how long do you stay out with a cold?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangepurple, Nov 17, 2013.

1. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Nov 17, 2013

I had been doing really well at avoiding colds for the last few years--but now I am sick. I'm obviously not OK to go in tomorrow, but how long do you usually stay home?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

I usually go in unless it's bronchitis or I'm throwing up or am recovering from surgery.

Then again, I have 3 kids-- I really don't want to use days for ME unless I have no choice. And even before I had kids, I've always hated calling in sick unless I really have no choice.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

I've never been out sick for more than one day at a time.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

I was sick earlier this year and took two days off. It was perfect.

Last year I was very, very sick. Very sick. This year I have decided that I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid getting that sick again, even if it means taking days off for an illness that might not have warranted days off before. I would rather take a day or two off and be back on my feet after that time than try to power through, get worse, and end up out for a week or more.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

Normally I take off one day. However, a few years ago I had a really bad ear infection combined with a cold that left me near deaf for two weeks (I had to watch television with captions) so I took off three days before Spring Break. Luckily by the time school was back in session I felt much better.

I don't think I've ever taken off two days in a row.

7. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Nov 17, 2013

I think you have to take it day by day--see how you feel the next day.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 17, 2013

The most I've taken is 2 days, but they weren't consecutive. I stayed home 1 day, tried to teach the next day and then took the following day as well.

I go unless I'm absolutely a mess, so I take 1-2 sick days per year.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 17, 2013

If I'm not running fever I go, not because I'm a martyr, but I'd rather go sick than prepare for a sub! Lol

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

I don't take off for colds. I get bronchitis about every other year (it's amazingly predictable...) so I'll take off for that. And I would for flu/strep, etc but not for colds. I try to save as much sick time as I can (plus I take "mental health" days occasionally).

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

I have mild asthma that gets a lot worse if I get a chest cold and is very aggravated by talking. In those situations, I've taken up to 3 days off in a row. Luckily that's only happened twice in my 6 years teaching.

I did also have the flu once and ended up taking a whole week. It was purely awful!!!

But anyway, when deciding how much to take, I go day by day and see how I feel. I take off without regret when legitimately needed. The kids will survive just fine without us for 1 (or 2, or 3...) days.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 17, 2013

:yeahthat:

Me, too. I'll just stay no longer than contracted time and come home and sleep.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 17, 2013

I only take off for vomiting. I can work through anything else.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

I always go in if I feel that I can somehow make it through the day. If I can't, then I'm just out 1 day. It's so much harder telling someone what to do than just doing it yourself, so it's almost not worth it. We have very few subs, and there is really just 1 or 2 our P is happy with, so if I'm out, there's a chance I return to a disaster.

On the positive note though, when I'm sick or the kids know that something is off (I'm awfully tired, etc) they're usually really good, bless their heart :) So I just suffer through if I have to.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

I also go in unless I'm running a fever. It takes longer, and is more stressful, for me to be out than for me to just truck through. As an added bonus, the kids usually can tell that I'm not feeling great and give their best behavior. Last year, one little girl could tell I wasn't feeling well... when my class switched for social studies, she asked my teammate if she could call her mom... long story short, I had a nice, hot cup of chicken soup waiting for me at lunch time (and a parent eager for me to clarify that I was not running a fever, and that I had checked it repeatedly:) )

16. teachart

teachart Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

I took 2 days off for strep, first day I went to urgent care and the second day so I would have a full day of antibiotics in my system. I see all the kids and I didn't want to spread the germs. I should have taken 3 days off but I only get 8 sick days.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 17, 2013

I wouldn't take off for a cold. I have sinus issues and will occasionally lose my voice. If that happens I take a day off because I figure I'm not really helping the students any in that condition anyway. I get a lot of sleep and that seems to help.

As others mentioned, for me it's more hassle to be out and deal with sub plans than to take a day off.

18. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Nov 17, 2013

Like a lot of others here, I don't generally take off for colds. I usually go in unless I have flu-like symptoms. I might take off for a very bad cough, but it has never been necessary. This is mostly out of guilt, I feel awful taking days off even when I am deathly ill.

I think it really depends on you, though. If you're not feeling up to going in, don't go. No good for you or the students if you are miserable all day.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 17, 2013

The subs they give me are insanely terrible. I not only have to prep for a sub, but do extra work to recover the day after. I usually go in unless I'm on my deathbed.

20. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

I rarely take off for a cold but at times have taken off a day.

I remember my first year teaching I got so many colds I could tell you what day I would be feeling better depending on what day I started feeling symptoms. That year when January rolled around and I hadn't been out yet, I got sick on a Monday. I knew without taking a day off that this would mean I would be sick the whole week. It wasn't worth it to me and I took the day.

21. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

I'd be pretty annoyed if my students took off every time they got a little cold. Fever, flu, vomiting, I think everyone pretty universally said they'd stay home, but a cold? I'd expect my kids to cart around some tissues and hand sanitizer and suck it up for a minor bug. Cold season is nearly constant around here.

22. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 17, 2013

I've never taken days off for a cold. I can't afford the days for that because I sometimes get cold symptoms that last for all of fall and all of winter. This is my second year of teaching and I don't think I've quite built up my immune system yet!

I've actually only taken one sick day in my two years of teaching. It was at the beginning of this year for the stomach flu. Fortunately, it was on a Friday and right before labor day which gave me extra time to recover.

I would take off for strep or anything with a fever.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2013

I rarely stay home sick. Right now I have too many after school groups so it's really difficult for me to be gone.

24. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2013

Starting a maternity leave position in a few weeks - even though it'll be through May or so, I don't get any sick days, so every day I'm out is a loss of a day's pay plus all the extra time to plan for a sub. Definitely won't be staying home sick unless it's vital.

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

I've only taken sick days for:
    -Vomiting
    -Laryngitis, tonsillitis, and bronchitis (had all 3 at once)

I usually go to school with a cold. Although, the day before winter break last year, I had a cold and definitely should have stayed home. I was miserable, but since there was only 1 more day until winter break I figured I could survive. I'll never forget that day-it was just awful.

26. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 18, 2013

I stay home if I have a fever or if I feel that I will spread my germs to other teachers. Sometimes it is better to take a day or two if needed.

27. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 18, 2013

I usually stay home if I have an unbearable sore throat. For me, that's the worse part of a cold. Sniffles or cough I bear through it.

If I have a fever, I stay home. I find it incredibly inconsiderate when I hear of teachers who have fevers (and are thus contagious) still going to school. Not only are they risking spreading disease to their students, but co-workers.

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

I think it is all dependent on the individual. I used to be able to power through just about anything, then I contracted whooping cough. Since then, any little virus will drag me down to the point of dropping. Inevitably, what starts as a cold will settle in my weakened lungs, and I am down for the count. So I'm with what Caesar said earlier-do whatever is in your power to feel better, even if that is taking days off. The kids deserve your best.

FWIW, I'm at work today, miserable. I'm sitting in my office trying to not move. But I work alone, and I don't have anyone to come in for me. If I did, I'd be in bed right now.

29. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 18, 2013

I agree with the sentiment that it's more stressful to prepare for a sub than to just come in sick for a few days.

If I'm sick I may just do an easy lesson that day which doesn't involve a lot of talking, or maybe show a film on the subject we're studying.

But getting together a lesson for a sub, even a very simple one is very stressful. :unsure:

I would probably take a sick day if I were feeling nauseous or really ill. I remember one day (before I was teaching) that I had horrible horrible food poisoning from a staff lunch. There was no way I could make it to work that day. Luckily, the entire company was out for the same reason. That wasn't very pretty.

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 18, 2013

As someone with a pretty weak immune system, I tend to just take a day off when I have a bad cold, instead of letting it progress and worsen further. In my mind a day off in the beginning of an illness is better than a week off later on.

31. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 18, 2013

I don't take off for colds unless I have one of those really nasty head colds where I am coughing and sneezing and running through tissues all day. In that case, I know I am contagious and that others don't want to be around it. The only time I went in with such a bad cold was during state testing. You'd better be dead to call out then.

32. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Nov 18, 2013

I think part of it is the sneezing and going through a whole box of tissues right next to all those other people. It seems disgusting and makes me worry about getting everyone else sick, too. Once that part settles down, if I'm just stuffed up, I would much rather work than deal with preparing for a sub, dealing with all the things I missed.

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2013

I totally get that. I, for one, appreciate that you're considering staying home if you think you're contagious. I can't stand it when my students or coworkers come to school sick and then make me sick. Hate it.

34. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 18, 2013

I wouldn't call in sick unless it was more than just a cold. I've only called in sick twice (plus a few extra times when my kids have been sick and I've had to stay home with them) in the past 4 years I've been a teacher. It's too much work prepping for and recovering from a sub. Plus, the vast majority of the subs in my district are AWFUL - sorry to say... :(

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

I agree.

If I feel like crap, I stay home. I don't give it too much thought.

36. AliceB

AliceB Rookie

Nov 19, 2013

If I can't get out of bed (achy, sneezing, sore throat) then I stay home. Usually only 1 day I take off and load up on vitamins and medicine to get better as quickly as possible.

37. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Nov 21, 2013

Two is my max.

38. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2013

I have not taken a day off over the past 2 years because, luckily, I have not gotten so sick that I can't get out of bed. I might have a cough/sore throat/headache, but I go in anyway because my school does not hire subs (unless they are LT).

When someone is absent, the rest of the team must cover that person's classes during their plan. This leads to all kinds of resentment towards the absent teacher, even though this is really Admin's fault. I'm used to this subbing-during-plan thing, but for all the new teachers to my school, this really upsets them.