How Long Did It Take You...?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Anonymous425, May 4, 2018.

1. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

May 4, 2018

To start making connections at schools? I have worked for a month as a sub and have worked at about 12 schools. During my first two weeks, I worked at the same school six days out of ten. Since then, I haven't been able to do that. If I could, I would only work at the top five or so schools I've worked at, but I can't afford to. I'm just feeling frustrated and am hoping it will get better next year.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 5, 2018

At some schools I never made any connections - the other teachers were too far away to talk to or everyone was too busy. My first year subbing, I had business cards that I left with classes that I would sub again, along with a glowing letter about the day. I had 3 teachers who requested me frequently as a result. There was also a school that I was at regularly and ended up subbing for all but one of the 3rd grade teachers; one of them had a long term sub who requested me for a week before winter break, and the regular teacher ended up requesting me for a couple days after she returned because of that.

Leave business cards - it feels silly to have them as a sub, but that's how I got most of my requested jobs because a business card is easier to keep track of than a handwritten sticky note with contact info, and it makes you stand out as a sub. Also get to know the people working at the front desk. I got a job one day as I was walking out of the building, because the secretary asked if I was available the next day. Be friendly and sociable, but also just do what the teacher leaves for you to do and that usually makes a good impression. As you sub more in those buildings, people will begin to recognize you.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  4. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

May 5, 2018

I think I will make business cards over the summer. Right now I can't spend anything until I get paid next Tuesday.

Right now I kind of just have to accept what comes my way on the sub app I use. I really hope I get hired at the district I currently live in though. It will make things easier for me, I think.

Thank you for your input. :)

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 5, 2018

I whole-heartedly second being friendly with office staff. In my district we use an online system for sick days and personal days, but our secretary books subs for things like PD days, conferences, CSEs, etc. and she definitely has favorites. In some ways, they see what you do as a sub more than anyone sense.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 6, 2018

Do an awesome job, and you won't need business cards. To be very honest, I always threw them away. I know that isn't the answer you want, but it is factual.