How Long Before...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maithal, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

As many of you know, I'm dating a great guy. Although, I'm finding things that urke me about him, he's really caring in many regards.

I'm wondering, how long since you started dating was it before your parents met your significant other?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

He picked my up at my home for our first date, and for every date thereafter.

They met him way before he was a "significant other."

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

Me too, Alice! Dh picked me up and met my parents on first date...

maithal...you said you live with your parents-has he never picked you up at your home?

5. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 12, 2010

About a month or month and a half for us. He lived over an hour away so we'd often meet halfway or I'd drive there since it was easier with my work schedule than his.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

If you live with your parents, that should have already happened.

I was 29 when I met my husband, so I lived in my own home. I'd say within a month he had met my parents. I didn't meet his parents until our first major holiday together (they lived in a different state).

If you are wanting to meet his parents (or wanting him to meet yours) and are urked that it hasn't happened, you might want to be asking yourself if the two of you are on the same page. If you've talked to him about this and he is still having reservations about it, I'd wonder if the two of you are in different places relationship-wise.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

My husband met my parents when he picked me up for our first date.

Is the fact that he hasn't met your parents one of the things that irks you? What are the other things?

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

I met his family about a month after we started dating (neither one of us lived at home). He met my family about two months after we started dating.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

I met my husband in high school, and my parents met him when they drove a group of us somewhere.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

Probably about a month after we started dating. He actually lived with us for about 3 weeks over Christmas break from college so he wouldn't have to pay the $100 that residents had to pay if they were staying over break.

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Dec 12, 2010

My parents met my DH when he picked me up for our second date. They were out of town when he picked me up for our first date. However, he came over for dinner after we had been dating for a few weeks for a more extended meeting.

His parents live out of town. I met his dad after about a month, he was in town for business. I met his mom about five months into our relationship, when we went to her house for Thanksgiving.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2010

About 2 weeks after we had met. We met in the city where I went to college. He had left for basic training and was staying in a hotel in KC the night before they shipped out. I drove 3 hours that night to get to the hotel (KC is actually where I'm from). I picked him up and took him to my house. It was about 10 or 11 at night and my mom had to go and change out of her nightgown!

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 12, 2010

DH and I were aquainted as friends before we started dating so I would say that I had known him a few months before my parents met him.I also lived at home and he picked me up there or from my job and then took me home after. I had to be home by 11:00 until I got married so my dad always waited for me to get home. :)

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 12, 2010

It was a long time after.

My boyfriend and I started talking in February 2004. We started officially dating in March 2004. I was in 12th grade, he had graduated a year early. Since he wasn't 18 yet, when his parents moved to FL right after we started dating, they made him go with them. I met his parents I'd say a good 4-5 months afterwards when I flew to FL to spend a week with him. My boyfriend met my parents, about 4 months or so after that; when he flew up to NY to spend two weeks with me.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2010

I started dating my husband while we were both in high school. I was a freshman, he was a junior (well, that was when we could "officially" date-we talked on the phone after my parents went to bed long before that :blush:).

They first saw him at a basketball game...I had just finished playing, and ran up in the stands where my parents were. Unbeknownst to me, from the time school got out til the time the game started, he and 4 of his friends had shaved their heads into a mohawk, with a V (for victory of course) in the back.

:eek:

Dad: Well, where is this kid?
    Me: Hmm, I don't see him...

:lol:

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2010

Footnote: I finally 'fessed up, and dad was...um, unimpressed. But I really believe my dad could see the good in him (despite the hair-or lack thereof), and really took a liking to him.

The first time we officially went "out" on a date, of course he had to come pick me up.

Dad made sure to be there. Cooking in the kitchen. In his underwear. Tighty-whities. He was 6'4, 320 lbs.

I came downstairs to find my new boyfriend chatting up my dad, not batting an eye at the fact that there was a giant of a man cooking stir fry in his underwear. Mortified as I was, I knew he was IT!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 13, 2010

Same here! Strangely, the day of our first date, my boss at the time happened to be over, setting up our computer, so he got to met him too along w/ my parents!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

If, after only 2 months, you're finding things that irk you, perhaps your parents really should meet him. Two months is still pretty much the starry eyed honeymoon period.

I sense from your past posts that you're close to your parents. The fact that they haven't yet met your boyfriend seems unlike you.

Let them meet him, soon, and get their feedback.

19. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 13, 2010

My DH met my Mom on our first date when he picked me up. My mom, who has since passed on, really hit it off with him. My dad wasn't happy, he liked DH but no one was good enough for his baby. :lol: He warmed up to him and we had a great relationship.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2010

He didn't meet my family until we had been dating 3 months. I met his mom on our 4th date because he was living with her at the time.

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

Hmmm. I was living with my parents when I met my husband...but we had hung out together as friends for a month before we started dating. But once we started, I would say he met my parents maybe a month or so later.

22. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 13, 2010

I'm not married, but my boyfriend and I were just trying to figure out the first time he met my parents... and it was about 8 months after we started dating. My parents are really judgmental, and I didn't want to subject him to that early on. The first time was when I had to go to the ER... he took me and met up with my parents.