How long did it take for you to get your first job as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by crepes, Apr 14, 2015.

1. crepes

crepes New Member

Apr 14, 2015

I was kind of wondering. How long did it take for you to get your first job as a teacher? Thanks!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 14, 2015

Just a few months for me. I was hired in July for my first job and June for my second job.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2015

A few months here, too. This was nearly a decade ago, though, when the market for teachers was much different. Some other factors in my favor were that I was willing to relocate and that I was looking for a job in a highly specialized field. Although there weren't a ton of jobs in that field available in the grand scheme of things, there were more jobs in that field than there were teachers qualified to fill them.

5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Apr 14, 2015

It took me nearly 2.5 years to get my first teaching job and then from March until August for my second and April to June for my third (the one I am currently in).

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 14, 2015

I student taught from January-May 2005.

I began teaching 1st grade in August 2005, but I knew in May that I already had the job (contract was offered after the interview). I must say, though, that I worked extremely hard as a student teacher. Thankfully, the principal noticed that I put forth 150% and brought me on board.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 14, 2015

A couple of months. I had the benefit of attending church with some head honcho in the district who had supervised me in a youth group and generally seemed quite fond of me. I hate to say I used a contact, but I did.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2015

3.5 years for my first long-term (more than just a day or week at a time) position, 4 years before my first full time position. Admittedly, I could've put more time/effort into applying to more districts at the beginning, but I think it was good to take that long, as I built up confidence in myself (making a name for myself in the district) and learned many new teaching strategies/skills/ideas along the way.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2015

I was hired right out of college. Back then (40+ years ago) jobs were plentiful. Things have changed since then.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 14, 2015

Got mine my first summer looking, I'd say 6-8 weeks of looking. But this was 7 years ago when schools hadn't started to cut/reduce Family and Consumer Science and it was a "high needs" type of area.

These days most districts are reducing their FCS offering and getting a new job now is much harder. It took me four years to switch out of the district I was hired by to get into a new one. I looked every single summer for 4 years straight and finally got something this past August.

So, to answer the question, 4 years as far as my more recent experience. Two months back in 2008.

11. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Apr 14, 2015

6 months for my first full time, but I had a long term sub job a month after graduating. I student taught in the district with the neighboring special education teacher. I knew the curriculum and the students.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2015

At a staff meeting yesterday, our P was talking about staffing across the district. On average, most new grads can expect it to take 3-6 years of subbing and long-term subbing before they land a permanent, contract position.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 14, 2015

Oh my goodness. I find this so disheartening. :(

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 14, 2015

I argot a dubbing job in August after graduating in May. I worked as a long-term sub in my content area starting in February that year, and I finished the year there. Was hired in June to teach at that school. Still in the district.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2015

It is, and he did try to be encouraging to the teacher-candidates who were at the meeting. Teachers with French qualifications can expect to find permanent positions more quickly, as may those with several additional qualifications and those who are willing to start with "whatever" gets them in the door or who will relocate to a different area of the province (I'm in the Greater Toronto Area--things are very competitive).

Things haven't changed all that much here--I subbed (daily and long-term) for two and a half years before getting hired on contract.

16. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Apr 14, 2015

I was hired right out of college. Back then you were interviewed and hired by the district. Then a new hire went to a new teacher fair to interview with principals. I committed to the first school that interviewed me. If you weren't committed to a school at the new hire fair, the district assigned you to a school. I've never subbed. Many people here sub while completing school, but it's not a prerequisite for the job.

17. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Apr 14, 2015

I subbed for 2 years before getting a full time position. I went through the alternative route as well, which I believe made it a little tougher to get started.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2015

A few months.

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2015

I graduated with my M.Ed. in December, I signed a contract for the fall in March. I quit that job in April (effective end of the year), and got three different job offers in July.

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 14, 2015

I was hired the summer after college graduation (late July), but I had to move across the country for my job. That was 5 years ago. Had I stayed in my home state, I might still be looking! The job market is much different there. Everyone I graduated with either ended up relocating to another state or going into a different field after subbing didn't lead to a permanent position for them.

21. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 14, 2015

I was hired a month after graduation. My resume crossed the desk of HR a few hours after the resignation letter of the teacher I replaced. Good timing!

22. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 14, 2015

Just one year. Normally, there's a shortage of teachers in my state because there are so many kids (youngest population in the country), so finding a teaching job is usually beyond simple. But I was also the first graduating class after the 2008 market crash, so most of my state was on a hiring freeze that first year out of college for me. In fact, they were even frozen on hiring subs, so I worked retail for a year until the freezes were over.

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 14, 2015

One month, 16 years ago.

24. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 14, 2015

A few weeks. I started applying in November, graduated with my teaching certificate in December, and was immediately hired to start in January. But I wish I would've waited... it was the kind of job that was vacant midyear for a reason!

25. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 14, 2015

It took me a year to find a position as a teacher. The climate for teachers was horrible when I started applying in 2013.
    Sheilah

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 14, 2015

It took me 2 years. But I wasn't actively seeking employment, I was sort of ok with just subbing to gain experience.
    I got my credential and Masters in January 2011 and started subbing at the school / district where I student taught. Was hoping to get in there, there were no openings, but I kept my eyes open for any positions anywhere in the area.
    Then I started working in alternative ed in June, mainly so that I could work through the summer and school breaks. I immediately fell in love with that environment (juvenile hall and probation camps) and was no longer looking. I was also offered a 9 month long term sub position there. (October 2011)
    I was hoping it would turn into a job offer after my LTS was up, but they put on a hiring freeze and actually restructured a lot of things (less contract days, principals downsized, etc). After subbing for another 6 months I started actively looking for a job anywhere in California, but only in alternative ed specifically.
    From that point on it was about 3 months to get hired (4 applications, 2 interviews, 1 job offer).

While I was subbing i had met a lot of other substitute teachers. It was always the same story: a lot of them had dual credentials, general with special ed, or 2 or more content areas, even Master's degrees and almost all of them had already been subbing at least 2-3 years and actively looking. Some were subbing over 5 years hoping to get a teaching job.
    It was a little discouraging.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 14, 2015

It took me two months, but I know that I was blessed. However, I did have all of my ducks in a row, certs in hand, LOR's, resume polished, and I was up to date in science - broad picture, tons of detail, and lots of interest. I was also beyond computer literate and comfortable, and that sealed the deal. BTW, I was alternate route. I spent the first semester pinching myself!

My son, however, went three years without a job, until he went back for his MEd. in ESL. That was a game changer.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 14, 2015

I got my credential in December, got hired in April, and started working in July (year round school). I had to move over an hour away because of the tough job market where I lived, but it was worth it.

29. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2015

In my first district, I subbed for 1.5 years, then I got hired as an interpreter. I did that for three years then taught for 3.5 years.

In my current district, I subbed from Jan- Jun then got hired in July.

30. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 15, 2015

Even within a few years it seems to change. When I graduated, the vast majority of my class found jobs within a year if not several months. A few years later with my younger friends, 2-3 years was the norm!

31. crepes

crepes New Member

Apr 15, 2015

Thank you guys so much for sharing!

32. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Apr 18, 2015

A week after my graduation date, May 2014. I'm in Tennessee.

But I will say, I kept my options open and was willing to drive up to an hour. So I applied in several different counties. I was also very proactive and sent my resume many places as well as hand delivered. Persistence is key!

33. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 18, 2015

I went on 4 interviews after I graduated and was offered 2 jobs. I chose a year-long term at the school I had done my final practicum in. The following spring they offered me a permanent contract and I'm still there 5 years later!

34. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 19, 2015

I was hired in April right before I finished my internship (back in 2007). A couple years later I left to be a sahm for 3 years. When I was thinking of going back to work, I stalked the district vacancy list for a couple of months. When I saw a position I was really interested in, I applied, interviewed and was offered the job. I've been very lucky, but I also know that our area isn't as competitive as others.