How long do you think it would take you to realize you lost your purse or wallet?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 4, 2009

So...yesterday I found a purse laying on the ground around 2 p.m. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I put it in my car, thinking I'd look for ID and mail it back to the person.

The purse contained credit cards, a liscense, social security card, money and lots of other valuables.

However, the post office was closed, so I drove home and took it in the house thinking I'd mail it Monday.

Around 11 p.m. it occured to me that the person was probably worried and to check and see if they had a facebook or myspace account and email them so they could be at ease.

I found her on FB and let her know I had her bag. And do you know what? She didn't email me back until the next morning around 9 a.m. and was like, "OMG! I didn't even realize my purse was missing until just now when I saw your email."

I was so surprised that she could go for so long without realizing it was missing. How long do you think it would have taken you guys?

I've misplaced my purse before and I usually notice within an hour or two.

EDIT: it wasn't like she was a young girl. according to her liscense, she's a year older than me (26), which confused me further.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 4, 2009

That's strange that she didn't notice for that long. Whenever I come home for the day, I bring my purse upstairs to a certain room where it stays in the same chair until I go out again, so it would be very strange if I didn't notice mine missing w/i an hour at most.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 4, 2009

Maybe she'll keep better track of her valuables now...

My wallet was stolen in high school (5 years ago) and I'm a nut about knowing where my purse is at all times.

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

That is odd! If I am not at work, I have it where I can see it, or in my closet, but I know where it is always. At work, it is locked in my filing cabinet. I think it would be hard for me to not notice that it was missing.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

Is it possible that she's a young mom? Once you're occupied with 1 or 2 young kids, they take over your world. Assuming she had her car and house keys in her hand when she dropped her purse, I can see it happening.

Of course, her diaper bag would have been noticed immediately!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

The best thing is to do in the future if you find a purse or wallet is to take it to the police station.

Me? I'd notice right away. EVERYTHING is in my purse.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

Alice has a point. It could be several days before I noticed my big purse was missing. Half the time I grab my little wallet, which contains my DL and my bank card, and keys and go. Whne the kids were little, I'd throw them in the diaper bag and that would be what I'd carry. I could have gone days or even weeks before I'd have noticed my big purse was missing.

9. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

I would like to think I would notice within a few hours. It always sits on the side of my desk at home which is in the middle of the living room. At work it is in the back of my file drawer - no locks for us :( I have a harder time keeping track of my debit card or license as I often just take those out with me.

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 4, 2009

WOW! Days or Weeks?! Yikes! I still wonder how did she pay for stuff because her wallet, credit card and money were all in the bag. Maybe her husband or boyfriend usually covers her?

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

I think for me, it would be possible not to know. I might forget what purse I brought and if I didn't go back out again I wouldn't think about it.

No probable, but possible

12. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Alice -
    That makes a lot of sense actually. I didn't ask her how she went for so long without noticing because I thought it would be really rude (plus she was in a rush because she had to be at work in an hour), but if she has kids or is working & going to school, maybe she really got busy and just didn't realize it was gone. :thumb:

Hmm...now I see why people wear fanny packs! (though i REFUSE to wear one unless absolutely necessary because I don't like the way they look)

13. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Sue, AH another good point. I'm kinda simplistic -- I carry one purse until it's completely worn out OR I'm tired of it. Then I throw it away or shelf it and get a new bag which I wear constantly.

For instance, the purse I carry now is the same one I have been carrying for almost a year and a half. But if I changed purses based on my outfit or more often, it'd be possible not to notice

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

My little wallet contains my DL and my bank card. I rarely use credit cards or have a need to show my work ID's. I'd notice if my little wallet was gone, but not my purse or my big wallet.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

It wouldn't take me that long to realize that my purse had gone missing, but I can understand with young children it would be easy to not catch it for a few hours.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

hmmph. my wallet was probably stolen in the middle of december, I keep it in my car, and it must have been stolen right out of it. it took me a few days to realize it was missing, just because i did not need it, and then I just figured it was in my other purse, but I am pretty sure that it was stolen, and this was about three weeks ago.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 4, 2009

I wouldn't notice right away. If I was shopping and had all kinds of bags on my shoulder, a diaperbag, or my school bag, I might come in and throw everything down and not think of it. There are plenty of times where I came home and forgot it in the car until the next morning. That would almost be the same as leaving it somewhere until the next morning.

This reminds me of the time I left my purse in a gas station bathroom in the middle of Illinois while returning from a vacation. My husband's phone rang when we were almost to Missouri and it was the gas station calling. We had to turn back. EEK! I am reminded of this on a regular basis.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

I left mine in a class where I subbed one day. I had to call the school district office, who called the teacher, who met me at the school so I could get it before I had to go out of town the next morning!!!!!

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

20. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 4, 2009

I'm in the "who knows how long" category. After attending meeting, I apparently set my purse down in front of another classsroom where I stopped to do an observation. I left after about 30 minutes with my keys still in my hands but no purse. I didn't realize it until a full two days later when I went to get a phone number from my cell phone for another teacher. I had no idea where my purse was and left school thinking it was at home. When it wasn't an announcement was made over the PA about my purse and low and behold, the students in that same class knew where my purse was and pointed it out to the teacher. Everyone was shocked, my iPod, cell phone, billfold, etc was all there.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

How in the world did you get 3 boys in a diaper bag? That must have been one big bag...:toofunny:

oh, i crack myself up!

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 4, 2009

Oh I am cracking up too...loudly.

23. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 4, 2009

I think I would know right away...

I just wanted to say that I think it was incredibly ingenuous to look on facebook or myspace to see if you could find her. I never in a million years would have thought to do that!

You have a good heart.:love:

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

:rofl: :toofunny:

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

Them is modifying objects in a previous sentence :p. Misplaced modifiers are FUN

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

Fun times on aToz on a Sunday...:lol: