How long do you spend making lesson plans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

How long does it take you to make out lesson plans? I am spending way too much time on this. I teach 3rd grade and I spend at least an hour just typing them out. Next, I have to try and gather all of what I need for the lessons and there is no telling how long I spend on that. What am I doing wrong? How long do you spend on this task to have everything ready?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2009

I usually spend about 20 minutes writing my lesson plans. I have been teaching for 15 years, so I know what I have in my file cabinets. I don't teach the same things every year, but because I know what's in my files, I don't have to go searching for it. Also, we do not have to turn in long written out plans. We just use what ever planbook works for us.
    Now, if I'm planning a brand new unit, as I am right now, I'll spend hours scouring the internet for ideas or looking through other novel unit plans to see what I can adapt.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

I'm a first year teacher teaching a new subject area. I would estimate I spend 3-5 hours per class getting my weekly lesson plans together. And then during the week I'll often spend more time fine tuning it, or actually getting it together. Like if I decide on a review game that we're going to play on Friday, I might wait until later in the week to create the game and then that can take another hour or two. I'm definitely looking forward to when I'm more familiar with my subject area, and when I'll have more things I'll have already created and can use again. Like I made two end of term Jeopardy games last week that I spent a lot of time on, but now I have them for when I teach those classes again.

I enjoy scouring the internet for new ideas and creating stuff. So although that does take a lot of time, it's time I don't mind spending.

5. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jan 19, 2009

About one hour. During the week I have the papers I need run off so I only have to place in the daily folders. I also go through my monthly box and pull all of the holiday, extra worksheets I plan on using for the following month at least one week before the next month starts.

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

So far for my first two years, I'm averaging about 3 hours per night working on plans for my 4 preps, and I expect that'll go down next year sometime.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

It all depends. I tend to do unit plans before I start new units and it is really helpful. I spend A LOT of time making them but then the actually planning is a piece of cake.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

Yes, the gathering of materials takes the time. But, with careful organization, you can repeat the same stuff next year.

I have seen teachers go to their file, pull out last year's lesson, and copy it for this year. Done.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2009

About 30 minutes to organize and type. But I spend a lot of time finding interesting ideas from web sites and from other teachers. A lot. Too much. Probably 3 hours per week collaborating with the other teachers at my school and maybe another 3 hours on the weekend looking up things and making posters and activity cards, etc.

10. Camel & Walrus

Camel & Walrus Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

Depends on the school/classroom etc.

Could be several hours for several different lessons. Could be the time between my hand touching the door handle and the door opening.

11. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 21, 2009

About 10-30 minutes a day for each of my two classes. Like Mrs. R, I've been teaching 12 years and I have already put in the long hours preparing each unit. Each year I modify and add different things, but the basic plan is there. It seems that the longer you teach, the less time there is in planning and lesson plans.