How long did you sub in a district to get a job there?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NikkiT, Aug 11, 2011.

1. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Hi,

I am wondering how long one typically has to sub w/ a district to get a full-time job there. I know this will vary greatly, but I'm just wondering what peoples' real life experiences are. I am especially wondering about those of you from PA or states near PA. Thanks!

3. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 11, 2011

I just moved to Florida, but I lived in PA all of my life prior. I subbed 1.5 years before getting a 7 month LTS job with my district. I moved to Florida because my hubby was transferred, and got a job down here immediately. The district I left wasn't hiring for this year due to budget cuts, but I would have had the opportunity to take my classroom back as a LTS until January (that's when the teacher I was filling for comes back from leave). What part of PA are you in?

4. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for your response! I'm in Pittsburgh.

5. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 12, 2011

ok...that's where I lived until a few weeks ago. I taught at a school in the south suburbs. It's a tough area. So few jobs and so many applicants. Have you had any luck there?

6. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 12, 2011

I subbed during my college classes, but since I graduated in May I will be available to sub full time, hopefully. While I wanted a full time teaching position, I am excited to sub and gain more experience. I would love a long term position!

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

I subbed for a year and a half before I took a full-time AmeriCorps position at the same school. I interviewed twice for full-time positions at this school and was not given a position either time so I took a job offer in another district.

8. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I am from the north suburbs. I had two LTS jobs in one district, but then there weren't any for the last part of the year. Then, the principal from the school that I had been an LTS at left suddenly. So, I taught in VA last year. My experience there wasn't very good though, so I came back home this year. I know it will be tough here, but this is where I ultimately want to be.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

Five years. However, I only started applying for fulltime positions after subbing for four - wanted to be home when my kids were home. I applied for two positions and got the second one.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2011

My personal situation is NOT typical. I've been subbing for my dist since 1999, BUT, I had a special ed teaching job in between for a yr, had a SLPA job at a private clinic for a season, & I haven't applied for anything w/ that dist except a special ed teaching position yrs ago & the SLPA position I'm trying for now.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

It depends on the size of the district and the number of jobs. I've spent two years at one district that is very small. The last two years they pink slipped a number of people and did not bring anyone new in at all. I also sub at a larger district where I've seen postings for HS jobs, but no elementary jobs yet.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

I subbed for about 3 months before getting hired in October. But, like you said, it varies greatly. I'm sure in this new town I live in, I would have to sub for years and years before finally getting that job.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

Almost no one subs first here, unless they are subbing while working on a degree in teaching, or subbing because they are certifies except for passing their PRAXIS. It's just not the way things are done here, probably because we have a teacher shortage in some areas (even if we are laying people off. I know, it's ridiculous.)

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

I subbed for two years while I was in grad school for one district and actually did NOT get any interviews from that district. I ended up getting a position in a wonderful district that I never subbed in.

15. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

I subbed for one school year, including a LTS, before being offered a job the next fall.

16. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

I subbed for 2.5 years in a school district and watched people who were not qualified, but connected get jobs over me. So I quit and looked elsewhere. Got a job a few month later.

17. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 15, 2011

This is how it was for me as well!