How long does it take you to do lesson plans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie0809, Oct 25, 2015.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Oct 25, 2015

I do lesson plans every week, and we are required now to submit them that Friday morning before 8:00 a.m. It will take me hours to do my plans. However when I talk to others they say it only takes them about an hour. Our curriculum is posted online which is general but as you click through everything and the resources it gets more specific. What other teachers are going are just copying and pasting the general, very broad plans which is why it goes by faster.. I could do the same, but when I look at them I wouldn't know exactly what I'm supposed to do. For example: Here's a snippet of a general plan for math for one day

"Monday
    INTERACTIVE LEARNING 1: Exploring the Relative Position of 1 to 10 ENGAGE: Number of the Week: 7 (attached at the end of this document). Continue the same process as in Unit 7. MODEL:ORIGO-Stepping Stones: Module 3 Lesson 3: Small Group 2 and Extra Practice: ORIGO: Fundamentals: Along the Track Teach the game using the online Fundamentals gameboard. Students may play online with a partner or use the game board and cards (attached at the end of this document: run on cardstock). Create their own game board (GT). INTERACT/SCAFFOLD: Whole Group/ Small Group: Teacher Table: ORIGO-Stepping Stones: Module 3, Lesson 3: Extra Help; Extra Challenge Math Centers and Integrated Centers are located at the end of this document. MONITOR INDEPENDENCE: • ORIGO-Stepping Stones: Module 3 Check-Up 1 • ORIGO-Stepping Stones: Module 3 Lesson 3 Ongoing Practice p.41 Formative Assessment: Stand and Share Students will stand and share three examples of....."

I have to break that down simple for my plans to see exactly what I'm doing example:
    Interactive Learning 1-Explore the Relative Position of 1-10
    *Number Song

*Engage:Number of the Week:7

Model:Origo 3-3 SG2 and extra practice

*pairs break apart numbered cube track,mix together,reassemble

*Complete pg 11 using number cube

Origo:Fundamentals Along the Track

Interact and Scaffold (40)

*Whole Group/Small Group/Reteach/Centers-tubs"

*Origo 3-3 check up 1

FA stand and share

I used to copy and paste but it was harder for me to read plus there are multiple pages that print out. I don't know if they memorize everything they need to do, but I like to reference my plans throughout the day to make sure I stay on track. What do you prefer, or what is a fast and simple method?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 25, 2015

I have to do lesson plans weekly online too, and I find since I have 4 preps it takes me hours even though they're pretty general because I'm doing them from scratch. Mine are way more general than yours like I pretty much just include essential questions, objectives, standards, and occasionally list specific activities. The fact is, I don't always know exactly what im going to do a week and a half in advance and I'm more concerned about what's happening tomorrow since I've never taught these courses before (3 brand new preps!). I have a lesson plan book that I write in specific activities and the order I will do them in and usually I memorize them and occasionally reference them while teaching.

No one has told me that my plans arent specific enough and honestly I don't really think anyone looks. We are told they may be looked at prior to an unannounced observation to make sure they don't come in during a test and they have an idea about what the topic is.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Oct 25, 2015

Right...I'm self contained so I do all subjects. I don't think admin really looks at them that closely and may reference them before a walkthrough but just in case. I also don't like it because what I put on my plans may not actually happen, due to distractions in the classroom, unplanned need to reteach or review something,an activity that took longer than expected, etc. But, there have been some issues lately where teachers are being questioned if they aren't doing exactly what the plans say they are doing at that time.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 25, 2015

That has happened to another newer teacher too (being questioned), but that was the first year the plans were being implemented on us. I honestly wonder now if they admin really has that much time to really analyze our plans thoroughly.
    I feel the same way that I don't always follow through with my lessons on the exact day I had planned or I decide to change something. I hate having to back and change them, especially when I have to work on the following week.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 25, 2015

Since I'm currently teaching classes I've taught before, lesson plans generally do not take that much time at all. I've been able to get them ready in five minutes and I've had to spend an hour or so. A few weeks ago I had to do a major overhaul because our pacing guide changed and it took me about three hours to lay out a basic outline for the month.

My plans are WAY more simple than yours. We have to have ours available, but aren't expected to provide a lot of details. Basically they want to know what our topic for the day is and what activities are taking place.

Mine might look like this:

Do now: create a Venn diagram titled "Dogs vs. Cats"
    Vocabulary: define pet terms listed on board
    Notes: large animal pets
    Crash Course video - Farm animals
    timeline with partner - domestication of livestock animals

obviously I've substituted topics, but that's pretty much all I do.

7. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Oct 25, 2015

Ok. I'm also in a new grade level this year so everything is different.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2015

I have no patience for principals that expect that type of nonsense done a week in advance, and I have far, far less patience for principals who have the nerve to question somebody because they aren't at a specific spot at a specific time. For goodness sake, I write plans in advance, and I'm usually not off by much, but if a class catches on quicker than I expect, I'm not going to waste my time continuing that topic, and if a class doesn't catch on, I'm certainly not going to try and take them on yet.

bella84 likes this.
  9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2015

And for what it's worth, my lessons for a full day usually fit on the front of a printed page. They don't usually include objects, state standards, etc... because to be blunt, I already know what my objective is, and if I start teaching and forget the objective, I probably have bigger issues than my lesson plan.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 25, 2015

We each do our own thing and it usually takes me about 1-2 hours to get it all done & submit.
    I wish we had a curriculum to follow! My last school/job had a set curriculum so it was nice & easy & convenient! It took me about 30-40 minutes to get through a week's worth of lessons & tweak it to my liking.

11. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 25, 2015

I totally agree with you gr3teacher, but it is what it is.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 25, 2015

Exactly. If a principal was breathing down my neck that much, I'd just say 'see ya', and find another school.

My first year, I was writing my lesson plans the night before. The next year, the week before. The next year, two weeks before. I'm now at writing my lesson plans a month before, and getting most of it done before the year even starts, but that's because I know the majority of what I'm doing and only need to make tweaks here and there.

I do it all in Google Docs, nowhere near as detailed as the plans in the OP. This is my plan for a lesson this week:

-Kick Off
    -Quiz
    -Sticky Tape Lab

I don't need much more than that, as the progression can be easily determined from my materials. (I wrote all of my own materials, so they lead us through each activity.)

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 25, 2015

It can sometimes just take an hour or so, but at times it can be a couple of hours (I teach sci/ss). I don't use text books, and as part of my plans I find all my resources, create my tests, Mimios, etc. My principal is very understanding on the flexibility of the plans. I came from a school where my plans fit in a 2 inch box. Now they are more detailed. In my opinion, my lessons go better now. They are planned much more in depth and less off the cuff. This is year 19, but every year I change, tweak, and push myself, so using last year's plans isn't an option.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

I have four preps. Writing the actual plans takes me maybe 30 minutes. Mine include the standard(s), list of activities for each day, and homework. Obviously it takes me longer to pull everything together but for the most part I've taught everything before so even that isn't too hard right now.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

About an hour to 2 hours weekly. I keep my plans quite simple, and since we have a very structured math program combined with the fact I use Daily 5, I generally don't have too much craziness to get into.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 26, 2015

We only had to submit sample lesson plans 2-3 times per year just so they knew we were following the template suggested by the state. Now, because some teachers were lazy and not doing ANY lesson plans, we have to have them out before we leave for the day. It just takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2015

1/2 hour on weeks when I have to turn in...I use an online template and fill in changes. I don't go too in depth. For example, here's what I might list:
    Word work: blind sort with cooperative group
    Writing: personal narratives, use mentor text to model 'show, don't etll', independent writing, conferring
    Reading: character study, tracking inferences on character inner traits
    Math: analyzing bar graphs
    Science: complete food chain paper links project, brain pop food chain video and quiz

18. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Oct 27, 2015

Our school requires basic lesson plans. I teach three different preps, so I try to do three weeks at a time so I am only working on one class per week. The lesson plans take about an hour per week.

But really, my practical lesson plan is the PowerPoint that I make for each class daily. It includes my annoucements, notes, what I'm handing out, and the activities we're doing. I put pretty much everything in the PowerPoint so that I don't forget what we're doing. Sometimes I make adjustments based on time/ comprehension, but I am usually pretty accurate. If anything, I tend to under plan and have a few filler activities that we can do if I run out of time.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 27, 2015

It takes me about an hour to plan each subject for the week, but longer to gather/create materials. My lesson form is very simple.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 27, 2015

Lesson plans generally take me a few days to put together. This year we are implementing new curriculum and have new state standards to work with. Since ELL is very individualized every lesson seems to be constructed from scratch.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 27, 2015

Teachers in my district don't submit lesson plans (per the Master Agreement). We do, however, ask for two days worth of emergency sub plans.

Frankly, I don't have the time (or desire) to sift through 30 teachers' lesson plans. Bottom line is teachers are teaching and students are learning. If I walk into a classroom and have a question about what's going on, I'll ask (not during the lesson, of course).

I can wholeheartedly say that I've got an immensely talented group of teachers at my site.

22. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 28, 2015

We are required to turn in plans. Honestly, I don't know whether anyone ever looks at them. Mine were taking me around 4+ hours a week but now I'm down to about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Other than needing to have them done, we have very few requirements for them, and I probably make the task more difficult than it needs to be. I'm trying to simplify.

23. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Oct 28, 2015

We're required to submit our objectives for the core subjects every week and have some kind of "lesson plan" available in our classroom as well as a set of emergency sub plans. Last year (my first year) I spent hours working on plans I never looked at so I revamped them into something less time consuming and more effective for me.

24. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Oct 31, 2015

I am not required to submit my lessons, so it probably takes me less time compared to other teachers. I plan for the next week every Wednesday during my prep period. I make quick notes in a notebook on Wednesday and then type them out in detail on Friday evening. In total, I would estimate it takes me about 40 minutes to do my lesson plans.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 1, 2015

It takes me about ten minutes to plan my lessons. To type them in the required template, it takes about an hour. We are allowed to use a simpler template than in years' past. One year it took two hours to type the plans with all the required boxes. This is just for one subject. It's the only time I've been glad I am departmentalized and not self-contained.

I may have to create materials for lessons but I don't consider that lesson planning but lesson prep.