How long before you felt like a good teacher?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by mikemack42, May 30, 2011.

1. mikemack42

mikemack42 Companion

May 30, 2011

I've been at it for two years and I feel like an inconsistent teacher- some very good classes, some very average classes, and some classes that are mildy-completely disastrous (at least in my eyes). I do have a lot of kids tell me they learned a lot in my class, and the kids know I'll do anything within reason to help them, and the parents appreciate how much I communicate with them, but I still feel like a very hit and miss teacher. How long did it take you before you felt effective pretty much every day as a teacher?

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 30, 2011

I've only been teaching for a couple of years and some lessons are really great and some not so great, but I do feel like I have done a much better job than last year...so I'm going with that...making progress! Hang in there...you know we are our own worst critics!

4. janney

janney Cohort

May 30, 2011

I am also a new teacher (3 yrs) and the better I become as a teacher, the more critical of my teaching I become.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2011

By year 3 I felt like I had a good handle on things, but it wasn't until year 5 that I really found my groove. Stick with it!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

After 10 years, there are still days when I walk out of the building feeling that I hadn't been a very good teacher that day. I know, however, that those days are few and far between. Next year, I'll be going into my 6th year teaching Special Ed and my third teaching grade 7/8 English. I'm still learning a lot about both parts of my job, but feel pretty confident 95% of the time.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Mrs C, that's what I was going to say-- but change it to 25 years!

Most days I'm confident that I've done a great job, but there are occasions that I look back and ask myself what on EARTH I was thinking.

With each passing year, though, those occasions become more and more rare.

The balance probably tipped at around year # 4 or 5.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 31, 2011

It's easy to be critical of my own teaching. I have high standards. I keep pushing more and more. I recognize that I'm not a veteran and I look for my areas of weaknesses and keep building on them.

I know I have a lot of successes too but I don't dwell on those as much. Then someone gave me the best advice ever... Dwell on them. Make a list of things you've done this year that were successful. List the small things and the big things. I did so well with my list last year that our curriculum director took the same format (using my titles) and distributed to all teachers to follow. Now THAT is a compliment.

I think we all know we have areas we are good at, but because good teachers are always striving to be better, it is easy not to focus on those and quite frankly sometimes we just need to stop and toot our own horn TO OURSELVES!

SO give yourself a pat on the back and go make that list. Take your time with it. Go through your lesson plan book. Think about it all. While you are at it, don't forget to look at your students' progress. I have faith. You'll find that you have a lot to celebrate.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 31, 2011

It really took me about five years to be comfortable in my skin as a teacher. Up until my 5th year, I never had my own classroom, and I was teaching different classes/grades every single year. I really had no time to get consistency in one area.

10. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I just ended my first year, and there is so much I still have to learn. I heard most teachers really begin to feel comfortable and confident in year 3!