How long does it take you to set up your room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Jul 31, 2012.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 7, 2012

I'm on day 6, BUT:
    1. My dad is in ICU, so I have to leave every 3 hours to visit him
    2. Our afternoon custodian chose this as his vacation week (school starts MONDAY!), so we can't stay past 2:30 - 3:00
    3. I chose to re-cover all of my student desks with dry-erase contact paper
    4. I am having to clean everything (including "blowing out" our computers) because no one else did over the summer!
    5. I can't get into my storage unit (climate controlled) until 8 a.m.

I'm exhausted! We have to report Thursday & Friday for PD, but the afternoon custodian will still be gone, so we still won't be able to stay past three! I really feel sorry for the teachers who haven't shown up yet and don't know the situation!

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I have been in there since last Thursday and I am still not done. But, I have only had short times in between meetings, but have been staying until about 6. This is a new school and new classroom, so that might be why it's taking me so long. I suppose it depends on how much of the details you are trying to complete at once. If you only need to set up the furniture and BBs, you might be able to do it in a day. But any decor, walls (like calendar for math), student jobs, student name tags, finding homes for materials, etc., will be more time consuming.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I hope everything is okay with your father!

That's crazy that the custodian took this week off. I think someone should have made him pick a different week. That's only going to make things very difficult for all of you. I wonder what will happen when the other teachers come in. Will they even be able to finish?

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 7, 2012

This is EXACTLY why I have to go in without anyone around.:lol:

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 7, 2012

Thoughts of prayers for you and your father!

I'm guessing you don't have a key to come and go as you need to. It's the little things like a key for unlimited access that makes life easier as a teacher.

Best wishes!

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 7, 2012

Thanks everyone! I had to drop something to office last seek so I thought I'd bring some stuff to start. None of my new furniture was assembled, & furniture that I had moved out in June was moved back in. I'm going in with my BF to bring all my stuff on Thursday, which was when I told the custodians I'd like to be in to start setting up. I'm hoping they'll have my room ready so I can go in Friday to do more. I'm away & have trainings for the next 2 weeks, so I really need this week!

I was told in June I'd be in a new room so everything was just thrown in in a very inorganized way.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 7, 2012

Thanks, all, for the prayers for my dad. He's been in ICU since last Wednesday, and things were really bad for a while, but he's slowly getting better. They took him off the ventilator last night!

Yes, I have a key - to my classroom (just got it yesterday), but it doesn't fit the gates to the property, or the office to turn off the alarms, etc., lol.

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2012

It usually takes me four to five days to get the room completely ready.