How long do interviews usually last?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by katsnips, Jun 26, 2008.

1. katsnips

katsnips Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I have an interview next week for my dream job! The principal scheduled the interview from 8:30 to 9:00 and I thought the process would take longer than that. I am beginning to think this is just a courtesy interview. This is my first interview so I am new to this. Is 30 minutes long enough?

3. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I have been on some that have lasted 30 minutes and then a few others have lasted an hour and a half. Just depends. The longer one I talked with the team of teachers first and then moved on to talking with the principal and one other person. I don't think you have to worry about it only being 30 minutes. Good luck!

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 26, 2008

When I was on an interview team, all of our interviews were scheduled for 30min. Don't worry and GOOD LUCK!!!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2008

30 minutes is about how long my interviews were. Some were a little shorter and some a little longer. Good luck!

6. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 26, 2008

The last interview I went on I was told that I had 20 minutes. The way the woman said it, it sounded like she'd said that several times before.... like a script or something.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 26, 2008

Mine was an hour and a half, but included a tour. I think 30 mins is on the "short side" of sufficient :) I wouldn't worry

8. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 26, 2008

My last interview was unique. I was in Illinois at my SIL's wedding. I was a bridesmaid and had this hairdo straight from the pages of a prom magazine. The principal met me in a town about 1 hour from the school. He brought his wife with him. We drove to the school, walked around, looked at the classrooms and other facilities and just talked for a while. I don't think he asked any real questions except "Why are you trying to move to our area?" He drove me back to where we had left my car and said "What do you think, are you going to come to work for me?" I asked him if he would like my application and resume since he hadn't asked for them. He told me he would find us a place to live (tiny town, no apartments, no close large town) and to call him on Monday with my answer.

On the plus side, I can honestly say he was the best principal that I ever had ( I have worked under 9 since beginning teaching). He was here to support the teachers and always had our back. He wasn't afraid to tell students what they needed to hear. The kids respected him and actually liked him. I miss him. He retired a few years back and things just haven't been the same since.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 26, 2008

I think it is about average - more than enough time for questions and answers. I had shorter around 15 minutes and it felt like an assembly line and longer ones which lasted close to 1 hr or more. I wouldn't worry about the time at all.

:)

10. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I went on a 2nd interview today which was about 1 hour. Interview #1 was an hour also.