How long does it take you to love a class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by green_tea, Sep 10, 2013.

1. green_tea

green_tea Rookie

Sep 10, 2013

Hi :). I am a new user, but have lurked for a while.

This is my second year of teaching. I was hired mid-year after student teaching for 16 weeks last year - I quite literally finished student teaching on a Friday and took over a classroom the following Monday. I was handed a very challenging class, but had a great first year. I ADORED my kids and was sad to see the year end, but they were a tough crew. I was assured that my incoming class was a much easier group with far fewer issues.

This has proven to be true in many regards, but I am finding the class to be frustrating in different ways. They are slow to complete routine tasks and unable to follow simple directions for things we do each day (such as completing our agendas). The are easily bored. They don't, as a group, have much of a sense of humor. I don't get much back from them - they are not easily engaged. They are rather detached, spacey, and aloof.

I keep telling myself that it just takes time to love a class, and it will happen with this group.

Experienced teachers - how long does it take you to love a class? I know I won't adore every kid, but by week three I definitely loved the groups I student taught (I was in 2nd, then 5th), and I really loved the class I inherited mid-year (despite their challenges, they had great personality!).

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

As much as you hate to say it, some groups of students just don't mesh well. One year we were departmentalized and decided to ability group our kids. All three of us disliked teaching the middle/average kids. There was no competition or personality. It was very blah. We learned our lesson and never ability grouped again!

4. green_tea

green_tea Rookie

Sep 10, 2013

Thank you for replying, giraffe! I feel really bad for being so lukewarm on them, especially since everyone (from my principal on down) keeps saying, "Don't you LOVE your class this year?"

I WANT to love them!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

A few years ago I had a class that I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED! It was my best class ever and better than I could have ever hoped for. We all meshed really well and it was perfect.
    The next year, I found my class didn't measure up to them. It took me about 2/3 of the year to allow myself to like them. They WERE really likeable kids, but I mourned the loss of my previous year's class. I really regret that I 'wasted' so much time with them. I wish I had loved them sooner- it wasn't them at all. I just had to make up for it the last 1/3 of the year!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 10, 2013

One year I had a group I didn't even like until Christmas, and didn't love until after spring break. Then I was sad to see them go.

Another year I fell in love with them the first day. I still see them from time to time.

Each group has such a distinct personality. Takes longer to get some to grow on you.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 10, 2013

There's always a bit of reality check starting the year. A beginning of the year group is so much different than what you remember from the end of the previous year. You didn't have to deal so much with the beginning of the year stuff that's hard on every teacher. I usually feel significantly better when I make it to October.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 10, 2013

I've been wondering this too. We only just completed day 5. It's my second year, and I was VERY attached to last year's class. They were a fantastic group - I just adored them. Plus, they were my very first "real" class, and that just made them special to begin with. I really do like my class this year, but I'm wondering how long it's going to take to feel that "connection" like I felt last year.

But, in my case, it's only been 5 days! I'm hoping it comes eventually...I get impatient. ;)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

I think part of the problem is that you're comparing a mid-year class with one the first week of school.

By the middle of the year, they have an identity. They've been together for four or five months, there's a rythym to the class, and they know each other. Each class has a unique personality, for better or worse.

In September, on the other hand, they have just come together as a group. They don't have those same skills yet. And they're not yet a group; they're a bunch of individuals.

Give them time. You'll all bond and your class will develop its unique identity.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 11, 2013

I had the same feelings you're having last year. For various reasons, I didn't click with my class like I had with some others in the past. I didn't start to click with them until after Christmas. This year I really am enjoying my class a lot more. This is my 6th year and it's one of the better mix of personalities I've ever had :)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

As others have said, it varies. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it never does (although I've been lucky to never have that happen). It's happening really quickly for me this year; they are a great group of kids! They have lots of personality and are, so far, very respectful and flexible (you need to be while we are still, in some ways, a construction zone).

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 11, 2013

i start to love my class around mid to late October when everyone has gotten the rules and procedures down. where instead of shouting for attention, i can just give the kids a look or stop talking altogether and everyone comes back to attention. my favorite class was 3 years ago. they were low to average but very well behaved and lovable kids who tried hard. i also loved last years class. i had two ''bad'' kids but even they were such cool, funny, thoughtful little guys. i think it helps me to love my class when i have parental support. when i have difficult children and parents working against me it makes it harder to love b/c i feel like i cant put my guard down

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 13, 2013

This year they had me at 'hello'! I love my class!! But I have a perfect class this year after a really challenging class last year! September grade 1s are VERY different than June grade 1s, so it's always a bit of a shock. But this years class already has a special place in my heart!

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2013

I teach 6 levels and classes of kids, and I "get along" better with some. Some classes I have to try extra hard to get involved and relate to. Some are like butter. :thumb: Nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with the kids, sometimes it just doesn't flow.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 13, 2013

I generally end up loving my classes by the end of the first day, but it's important to remember that kids at the beginning of the year are very different from kids at the end of the year. My third graders come to me as second graders and leave me as fourth graders. Comparing my new group in September to the group that left me in June will always be terribly unfair to my new group. Seeing them learn and grow together is so much of the fun of having a new group!