How long do you keep...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by gpsysngbrd, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 27, 2012

Wasn't sure where to post this but I figure that this would be as good a place as any. I was wondering how long you keep letters, cards, notes from students, parents, etc.

Not the ones that could practically be reference letters but the ones you get for holidays or at the end of the year with student's pictures and that say "I'll miss you". Ive been teaching for about 8 years now and I've kept almost all of them but I'm moving and the new name of the game is DOWNsizing so I'm debating whether to keep them or not. I do enjoy looking at them but I really only do when I add a few new ones to the box.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

The standard ones I toss... there simply isn't enough room in the house to save every note you get over the years.

But the ones that really pull on my heartstrings get saved.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

When we cleaned out my husband's grandmother's house, she had kept every card she ever received. My mother-in-law, too. I didn't see the point in that since they stashed them and never looked at them. My vote is keep a few favorites and use the covers of the rest as cutting practice or a collage for your kiddos so you are repurposing them.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2012

I agree. The ones I especially like or are unique, I hold onto longer.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

I keep it all in a box. When I left my last job and moved to PA, I did a real simple scrapbook of everything. But then again, I would imagine you get A LOT more of that kind of stuff as a kindergarten teacher than I do in high school.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 27, 2012

Same here. If there is a gift or gift card that gets noted on the card so that I can get thank you notes to the proper people. The most meaningful go into my "happy notes" file. The rest end up in the round file. If there is a photo attached I'll remove it first.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

I was just talking about that with one of my coworkers! I have a folder in my filing cabinet where I keep those and any other commendation letters from the administration. Like other posters mentioned, I don't necessarily save all of them, though.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

I usually hang them up until the end of the year. At the end of the year, most get tossed. Especially heart-felt/special ones are saved.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 27, 2012

I only have about a year and a half worth of notes and letters, but it's a lot. I don't think I'll ever throw them away, and knowing myself, I'll keep 10 years worth of stuff :)

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

I've been teaching seven years. I've kept every one. But, of course... I'm in middle school; I agree that Kinder teachers probably have boatloads more.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

If it's not a keepsake, a few weeks or a month.

I put all of the keepsakes into a file folder.
    At the end of the year, I add them to a scrapbook. It's NOT FANCY...takes me an hour tops. But it has the class photo, a few kind words from students or parents, and a place where I tuck 10 memorable photos.