How long did it take to find out you got the job (or didn't)?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SPEDteach1017, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

I had an interview last Monday, the P said she'd let me know whether either way if I got the job. She didn't give me a specific day or time they were making the decision by, just "soon." :confused:

So.... I was wondering, for all you lucky people out there, how long did it take for someone to call you back telling you "you're hired!"?

I was also wondering, if the P said she/he would let you know "either way," did anyone actually get calls informing you that you didn't get the job?

Thanks!

3. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 25, 2013

Last year it was a two day wait between interview to offer.
    this year it was about 6 hours from the interview with the principal to the offer. But in reality it was a long drawn out process over a months span of job fair interviews and meetings before I met the principal and was offered the job.

4. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

Last year the superintendent told me he would tell me either way by Friday. I had to call him on Monday for him to tell me that I didn't get the job. This year, the superintendent called me 2 hours after the interview to set up a meeting and the P called me 2 hours after that to offer me the job.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

For my first teaching job, I found out a day after my second interview.

For my second job, they sent me to the superintendent immediately after my demo lesson. After he was done interviewing me, he pulled out a contract with my name on it. Which explains the brief wait in his office before meeting him! The principal had obviously called him to say please hire me.

For my first LTS job, I found out a few days after the interview. For my second LTS job, I got the call immediately upon arriving home.

I think it really depends on their schedule and what's going on with people's vacations, office staff, etc.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Our admin calls the candidates we want to hire right after demo lessons.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

If you got the job, you'll usually (but not always) hear quickly. If you didn't get it you might never hear anything, unfortunately.

8. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

:yeahthat:

Which I find sort of rude, especially after you do a demo lesson for someone, but sadly that's just how it is.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2013

I've got a few pending from May- one I'm sure has been filled, the other I'm in a pool.
    Call backs for a second interview have usually come within a week.
    My 2 job offers happened the same day that I interviewed.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

For interview #1, I found out through Facebook that someone else got the position. I did not hear from that school until TODAY IN THE MAIL!

For interview #2, no word even though I worked there as a summer school teacher. Found out by reading board minutes.

For interview #3, the P called and offered the position TODAY after interviewing in early July, about 20 days ago.

So I got an offer AND a reject today. :lol:

11. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I live in a small area. Took me four years to get a job. What was hardest for me was when the school I had worked at and attended didn't let me know I didn't get the job, and I heard it from a friend.
    The other jobs either sent an email or letter w/I a few weeks.

The job I did get, I interviewed on July 23 and got the phone call on July 28. Two days before my birthday!!

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

I interviewed on Friday and was told to expect them to offer the job on Monday. BUT I got an email later on Friday with an offer!

13. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

Giraffe,
    I'm wondering, with the interviews pending from May, how come you still think you may be called? It that just how it works in Michigan? It seems like a long time for schools to wait! And what does it mean to be in a "pool?"

Pi-R,
    Congrats on the job! :)

Question: did you think you were still in the running for the job you got (before you were called) since the interview was awhile ago?

Did you call or email the school you got hired at to check in on the process? Or did you just send a thank you and wait in the mean time? Cause I'm getting antsy and am thinking about emailing the P about whether or not the position has been filled.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

Honestly, when the P told me that they would make a decision by the next day, I figured that, since I didn't get a call, I had lost out. Thus, I moved on.

The P also told me NOT to call if I didn't hear back. So after the interview, I sent out e-mail thank you notes and just waited. I wonder if what he said was a test. :D

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2013

One interview I went on yesterday flat out told us that we would not hear back unless it was positive.

As for my "May" pending schools, one was a charter. The charter was based out of Minnesota, the school in Michigan. I went through the phone interview process, and they wanted me in for an in-person interview. They called me the day before- um 12 hour drive=not possible! It kind of fell through- they were supposed to reschedule, but never did. I could never get ahold of anyone to confirm. Whatever.

The "pool" process requires you to be interviewed. You are either cut or placed into the pool. All hiring comes from the pool. There were 50-60 candidates in the pool for 12-15 jobs. You just wait and hope they call you in for an interview with a specific job. So far... nothing. I'm not expecting anything with it being this late. However, I'm super proud to be in the pool- over 6000 applicants- 225 interviews! I beat out a lot of competition! It is an elite district.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2013

I've had 5 job offers over the years. Two I was offered on the spot, one I was offered in the evening of the same day, and two I was offered the next day.

17. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

Pi-R,
    It's good to hear that the job you got was the one that didn't happen right away... gives a girl some hope!

Giraffe,
    Thanks for sharing your experience! And, yes, it is pretty awesome you are in a pool selected from over 6000 applicants! You're doing something right! ;)

18. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 25, 2013

For my previous job I knew by the time I got home.
    For my new job it took 2 weeks.

19. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

I found out about an hour after I left. I wish I would have looked at my phone before answering because I was driving on the highway with the top down on my car and I could barely hear anything but the gist of it was that I got the job! I think they understood though because I had drove 3 1/2 hours to the interview and wanted to get home before the traffic got too crazy.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2013

My situation was a little different. I know this colleague & she knew I was looking for work & had something for me if I wanted it. It took me a day or two to determine that I wanted the job for the 2013-14 yr.

21. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 28, 2013

I have had two interviews so far: One in early April at the school I did my student teaching and the other in early June at a school kind of near the area I'm currently living in.

The first interview it took about a month for me to hear back that I didn't get the position (and I heard it from my cooperating teacher, not the principal...professional).

The second interview I was told 2 days later that I didn't get the position.

I was able to apply to a handful this past week and am hoping and praying I get a call this week for an interview which will turn into a position:)

22. thatgirlyouknow

thatgirlyouknow Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

My first year, it was about a week, then I got offered two jobs the same day. Thankfully I heard back from the school across the road from where I live first or else I'd have been driving 50 minutes one way!

My second year, I heard back the next day. The last time I interviewed, it took a few days.

23. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

With the interview I had this week (Tues), they told me it would be a week of interviews and then call back next week. I got a call two days later, they told me somebody already working there got the job (and better salary) but they liked me and offered me tiny salary job part time job which would never work for me. Commuting 90 minutes a day for a 2 hour a day afternoon job.

I usually hear nothing. Once in a while, I get a letter a month or so later after I apply telling me about the talented people they interviewed (usually not included in the group) and that I didn't get the job.

24. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

The two times I've been offered positions were awesome because I heard from them right away. The first time, I was offered the position probably five minutes after I left the school by phone by the principal. The second time, the principal offered me the position at the end of my second interview.

Of the positions I didn't receive...
    I heard from one the same day the interview was conducted--probably four or five hours later by phone.

I heard from the other two approximately two or three days after the interview.

And one very special, very horrible interview (the interview lasted TWO FULL DAYS) ended at the conclusion of my SECOND sample lesson with the principal saying, "Mm, I'm going to have to say no. Good luck, though." This was after having been interviewed by three different people face to face (all principals or vice principals!), two phone interviews (with possible colleagues), observed a lesson, had lunch with the staff, taught a lesson, debriefed a lesson, revised and then finally re-taught that lesson. Yeah, that wasn't fun.

Good luck!