How long did you decide to teach before you had children

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 13, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

of your own?

I know everyone's family is different but I'm wondering how many years you decided to teach before starting a family (especially if you stayed home until they were in school)? I'm planning on being a stay at home mom someday but I am just starting off in my own classroom and want to get some experience before starting a family.

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

I'm planning to teach 5 years before I have kids (if it all works out that way!) I will finish my Master's at 4 years, then have one more year before I have kids. I don't know yet if I'll just take one year off with a child, or if I want to take off until they go to school. I always wanted to stay home til they went to Kindergarten, but I don't know how realistic that would be when we look at our finances! But anyway, this is our plan---but it could change.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I subbed for 1 year and taught for 6 before having children and staying home. On the plus side, I got solid experience, tenure, and my permanent certification. on the minus side, I was 2 courses short of my masters and never had the money to finish it while a SAHM. When I went back, some districts were afraid of the tenure but I was cheaper without a masters. I was able to jump right back in.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

We were planning on waiting about two more years (until tenure), but now I switched districts and I have 4 more years until tenure. I think we will still have kids in 3 years, but I will take a leave and then go back for another year or two. Then I will stay home if everything is working out financially. It makes me sad to miss the first year or two with them at home, but I think it is smart to have tenure before I take time off.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

How long do teachers have to teach before they get tenure? Does tenure mean you're gauranteed a job if there is an opening?

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

Not all states have tenure. I know Iowa doesn't. MN does and we have to work 3 years in the same district then the fourth year we receive tenure at whatever portion we are full time (1.0, 0.5, etc.) Then (in MN) when you go back to work you work one year and get asked back and you have tenure at that district again. Tenure means you keep your job as long as you want it and no one with less time in the district than you can take your job during "bumping".

8. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 14, 2008

Keep in mind that you don't always get pregnant exactly when you want to. It took my husband and I 3 years before we were finally blessed with a pregnancy. This seems to happen fairly often, unfortunately, and it's not easy. I was teaching for just one year, and had my son in Sept. of last year. I went back full time after he was 2 months old, and I'll return again this year. I felt that if I took time off, there's no way I'd get back in. Not when 300 others are applying for 1 job! It sucks leaving him during the day, but we have a good friend and an aunt taking care of him while we work, so we know he's in great hands, and he loves being with them. It's too bad in this day and age both parents have to work in order to live comfortably. Oh, well.....

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

I've taught for 3 years, and we're talking about a kid in maybe 2 years? I'm starting at a school that has a newborn daycare on campus, so I'm not worried about staying at home right now. If I can have the baby on campus with me, I will DEF. go back. I hate the thought of not working anyhow, so that is perfect. But who knows how long I will be at this school? We'll just have to take it year by year and see where we are at that point, I guess. With us, it's more about the fact that we would like to own a house when we have a child, and they are too expensive out here for us to do that at the moment.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2008

I'd definitely want to be tenured, so during my 3rd year is the earliest I'd consider having kids.

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 14, 2008

I didn't necessarily have a plan on how many years I wanted to teach before having children. I was in the ed. field for 8 yrs, with my own classroom for six before I had my first son. We are tenured here at 4yrs, but if you quit, you start back at the beginning.

Jem...I too thought I wanted to go back to work after having my first. I love teaching! I had my best friend lined up to watch my son too. Well, I brought that little monster home and couldn't bear to leave him. LOL...kids, they will do it to you every time.

12. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

This is my fourth year of teaching. I'm speaking to my hubby soon about trying to conceive next summer. I think we'll be in a decent position for a child then. Plus, I finish my Master's degree in May of next year and will receive a pay raise. I'm hoping I'll get lucky and have the timing right to have a child around the months of April or May. :)

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

I am so lucky that I had my kids before I went into teaching. I don't think I'd be able to name them otherwise, and even if I did, they would probably only answer to 1.) another child's name or 2.) Private Hands/Put it away/Sit down/Time Out

14. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 14, 2008

I too had kids before I became a teacher. I stayed home until they went to school, then we all started school at the same time.

15. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I subbed for three years, and this will be my 2nd year under contract. Hubby and I are "trying" now; I think a perfect situation would be to have the baby in April, May, or June so I could take all my sick days at once and then have the rest of the summer, then go back in the fall. We can take extended LOA without getting paid and be guaranteed our position for up to a year, so if I didn't want to/couldn't go back for whatever reason, I'd be okay....I think it is different for everyone!

16. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

I never really thought about it from a teaching standpoint...but I wanted to have kids before I'm 30, so I have about 4 years...hopefully I get a teaching job soon!!

17. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 15, 2008

Ideally I would want tenure, but since I have switched schools I do not want to wait another 3 years. I think we will start trying in the summer of 2010.

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Tenure...what a concept! What do they do if there aren't enough jobs to go around for all tenured teachers?

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

Other way around for me.