How long do you wait for an answer??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, May 25, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 25, 2009

Went on my first interview 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything. I assume I did not get the job because I'm sure they would have let me know by now.
    But even if you do not get the job are they required to tell you "no" or are you just supposed to call or assume?

How long do you normally wait? How long is too long?

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 25, 2009

I never just waited - I went on interviews, sent out thank you letters, followed up a week or so later, but still kept looking and applying for other positions.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 25, 2009

Your right. I am not actually waiting but waiting at the same time. I'm still looking and applying but its still in the back of my mind.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 25, 2009

No, schools aren't required to tell you that you're not being hired. It's a nice courtest, but it's definitely not required. Boo. Definitely ask what is the timeline for hiring for the position so that you know when to check in around.

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 25, 2009

Okay thanks. Didn't know they were not required and didn't know you could ask for a timeline.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2009

If its been two weeks, I would give them a call. With end of the year winding down, they could just be busy.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 26, 2009

It is not required to tell someone if they did not get a job, but a lot of times they'll send a rejection letter after everything is all set with their first choice, so sometimes a rejection letter can take weeks to come after the interview. But call them, this is a busy time of year and they may have not made a decision yet.

9. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

May 26, 2009

I happened to be in town from out of state about 3 weeks ago and the principal interviewed me for a position. (She has 3 openings), She told me it would be at LEAST a week before she would even be able to start interviews with others....

Well, I immediately sent a thank you letter..then the next week I sent a "follow-up" just letting her know of a "reference change" (one of my references became a principal of another school and so her contact info changed)- I then waited another week and officially "followed up" on the progress with interviews and she then told me she had not even yet started interviews yet (this allowed me to at least find out that I was not just getting ditched..)- She told me she would let me know regardless... And now it's been ANOTHER week almost and I emailed her again today to let her know my new address because in a week and a half I will be moving to the new state- so I updated her with MY CONTACT info. I try to keep in contact and send her something else weekly so that she knows I'm still interested and on top of things...and that i'm NOT GOING ANYWHERE until she lets me know if I get the job or not :)