How long does it take to get adjusted to

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 4, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

getting up early, going to bed early so I know when I should give up my summer days of being able to go to sleep and wake up when I want to? :) I'm a first year teacher and this will be my first real full-time job that's logner so I'll need to adapt soon! :lol:

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

It depends on the individual, but I'd allow a couple of days at least!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

It takes me a little while to get used to it again but I try to start getting back into the routine a week or so before school starts. HARDDDDD to do on summer break! :)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

I still haven't mastered it! :lol:

My plan for myself is to start going to bed by 10ish and be up by 7ish about a week before school starts. Once school starts, I'll have to be up by 5:30 (I'll probably be teaching an early bird, which starts at 7 AM), but I'm not going to practice for that because it would be too painful! :)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2008

I've never had a problem with it. I am usually up by 9 at the very latest every day, but during the school year I have to get up at 6:00 (which is better than 5:30 from last year- our start time got pushed back).
    The other day I started setting my alarm for 9:00am and everyday I move it up 5 minutes. It was set for 8:40 today. Of course, only 1 morning did the alarm actually wake me up. Every other day I have woken up before it :lol: But, as I get closer to 8 and before it, it will be waking me up more often than not.
    Oh, and when I decide to go work in my classroom, I pretend it is a normal school day and get up and ready to be there by 7:30.

7. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I usually try the school/sleep routine about a week before school starts. With everything going on this week (teacher prep) and the first week of school, it is erratic!! The first day of school I am sometimes so exhausted I'm asleep on the couch at 5 p.m.!!!

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I don't even try. I usually can't sleep the night before the first day anyway, and after that I am so tired from getting used to school again (and not snacking when I want) that I fall asleep early every night from then on. And get up 5-530am range to get the dogs fed & walked, etc.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

I just go cold turkey :) IMy normal bedtime during school is 10pm and up at 6am. In the summer, usually 1am and up by about 8:30. The day before school, I will try to get to bed by 11 but it usually doesn't work. I am lucky that I never have any trouble getting up because I am a morning person. But by the end of second day of school I am sooo tried, it is easy to get back into my school rountine.

10. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am never used to it--I am not a morning person though. :(

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2008

I'd say about a week. I honestly don't like waking up early. I get used to it though.

12. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I'm a newbie as well. This week is my preplanning week (littles come next week!), and I have been awake since 5:30AM. It is now 6:30 AM, and I am trying to come up with things to do quietly downstairs so my husband doesn't murder me for waking him up at such an ungodly hour.

This has been going on since I started getting into the swing of things a few weeks ago. I will wake up on my own thinking of something that needs to be done or a new great idea or something, and I won't be able to go back to sleep. I should let you know that I am normally a very HARD sleeper and total night owl (not a morning person in the slightest).

Trust me, once you start getting up at 5:30 AM and have such overwhelming and exhausting days, you'll be begging for sleep by 7 PM. The cycle seems to work itself out.

13. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I can never get used to it, even though this is my second year teaching..My other occupations, even in college, required me to get up early. I'm not a morning person..even scheduled college classes for 10am at the earliest. I don't sleep much that night before anyway, every time I have something big the next day, I lay awake/ dream about all different kinds of scenarios. Today is our first day of 4 on meetings and prof dev. I went to bed at 10pm, tossed and turned got up a few times, a big storm came through an hour before I was to get up. I'm wondering how I'm typing this with such accuracy.

Anyway! I am never used to it, I just know I gotta do it, so I do. If school could start at 10 or 11 I'd be the happiest girl in the world.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

I get used to it around May... LOL Then I start waking up early during the summer. I don't start sleeping later in the summer til about 2 weeks before starting back to school. LOL Well, that's what is feels like anyway.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

We have preplanning the week before school and then I have a computer class the week before that. By the time I get through 2 weeks of getting up around 6:30-7:00 I will be ready to get up at 5:30 again.

16. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Waking up early is the one thing I dread about teaching. Last school year, I had to be up at 5:30 and would typically go to bed at 10. This year (luckily) I can sleep until 6:00, but will probably still go to bed at 10.

As for when I will start adjusting my bedtime, I probably won't. During the summer, I am still usually asleep by 11 at the latest, yet I somehow sleep until 8 - 8:30 everyday. Perhaps a few days before school starts I will set the alarm for 7 or 7:30.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

I tell myself that I will start going to bed earlier the week before I go back. Teachers go back on Monday at my school! Umm, I've been up later this week, I think, then I have all summer.

I'm actually kinda glad that we have, OMG, 4 weeks to practice getting up before the kids start in Sept. It helps to ease into things. It's the only reason I don't complain about going back to work so early. (short weeks, short days)

18. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I have been working at early schools for 10 years. I will never ever get used to waking up at 5:15. During the summer I get up between 6 and 7. I will probably try to get up by 6:00 during the preplanning week and go in a little early before all the meetings.

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

Usually takes me a month to readjust.

20. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I don't really try to realign my sleep schedule "that much". I might start trying to be to bed by midnight which is often normal during the school year. Typically, I am awaken by DH's alarm clock ranging from 5:30-6:00am. I get up and make his lunch while he's getting ready. Don't start on me about enabling him... uggh, I need to do some serious retraining. :lol: There are nights that I do not go to bed until later but I still manage to function just fine... actually I do my best with 5-6hrs of sleep MAX.

21. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I wish I could do well with that little sleep. I need my 8 hours. Well I usually function on 7 during the school year.