how long did it take to get your first teaching job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Dec 20, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Dec 20, 2007

so...i've been looking for a job since the summer and am currently an aide and tutor. i was wondering how long it took people to get their first teaching job after getting their cert. i NEED to get a job next school year or i don't know WHAT i am going to do!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 20, 2007

I was actually hired before my certificate came in. That was because the DOE in Arkansas takes forever to get any paperwork through. I graduated in Dec. 03, subbed for a semester, and began the next school year teaching. I was hired 2 weeks after I put in my application and did 2 interviews. The DOE had to send a waiver letter so I could teach. I taught for 9 months before the actual license came in the mail. The problem: They switched over to a new system, and all my paperwork was filed in the old system.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 20, 2007

It took me four years to find my first teaching job.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2007

I was hired to begin the Monday after my student teaching ended at the same school. I knew one month into student teaching that they wanted to hire me so I got early certification letters from the state put together by the Board. I went down in person for the papers and then got everything else filed early with my university since I had to be ready to work on the Monday following my Saturday graduation.

6. storyh

storyh Companion

Dec 20, 2007

Miss W

Where in AR are you? I live in Conway County, which is in north central AR and I had a terrible time finding a job. I graduated in 2004-no job, so I subbed. 2005-A JOB! I got a one year stint as a title I math teacher. 2006-No job! Back to the daycare I went. 2007-A JOB! I teach 3rd grade at a charter school an hour away from my home. I am envious that you got a job so quickly.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 20, 2007

I live in North West Arkansas, in Benton County. Benton and Washington Counties have been growing a lot in the last 10 years, and are still growing. There are at least 5-8 new schools built each year.

8. storyh

storyh Companion

Dec 20, 2007

That's so great that there is growth in your neck of the woods! I know where Benton County is. Have a Merry Christmas and I hope you enjoy your break from school!:)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2007

I subbed for a month before getting hired.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 20, 2007

I was hired even before I officially graduated. My school allows you to go to your new job if you are hired before the semester ends and you are paid as a substitute until the date of graduation. I went on one interview in my dream district (I really expected to not get the job with over 120 applicants) and was hired the next day.

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 20, 2007

I worked as an art/intersession/intervention teacher for the first year.

12. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Dec 20, 2007

I was hired immediately after graduation. However, it was at a private school.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 20, 2007

I graduated in May '04 and had a job at the beginning of July '04 for the upcoming school year. For me, the trick was applying to every district within 80 miles of where I lived. Luckily, I was hired in the next county over!

14. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Dec 20, 2007

I graduated in December and was hired in March for the following school year...of course I had to relocate 1200 miles to get the job, because jobs are scarce where I am from.

15. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2007

13 years.......

I graduated in 88 and didn't start teaching until 2001. In the time between, I was a mommy, then I went to school to renew my cert. I worked as a sub teacher, sign lang interpreter then finally, teaching.

I left my previous district after the school year ended; took Sept - Dec off and starting subbing in January at a new district. I was offered a job in my new district in June.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2007

4 years. We are told every year that there is a teacher shortage. If you are not hired the year you graduate, it is really difficult to find a job because the school districts promise to hire a certain percentage of new graduates and no one is retiring. When I taught in Georgia, teachers were retiring in their 40s and here, they retire in their 60s.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2007

I graduated in December, received a long term sub position in a neighboring district, and was moved into a kinder position for the next school year.

18. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 20, 2007

I live in a tough area to get a job.
    For each elementary job in my district there are more than 200 applicants.
    I subbed per diem for 2.5 years and was an LTS for 2.5 years. I just got my contract on 11/30.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 20, 2007

Seriously, what is up with all of this advertising? There was one for Sirius, and some graduation gown company the other day, which have both mysteriously disappeared, now Link ESL? I think we are being invaded...:confused:

I graduated in December, subbed for a semester, applied for a job-the only opening within 50 miles-which I was POSITIVE I would get, didn't, cried my eyes out for a month, applied for another, got rejected in lieu of a guy who could coach football but also had a suspended license :eek:, cried my eyes out again, then got a call from the football school offering me the job I wanted-they came to their senses! Been here ever since, and probably never leaving...

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2007

There are two HUGE factors: what you teach and where you live.

I'm a math teacher. I got a job, in fact several offers the same day, before I had graduated from college. It wasn't my incredible ability as a teacher (it was my first year. I was like any other new teacher. Plus, who could tell teaching ability from an interview??) It was the fact that I was certified in secondary math and interviewed reasonably well.

The Original Poster is from NJ. The entire tri-state area is a nightmare for teachers looking for jobs, with a few isolated examples.

If you seriously want to teach elementary, consider re-locating. Somewhere here there's an old thread on Where the Jobs Are. Start applying to those areas and I bet you have a lot of luck.

21. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Dec 21, 2007

That is exactly what I was going to say, Alice.

22. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Dec 21, 2007

I'm in NJ and just finished my student teaching today. I was hired as a permanent building sub in our school. I didn't go on any other interviews, but I just got a call from my town's school district for an interview. I'm definitely keeping my new job for a while...at least until I'm offered a long-term substitute job or get my own classroom. From what I hear, it's really hard to even get a permanent building sub job in my area (NJ). I guess I was at the right place at the right time. Good luck with your job search. :)

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 21, 2007

I was very, very lucky... While I was waiting for my certification to come through, I was subbing, and I ended up falling into a position that they hoped would turn into a full time thing for the rest of the school year. I started as a supply teacher in this position, and once they got the funding, the job was mine, as long as I had the certification and I wanted it. Then I had another job pop up which was lower-paying, 0.7 time, but it gave me recall rights for next year, which means I've got a job for the rest of my career... the other job didn't guarantee that. So I took the other job.

24. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Dec 22, 2007

I was hired about 3 weeks before I finished student teaching. I was very lucky.

25. HSTeach

HSTeach Rookie

Dec 22, 2007

I'm not sure how it is in New Jersey, or even in the district you are applying, but with the district I applied for I turned in my application on a Wednesday, got a call on Friday asking if I wanted to interview for a job on Tuesday, and was called Friday to say I recieved the job. I don't have my credential yet. I just became intern eligible the day I had my interview. I think that might be rare though?

26. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 22, 2007

In LAUSD (CA) it's pretty hard to get an elementary position. I know that it is a bit easier to get a job teaching math or science in middle or high school.

27. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 22, 2007

I was hired a few weeks before I finished student teaching. Like others in this position, I was lucky! Also, I had sort of an advantage because it was the district I was student teaching in, and I had references within the district who could vouch for my teaching ability. Still, I didn't expect it to happen that quickly. I was afraid I wouldn't get a job at all my first year, so I'm very grateful.

28. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

See, what is amazing about NJ though, is that according to the state unemployment office and the Dept of Labor, teaching is a demand occupation here. That is how I got my tuition to college paid for; because it is the second most in demand occupation in NJ; first is nursing.

Now I read on here how hard everyone seems to think NJ is for finding a teaching job. In my local paper this past week, there were 20 ads for teachers. There is also a high demand in the private sector.

I am sure area has everything to do with it. I am in the South-west part of the state, and they have a teacher shortage in some districts, and some have 200 app waiting lists. Areas that are desirable, like shore points, rarely see a vacancy.

Reading the conflicting information makes me wonder if I am choosing the wrong career path now. I really need to be able to work. It is a huge sacrifice as it is with one income and me attending school. But once I graduate, I am going to have to get hired.

The one thing I am counting on is that my age (41) and life experience as a mother of three kids, along with my degree and good grades, gives me an advantage.

Still, this is kind of disturbing, and I am wondering if I need to explore some more options.

:(

29. njgal

njgal Rookie

Dec 22, 2007

There is absolutely no teaching shortage in NJ. You can't compare this state to many other ones because we are flooded with teachers, as someone above pointed out-nightmare. Math is the most open area. Elementary is the hardest area in which to find something.

If you read the ads in the papers here, you will see that many of the them are for LTS/maternity jobs. Sometimes they run ads and the jobs will be filled internally.

I know a few people here who got teaching jobs without having many interviews and they were able to get them soon after graduating. They did not know anyone. These are the exceptions. I know many more like myself who can barely get interviews. Most teachers I know are related to or friends with people in the school systems. I graduated with honors and subbed and still can't find a job. It is very sad because I know I am not alone. I don't understand where they are getting the idea there is a shortage. I have read this, too. Yes, in math, but not in most of the other subjects. It took my friend 4 years to find a high school English job and she graduated with a 4.0.

I was just reading a blog on a local paper and there was someone saying there was a shortage and someone else asked where and to please explain why she and so many other people can't find teaching jobs. The person then said he was referring to math. So, maybe that is what is happening. One subject is making people get the wrong idea. Apparently, elem. special ed. is now filled with too many people because no one could find elem. jobs.

REMEMBER: You have no way of knowing what will happen after you graduate. You may get right in somewhere. If you don't, do not feel bad because there are lots of people who have been looking for a long time. You have to send your resume to as many schools as you can and make sure it is perfect. If you know anyone who can help you, call them. If you get a chance for a LTS position, I would take it because the market is so bad. My friend teaches in a large inner city school and the only openings they have now and have had for a while are in the maths and I think there are some science positions.

30. ie_master

ie_master Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

my teaching job was an accident as one of my former professors in the university endorsed me to be a part of their team... and the rest was history...

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2007

Like several others have said, it can take no time at all or forever and a day for you to land a teaching job, depending on where you live.

Had I stayed in my hometown, I doubt I would have found a teaching job by now--two years after I began looking. I'm certified to teach high school Latin. Latin teachers are a hot commodity in many parts of the country, but not in the upper Midwest, where I'm from. For that reason, I decided to expand my job search to include basically everywhere except for a few states to which I would be really, really hesitant to relocate.

Within a couple of weeks of emailing my resumes, I landed several interviews around the country; I was able to do them all by phone. A couple of weeks after that, I was offered a job to teach in Las Vegas, even before I had a NV license. I accepted it, and the district rushed my licensure. I've been here for a year and a half and I truly love it.

Las Vegas (Clark County) is a growing district--we're the 5th largest district in the country, and it's projected that we will move up that list in the coming years. If you have any interest whatsoever in moving this way, I can help set you up with information and the names of people to contact.

32. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Dec 25, 2007

7 years........ but I wasn't necessarily looking for a teaching job during that time period. I graduated and went straight into being a mommy. I just got a teaching job this past summer and that just kinda happened. It just fell into to place like it was meant to be and I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

33. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Dec 27, 2007

i just got my credential in june. i got lucky and got hired in august. i was desperate for a teaching job because i needed the money to pay for student loans. i knew i didn't want to sub because i hated subbing, so my back-up plan was to start my masters part-time and work part-time as an in-classroom tutor which was what i did before student teaching and all the way through the credential program.

34. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Dec 27, 2007

It took me two years to find my first job. It is incredibly competitive in my (very high-achieving) school district. It's really tough especially if you are in a college town with a flood of new graduates very 6 months.

35. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

I think I am going to my advisor today and changing my major :( As much as I believe I am a good teacher, the reality is I need to eventually work. I am not looking for big money, but I am going to need to be employed at the end of all of this sacrifice my family is making as I go to school. I think I need to be realistic, since I have no plans whatsoever to relocate, and have no strength in math or science to be hired in that capacity.
    This is not a happy day for me at all. :(

36. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 28, 2007

I graduated in May 2005 and was hired in August 2006 for my first teaching position...so just over a year. My first position was at a private school and far from ideal, though so I was searching again this past spring/summer and was FINALLY hired for a permanent public school position in August 2007.

37. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

I gaduated in December 2005 and was hired for second grade in June 2006...I subbed for those 5 months in between.

38. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Dec 28, 2007

I feel your pain. I was supposed to be a career changer and I know I can teach. But, I, too, am in a flooded job market. How far along are you in your schooling? I have a strong feeling your advisor will try to tell you to NOT change. I am NOT trying to "dis" schools, but when I went back to get my one cert., I mentioned to the professor that there were no jobs. I am so not a loud person, but she got up and shut the door. I guess I was not supposed to say that. :rolleyes: But, you know what? It needs to be said in the places where we cannot find jobs. There are people graduating with huge debts and they can't find jobs. I thought for a long time there was something wrong with me. But, then I realized how bad the market was. It definitely depends on where you live and what you teach.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2007

NOOOO!!!!!

Just like that, you're going to drop your hopes and dreams?? NO!

For starters, even in the most flooded areas, there ARE jobs. You just have to be smart and lucky and resourceful enough to get one. You have to turn those advantages you mentioned-- life experience and parenting-- into huge plusses that no hiring committee will want to overlook. You have to try every school--public, private, charter, religious-- within a reasonable commute, then stretch that commute by 10 minutes and try all those new schools. If you're in a place where you need to "know people", then use the rest of your time in school being known. (Relatively easy if you have kids. TALK to people at their school, their games, their science fairs... Let EVERYONE know that you'll be looking for a job.)

Can I promise you an easy road to employment? No. But I can promise you that you'll regret it if you change your mind without even trying!!!!

40. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 2, 2008

Aliceacc is absolutely correct! Where you are located is a HUGE factor in determining if you will get a job or not. You can be the best teacher in the world but if you live in an area that is difficult to find a job then you might not get one. Case in point:

I graduated from Michigan State in '92; I sent out 200 applications all over Michigan and landed only 2 interviews, both in very remote "towns" -I use that term loosely as they were accessible only by sled or snowmobile 3/4 of the year!

I decided to go to Asia and teach English for a year to get experience. I returned from Asia and sent out another 200 applications to schools all over Michigan to no avail. I took a job in a "private" school in Detroit hoping that experience in the US would look good on my resume.

Finally, after a year of making peanuts at the private school I realized I had a choice to make, if I really wanted to be a public school teacher I had to leave Michigan, for good this time. I attended a job fair at the UofM where several Texas school districts were represented. I didn't know anybody in TX but I did know they had plenty of jobs. I signed a contract on the spot and moved to TX for my dream job- it was great.

I had glowing reviews from my principals in TX and I loved my job, but I got married and moved to Boston with my husband. Now I was faced with finding a job in one of the toughest teacher job markets in the US. I worked as a Head Start teacher while we lived in MA for $8 an hour. We spent 4 years in Boston and I had 4 public school interviews during that time. One of them was on an island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in a one room schoolhouse with one pupil, the population of the island was 20. They said my husband could fly out once a month to visit. There were over 100 applicants for that job!

Shortly after the "island incident" we moved back to Texas and I found a public school job a few hours after our plane touched down at DFW airport. I had three interviews set up in the DFW area, each one offered me the job.

Those friends I graduated with in Michigan still don't have public school teaching jobs, they are either working in charter schools or have left the profession. Location, location, location...

41. njgal

njgal Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

So very true!:( Where I am, it is all about who you know in a fooded market. So, yes, you can be a great teacher, but unless you can relocate, you may never have a classroom.