess, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

Since so many of us are still playing the waiting game (two weeks now for me!), my hope was that those who have gotten news back could share with us how long it took to get a response, positive or negative. Even if all you've experienced was immediate feedback, I'd like to hear about it.

Previously, I've gotten negative responses after a little over a week. Hopefully I'll know how long a positive response takes soon. :p

:) :thanks:

3. iharding

iharding Companion

Jun 30, 2006

My letter came in the mail over 2 weeks later.

4. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

Mine have completely varied...
    Some: nothing, even after attempts to call to check up
    One rejection letter took a month, another a week or two, another 6 weeks (I kinda figured it out by then!)

My good news: 2nd interview callback after a week and a half, 3rd interview call back the Day after the 2nd interview (to come in THAT afternoon! yikes!), Official offer the day after the 3rd interview. From what I've heard thru the grapevine, positive news comes very quickly, a day or two after a 2nd interview

Good luck and stay positive! After years of searching, I can tell you it does happen!

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2006

I think positive responses happen pretty quickly. I've gotten positive responses the day of and the day after. Negative responses take a little more time. I think the administrators offer the job to their top pick and give them time to accept or decline--then when the job is officially filled, they notify the other candidates. At least that's been my experience. Good luck! Fingers are crossed!

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 30, 2006

I just recently got hired and the whole process took 2 weeks. My first interview I already had a strong feeling about the job, the interview went well and the principal seemed really excited about having me join her staff. A few days later I sent a handwritten thank you note, and that I am indeed interested in the position. She called me the next day, and we set up a time for a 2nd interivew and I got the job and signed my contract right there. I agree with terptoteacher...the positive responses usually happen quickly, although sometimes that isn't the case. I have applied to at least 40 different districts and schools and I have not heard from so many of them. A lot are just so inendated with applications that they don't bother to send out rejection letters.

7. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 2, 2006

I hope more people respond as I am interested in the responses also!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2006

I don't think my experience is typical since a) I'm math and b) I have lots of experience, particularly with what will be NY's new math syllabus in the next few years.

My job offers were at the interview.

BUT..... think for a second. Let's say you totally blow them away at the interview and they're just about sure that you're THE ONE!! But they still have 8 more people scheduled for interviews over the coming weeks. The odds are good that you won't hear until all those interviews are over.

Here's hoping for lots of positive responses on Wednesday!!

9. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jul 2, 2006

Here's to...

Here's to getting called for an interview Wednesday or shortly after that. I'm sure many of you can second me on this thought, right?

Good luck to everyone still looking for a job like me. Please post when you get a job and what grade level it's for.

10. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 2, 2006

I was recently hired out of the state I currentlylive in. The whole process took 2 1/2 weeks. I did a 45 minute phone interview w/the principal, was invited down for a formal interview, (I now expected a panel inteview & had a demo lesson prepared), the principal spent 30 minutes telling me about the school, asked me 3 questions, then offered me the job. No panel, no demo lesson, nothing!! Then we spent another hour talking about the school, my asking question, & getting a tour of the school. I called her back 2 days later & accepted the position.

11. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 2, 2006

Wow! Short courtship!! :-D And much to your satisfaction, I take it... Good job, and good luck!

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2006

I had an interview last Monday with the panal of teachers and principals. They had the teaching portion of the interview on Wed and Thursday from 1-3:00. I got a call Thursday at 3:45pm "tentatively" offering me a job. It's tentative becaus I still need to meet with the super for signing of the contract and all the other paperwork.

I'm still waiting for the super's office to call and set up the meeting. I guess they'll call on Wednesday.

Even though the principal told me it's mine and he showed me the room. ( He said , "Here's your room!)I still have this fear that the super will veto me and I'll have to sub again next year. Part of me is very excited and part of me is too scared to be excited!!!:) :confused:

13. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

When I got my first job last year, it took about 2-3 weeks for them to get back to me. I think they had to get it approved by the board first. I also had a hard time getting ahold of anyone when I called. (This was in July.)

It seems like things move pretty slowly in some districts in the summer. Maybe not so much at the end of the summer, but it seems like many district employees are out of the office often around this time.

14. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

Haha! That was me completely when I got my job! You don't believe it is real until you actually sign your contract. There were times during the year that I still couldn't believe I actually had a job. ;) Good luck with everything. :)

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

My principal could take forever to make up his mind, especially when confronted with a lot of resumes. Our teachers on the hiring panel are always frustrated with him because by the time he offers a job to a great prospect, they have already taken a job elsewhere. He tends to hire based on personality (people who won't question him; expect him to do something) rather than experience or knowledge. I had a 20 minute interview by a representative of the county and he hired me over the phone without even asking me 1 question.

16. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 3, 2006

I have a friend who is on her fourth week of waiting. She called Friday and they told her a decision had been made but they were not announcing anything until next (this) week. I figure they decided on someone else and want to give that person time to accept or turn down the job before they tell the other applicants.

I was very fortunate because mine hired me on the spot, but I don't think that is typical.

Keep your head up!!

17. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

The jobs I didn't get, I either received a letter a couple of weeks later or no response at all.

Both of the jobs I have accepted were quick. The first job I interviewed and within 2 days I got a call from the district with the official offer. The second one I interviewed with the team, the vice principal, and the principal all the same evening at a job fair. The fair was on Friday night, I got a call Tuesday morning with the offer.

I think it varies by district and by school. Don't give up!