How long did you wait after your interview before getting hired?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mary2122, Jun 26, 2012.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Hello everyone. I had an interview/demo lesson last wednesday at an elementary school. I think it went well...i have no regrets...and they seemed impressed by me. I really really want this position. I have never wanted a position more! I know that it has not even been a week yet but since I want this so bad, I am literally staring at my phone hoping they will call me! I know it is the end of the year....so it must be a very busy time for all of the administrators.

This is my very first teaching interview. And I was wondering how long all of you hired teachers waited before hearing from the administrators. I already send a thank you letter....should I follow up with them at any point. I want to seem proactive yet not clingy and annoying. Any help would be appreciated!

3. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 26, 2012

This is a common question in the job seekers forum, I'd head over there and browse the threads. You'll find lots of useful information. You can also use the advanced search feature for the forums and search thread titles. :)

Edit: Here's a recent thread on this - http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=160614

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2012

For my very last interview/hiring (for a new school I will start at in August) I interviewd once, then came in a second time to do a 45-minute lesson. After the lesson the P took me to her office, talked about the lesson, then welcomed me to the school.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

It really depends on the school and principal. Sometimes it can be as soon as the interview is over, other times it can be months.

6. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Thank you all,,i had a feeling it really depends. I am just unsure if I should send an email maybe after 2 weeks to follow up? or maybe sooner?

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 26, 2012

After a demo lesson I think after a week is fine to do a follow up. Hope you get it!

8. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Thanks so much!!!

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2012

I had the interview one day, they asked me for a demo the next day and then they offered me the job after the demo. But it was also the middle of the school year and the previous teacher had been gone for quite awhile so they were eager to get someone in there fast. They said it was the demo that sealed the deal. Did you discuss when you might be hearing from them at the interview? I'd say a week would be a decent amount of time.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 26, 2012

I was offered one job about 2 days after my interview, and I was offered 2 other jobs just a few hours after my interviews.

I agree with waiting 1 week and then calling. GOOD LUCK!

11. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Thank you all! I have to be honest...hearing that many of you received responses so soon is making me nervous! I forgot to say that my friend is a teacher in that school so I have some insider info. :) She said that they are super busy...their last day of school was today. Do you think because it is the end of the year that I should be a bit more patient and that it could delay the process?

Also...what should I say in the follow up letter...I have never done this before! I fear that I will sound pushy and impatient! I really just want to know if this process with take weeks...months...if they hired someone already...i basically just dont want to go crazy. It would be so awesome if I knew I had a job for the fall so I can truly have a relaxing summer!

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 26, 2012

The end of the year is a crazy time, so it is definitely possible they are busy with other things. For my last job, I interviewed on Tuesday, the board meeting was the next Monday so I knew they were working on a short timeline. They called me on Thursday to let me know I was being recommended to the board. It just depends on their timeline. Can you look up when the next board meeting is?

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2012

It all depends. For instance, in my school we have several openings and people were interviewed at the end of May for the positions. Before anyone could be hired the positions had to be posted internally, and then my principal went on vacation. It will be a month since the interviews by the time she gets back to offer any positions.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2012

I've always gotten the offer during the interview, that day or the next day.

From reading this board, that doesn't seem that common.

15. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 27, 2012

I'm not a US teacher, but still.. ;-)

The least time was about 2 minutes (jut took the elevator down and they called me to say I was hired before I left the elevator.

The most time after an interview before I was hired was 2 hours.

(Here we interview in one meeting with the principal, wice principal and someone from the union. They check references before you come to the interview, then we talk and show recommandations one might have and that's it. No practise lessons in classrooms.)

16. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 27, 2012

I've waited anywhere from 30 minutes to a week to hear back from a school! They have all given me some sort of time frame to get back to me though!

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

I'd say 2 days to a week is fairly common.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

I agree with keeping an eye out on their board meetings. It's not perfect but it can definitely be helpful.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 27, 2012

I was offered a position about 6 hours after my interview. My friend who interviewed at my school waited 3 weeks for an offer. I think it just depends on what's going on with the principal at the time and/or other candidates being interviewed. Good luck!

20. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 27, 2012

My first teaching job I was offered the position the next day.

My second one, I was offered the position without even applying! My daughters school at the time found out I lost my job (non teaching job) and offered me the open position they had.

This one I am starting in August, I applied and got called for a phone interview 1 week later. Went in for a interview 4 days later and was offered the job right there. Didn't expect it either. I was just going in for an interview to get some practice and never though they would ever consider me.

21. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 27, 2012

The Principal isn't allowed to offer the job in my district, they have to submit it to personnel and you get a call from the them. It was about an hour and a half after my interview.

22. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I found out that there was a board meeting last Monday and then the next on July 23rd. I don't know if there are any meetings in between that just aren't documented on the website. I'm trying my best to stay positive but I really want this position!! Today is a week since the interview! Think I shouldn't worry as much at this point?

23. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 27, 2012

I would give it another week then follow up with a phone call to see where they are in the process. Waiting is hard! :)