How long did it take you...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Aug 13, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 13, 2005

to set up your classroom? I am a new teacher and I was just wondering on average how long do you spend before school starts setting up your classroom and getting things ready? :thanks: :)

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 13, 2005

Each year it gets easier and easier. My first year I only had a week, so that was all the time that it took me. I also didn't have very much so the next couple of years averaged to take about a week...40 hours so, maybe a bit more. This year I had to move classrooms yet again, and so I think it's taken me about 48 hours so far and I still have bits and pieces of things to put away, things to make etc. I'm also changing grade levels as well. The biggest helper for me is to go in with a written plan of what I want to get done. Otherwise when I get there, I'm overwhelmed and just walk in circles. Setting up my classroom is my favorite part of the year! I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do. Now, if only I could make myself be just as excited to get started teaching again. :)

4. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

This is my first year. I have probably spent 8-10 hours per day in the last two weeks. I inherited a bunch of stuff and I am not sure what to throw away and what to keep. It was very unorganized and I am hoping to finish tomorrow, but guess what SCHOOL STARTS MONDAY!!!

5. carolinesmom18

carolinesmom18 Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

School for me starts next Monday and my school is only giving us this Thursday and Friday to get out rooms together! This is my first year and I am FREAKING out!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 14, 2005

Oh wow, carolinesmom18, I feel for you. All my furniture, resources, library, everything, was out of my room because of new floors being installed. So, it took me longer than usual (though every year there seems to be something that makes the job harder than it should be). So, I spent about 70 hours in all. Yuck. And I had two young gals helping me move furniture back in.

7. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 14, 2005

normally about 20 hours or so, if i do it by myself.

this year i found out i was changing rooms the day before i had minor heart surgery, and i was not (still am not) able to lift anything over 5 pounds or lift my left arm above my head.

i got my 2 sisters, and 3 good friends to come help me.

it took the 5 of them about 2 days to move everything and set everything up...

i was actually impressed :)

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 14, 2005

It takes me a couple of weeks to get everything moved back in and ready to go.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

I've already gone in two times, for about 5 hours each and am about halfway done. Add to that the fact that I put up all my bulletin boards and charts in June and then covered them with paper. All I have left to do, really, is set up the centers.
    Kim

10. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

It really depends. :) That really helps you out, doesn't it?!?

When I began teaching, I was hired a month into the school year. I literally moved in my classroom while the resigning teacher moved out. (As she took down a bulletin board, I hung one up.) I spent the entire weekend moving in my meager supply of items and setting up a comforting atmosphere. I continue to work for a couple of hours after school every night for the next several weeks adding and rearranging things to my liking.

When I moved to a newly built building, I spend about a week or so organizing and decorating. (I worked basically school hours.) Every year the time spent has decreased. I am thinking it has more to do with me having children more than not needing to be there. I have yet to go back into my classroom. Of course, that's because I don't have a daycare provider until our school year starts. It is my hope that I get in to my room during this next week for a couple of hours to get some things organized. My first "official" day back isn't until the 22nd but our Open House is that same night.

Now back to your original question... how much time? It depends on how much you want to decorate and rearrange. I have had male colleagues who have spent as little as 2 hours in their rooms prior to our contracted time. On the other hand, I have had colleagues spend weeks.

Good Luck!
    ~*Robin*~

11. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 14, 2005

I usually allow more time than I think I will need so I don't feel rushed the day or 2 before the kids arrive. This year I spread the time out over 2 weeks---a little here, a little there, plus 2 full work days in my room. Right now my room is decorated, but I still have lots of copying, planning, etc to do. I always find that when decorating it always takes longer than I think it will---especially if I have a lot of new things that need to be laminated.

12. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

I haven't really been to my classroom yet and school starts a week from Monday! I have been really busy at my part time job for the past few weeks. I coach a local flag corps and they have been practicing for the past few weeks. Anyway, I usually spend at least 50 hours getting all my stuff together. This year I know that I won't be able to spend that much time. I am going in everyday this week and am hoping to have everything together by Wednesday. We have a meeting, a workshop and a retreat this week so I have to work in getting my classroom together between all those activities! I know I will get everything done, but I am really starting to stress! :eek:

13. dee

dee Companion

Aug 14, 2005

I think how long it takes depend upon you and how much you want to do. I can spend days and days, hours and hours in my room. I can always find something else to do. Don't forget to allow time to instructional items together.

14. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Aug 15, 2005

It takes me about 70 hours to do a bare wall to complete classroom makeover. However I only change the background paper on my boards every two years, this is an off year for me. This year it took me 40 hours but I am a true perfectionist. Everything is measured and checked with a level. My classroom environment is notorious in my school.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 15, 2005

Let's see, this will be my 9th year teaching so I'm thinking the answer is....9 years! :D I have the option of going into my room for most of the summer. Usually any major work gets done then (painting, etc) This year has been the least time I've been able to spend. So far I've had 3 days and will have 4 more this week. My room was used for summer school so there's extra "stuff" to deal with plus the grade change. I usually take a couple of weeks to get it all back in order.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 15, 2005

I'm already thinking about next year. At the end of this year, we have to pack everything away and make sure the room is bare. We move to a new school next year. I'm going to store my stuff in my own storage building at home, but some of the other teachers will store in the trailers that will be provided. Two years ago our K-1 school did this and one of the trailers leaked! All the stuff in that trailer was ruined. I plan to take home a little at a time when I'm through with it. It won't make it as bad at the end of the year. I will keep my beginning of the year stuff in one spot that's easy to get to. They say we'll be able to move in by August 12, and school will start August 21. The construction is already behind schedule, so I want to be ready with wherever we are.
    Setting up will only take as long as you have. If you have 3 weeks to set up, it will take you that long. If you have 3 days to set up, it will take you that long. We usually work in our rooms during breaks from meetings. Good Luck!

17. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 15, 2005

I had to move classrooms for the third year in a row, so I spent some time back in June organizing and putting stuff away in cabinets. I know have to finish some of that and arrange my room. Also I have bulliten boards and first week plans to make. So overall, about 2 weeks. On top of all this I am moving, so as I unpack at school I bring home the boxes and pack at home! By the time September rolls around I will be sick of boxes!

18. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Aug 15, 2005

For some people it takes a day for me I would say 2-3 weeks going in 2-3 days a week for at least 6 hours each day. I am VERY **** and I like to do my housecleaning and paperwork during this time too. I also like to do a mad clean, I go over everything with my clorox wipes.> Custodians can only doo so much.. I also have to say I spend 1 extra day at a Target/Walmart buying much needed supplies for the classroom.. Lastly I think I rearrange y room about 4 times before I finally decide it it the way i like.
    Good LUCK
    -Michelle

19. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 16, 2005

I am still not finished but I have worked about 20 hours so far. This is my first classroom so I don't have much, but it all needs to be set up for the first time.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 16, 2005

Parents come tonight at 5:30. So, I better be ready. We've been in meetings all day...this is our first chance to work.

21. Miss O

Miss O Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

I am a new teacher this year and I was finally able to get into my classroom on Sat afternoon (we start on Thurs). However Mon, Tue and Wed we are in meetings from 8 until 3. I did spend about 8 hours sat, 10 hours Sun and a few on Mon and Tues after my meetings. Tomorrow is my last chance before my students come, but I feel that I have everything under control. My advice it to do what you can, but when your body is telling you that it has had enough for the day, go home. It really does make a difference. I was so tired that nothing was looking right to me and I knew I just needed to eat and get some sleep.
    Well Good Luck

22. dee

dee Companion

Aug 16, 2005

I would have to agree. I had a job to finish in my classroom after school Friday and it seemed like a mountain. I went home and went back to school Saturday and I was finished with that task in about 20 mins :D So, definitely listen to your body. When you're tired nothing satisfies you.