How long does it take in your state?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alyssa20, Dec 16, 2017.

1. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 18, 2017

You haven’t even taken the test yet so I couldn’t be talking about you yet. Hopefully i wont ever because you’ll pass. Keep in mind, you don’t get to decide placement, and no one would believe 5 years in when they moved you to 5th grade, you’d announce you’d be doing a disservice to children and leave. I’m sure plenty of teachers on this forum could tell you stories of teachers being switched right before school starts.

Every teacher needs a certain level of basic skills to fully understand enough to teach concepts correctly and effectively. They also need to be able to anticipate mistakes and to understand how to correct them.

Does a heart surgeon not need a basic level of knowledge of the brain since they do their work below the neck?

2. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017

I see job listings on Edjoin plenty of times specifically for certain grade levels. The CSET isn't 'basic' it's very in depth and focuses on topics that I didn't learn until I was at least in Junior High (I'm 24, so it wasn't that long ago). I just feel it isn't justified to throw passionate educators into an exam and judge them based on that. I'm a very passionate and dedicated person; I would be a great teacher. It's not my dream to teacher upper graders...I wouldn't enjoy, especially since I've already experienced that while subbing. I just enjoy little kids more and intend to stick to that grade level. My 2nd grade teacher, is still teaching 2nd grade today. Not everyone is moved.

3. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Dec 18, 2017

That wasn't true for me at my CSU. Even though I was a Liberal Studies (Pre-Cred) major I had to take all the CSETS before I could be accepted into the credential program. The same was true for a friend who received her BA/credential from the same CSU as me just this May.

And be prepared to teach an upper grade during your student teaching. Since Multiple Subject credentials cover K-8th I've hear most programs assign you a lower grade for one semester and an upper grade for the other during your student teaching. I prefer teaching primary grades but as a student teacher I was placed with kindergarten class and then a 5th grade class.

4. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017

The waiver is a recent thing currently happening. CSU Stanislaus just got theirs waived in October, my friend majored in Liberal Studies and decided to wait to see if the waiver passed before taking the CSETS. My point is that many Liberal Studies graduates are being waived. I just feel it isn't fair for the rest of us. If they allowed everyone the option to take a course instead, then it'd be fair. I mean, for American Government and Writing they allow the option to take a course. I don't understand why everyone can't have that option for CSETS. If a course covers the same as the exams, why not? It's not like courses don't have multiple exams within the semester anyways.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 18, 2017

Your 2nd grade teacher is the exception not the rule. Standards for teachers aren’t high enough as it is. They should make the tests harder if you ask me.

Again, nothing personal.

6. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 18, 2017

Harder? There's already a 60% passing rate. I don't understand this country's fixation on exams. Exams don't equal intelligence. They just equal a standard that the 'higher ups' feel equals intelligence; which is unethical imo. Just because people's brains work differently and people have different learning styles, doesn't make them uneducated. I work best being taught. Having an instructor, assignments, and guidance throughout a semester is a method that I can learn from without feeling stressed and belittled. It's great that some people can pass an exam without having to study or worry much, but not everyone is like that. Many people pass all 3 exams the first time without even studying. How is that they are able to, yet I have to push myself hard to pass? It doesn't seem justified to judge people based on their ability to pass exams. I feel effort and dedication shows much more.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 18, 2017

There are plenty of lousy teachers out there. I had my share as a student. Too often the deciding factor is who you know or what you look like. If there were fewer qualified people, the kids would receive better quality candidates. Everyone is always trumpeting what they do in Finland. Getting into their teaching schools is like getting into our med schools.

Simply put, it’s not about you. It’s about the kids.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 18, 2017

I don't think this is necessarily true. I knew a few teachers who had to retake the CSETs and they were very good teachers. Some just weren't great at testing or they built up their knowledge after the fact.

Consequently, I knew more than a few teachers who were great experts in their subject, but they didn't last more than a year or two. Some left within their first year or dropped out of the program because they couldn't hack it with kids. And the kids HATED them.

I think having a teacher who knows how to work well with kids who may not be a complete expert in their subject (but takes steps to rectify that) is preferable to the "sage on the stage" types who know it all but can't educate (or connect with in any capacity for that matter) another human being to save their lives.

9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Dec 19, 2017

Alyssa your passion is commendable. I wish you the best of luck in your bid to become a qualified teacher. I know you only want to teach a certain age group but you need to know that in this profession it’s about the kids as it should be and oftentimes we are called to do things we don’t want to, including teach an age group we don’t prefer. The P has to put the needs of the school and kids first. As teachers we have almost always had to make these sacrifices at least once or twice. We can’t just quit (I mean of course you can) when this happens, which it most probably will, especially to a new teacher/new hire with no seniority. It’s a good learning experience even if you don’t think so at the time! So bear that in mind when you become qualified.

As for the tests, they rightly should be difficult to pass. I think this is for the benefit of the teacher and the kids. Teaching isn’t just any other profession and it’s not for everyone; not everyone can and should be a teacher; students have a right to a good teacher. Don’t give up. If you truly have the passion to teach, don’t give up.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 19, 2017

Obviously you miss my point if you think I believe classrooms should be staffed only by people who can successfully pass a test. That would be the same as focuses only on people who work well with children. Btw, that job already exists. Nanny/babysitter. You need more than that to teach.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 19, 2017

That's true. I'm just saying that if we teach our students to not be afraid of failure and to get up and try again and learn, we should be okay with failure ourselves. There's no shame to taking a test more than once as long as they picked themselves up and learned the information they needed to know.

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 19, 2017

Trust me, I happily fail at things regularly.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 19, 2017

Good to hear!