How long at same school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Weazy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished my second year of teaching and I love the school where I teach. I can see myself there for the rest of my teaching career (I started teaching later in life). Many of the teachers at my school have been there for a long time--some have never taught anywhere else. I see positions posted in more lucrative districts and schools where the kids are not such a challenge, but currently, I'm not interested. How many of you are still teaching in the same school as you started? If not, in how many schools have you taught? Hopefully, my administrators will always be happy with the job I'm doing, because I love it there and I don't want to "hit the pavement" to look for another teaching position. :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

I'm really hoping this year is it for me for a long time. I taught at my first school for two years, followed my husband to CA to teach in the San Fran school for 3/4 of a year, and now Camelot will be this fall. I hope to be there for 3-4 years while we save for a house and maybe have a kid (they have newborn daycare there! yeah!), and then we're thinking of moving down to Santa Cruz, where I want to buy a house and stay forever. I've moved too many times in my life-I'm ready to SETTLE!

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

I moved around quite a bit during my first years of teaching and finally landed at the school where I am at and have been there 7 years. Thought I'd be there forever, but things/people change and I think I will most likely leave to pursue administration eventually. Just finished up the coursework, have to justify doing it. I am not ready to leave the classroom but our district doesn't pay well and there aren't many perks for mid-level teachers to stay.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

(they have newborn daycare there! yeah!), --per Jem

WOW! That's great. Although I was not a teacher when my kids were little, I did have to work. I would have loved to have my kids close by! Good luck!!

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

I have an odd situation. I started at this school, and stayed for 4 years. My hubby got transferred on a "short term" assignment (3 years) to London, England. I followed him there, and taught there. Turns out there was an opening in my current school, the first school where I started, when we returned, and I took it. So, this is the first school I'd ever taught in, but not the only one. The school is small-ish, and has extreme diversity...kids who are poverty level, and those that live in multi-million dollar mansions on the water. We have a great ethnic mix (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Asian, and white), too, and a good percentage of ESL kids (about 15% now).

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

Just finished my 3rd year at my school ... I don't ever want to consider having to leave, I love it where I am!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished my 2nd year at the one and only school I've ever taught at. I love it and don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

:)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2008

This will be my 3rd year teaching and my 3rd school. I'm hoping that this is it for me, but it depends what grade too.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

I have taught at two different schools - the first school I taught at had a HORRIBLE admin and school board. I was there for 8 years. During those 8 years, I traveled between schools and classrooms for 4 looonnnggg years without a permanent class room or storage space. I had to bring everything home every night. The last 4 years I was there, I had an interior classroom the size of a closet with an average class size of 35. I was finally able to get a job in the district my kids and my home was located in. My commute went from 45 minutes one way to 5 minutes one way. I have been at my present school for 6 years and I LOVE it!! In a way I am glad I had my black rain cloud years at my hated school in order to truely appreciate how wonderful my present school is.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished year 15 . . . and 13 of those have been at my current school. Technically I'd guess you could count the other two years as well since I was there an hour or two a day those years as well.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

I'm on my second district. I taught for 2 years in the first one. The first was horrible in practically every way imaginable. I just finished up my first year in my current district. I plan on being at my current district and school for awhile, I like it a lot. But I'm not against keeping my options open. I probably won't apply for any other districts until after I get my masters and try to pursue a position other than in the classroom.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2008

I taught one year at school 1 and the next 14 at school 2. I don't plan on going anywhere, as I would lose most of my years on the salary scale if I moved to another district.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 8, 2008

I taught one year, then got married and moved states. I taught for three years at my next school, and didn't plan on making any changes anytime soon, but things change :) I will be starting next year, my 5th year of teaching at my third school. I will have a MUCH better admin, though, so I'm excited.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished my third year at my second school. I love this one so much I could see retiring from here. (I am also an alum) Unfortunately, I'm not sure I like LIVING here. It is very expensive. The time may come when I need to move to a less expensive part of the country.

16. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished my first year of teaching. I came back to my hometown, which wasn't my plan, but it was the only offer I got. I got an offer last Wednesday in the city I wanted to teach in since graduating last year. I got a job in a good school corp. I plan on staying there for the long run. Although I might change my mind after a year there. :haha: I'm tired of the job search, and I don't want to have to pack my classroom up again.

17. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished year nine with my district. It is the only district I have taught in, but I have worked on two different campuses.

18. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 8, 2008

This is my third year teaching - all at the same school. I love the school, but I'm not so thrilled with the area. It's not a fun place to live. I considered making a move for next year, but that didn't work out, so I'll be staying here for at least another year - making it at least 4 in the same school.

19. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

I just finished up my 7th year of teaching. I spent two years at my first school and my last five years of teaching have been at my current school.

20. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I just finished my 8th year with this district, and my 3rd year at my current school. I joke all the time about how someone will have to carry me out on a stretcher, 'cause I'm not leaving voluntarily!

21. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jun 9, 2008

I just finished my 3rd year at my first school. But...leaving that school for a new school/state in 21 days!

22. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

Reads like prison time, but did 10 years in a ghetto school, and 9 delightful ones at my present school. I'm considering another move to be closer to my family.

23. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I'm a mover! I taught one year at a school in the foothills of NC, realized I didn't want to settle in that town. I picked up and moved to Florida, taught for 3 years at a school, moved to another town and taught at another school that was a nightmare. So for my 6th year of teaching, it's back to NC to a place I hope to finally settle! I am really excited about this coming year!

24. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

23 years at the same school. Teaching dozens of kids whose parents I taught. Some from my first school though.

25. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jun 9, 2008

I just finished my 6th year at my current school...My first 2 years teaching were in another school and district...it was not a pleasant experience!!!

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2008

Also will begin my 23rd year at the same school. Got a couple of teachers on staff who went to elementary school here, got their degree in college and came back to teach here.

And it may be rural (fast becoming suburban), but we have 19 elementary schools in our district, so they had other choices!
    We just love this school.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2008

Lets see
    6.......months......4 Schools (one period at each school)
    4.......years.........1 School
    9.......years.........3 Schools (same district)
    1.......sub
    3.......years.........1 School
    1.......sub
    16.....years.........1 School
    34.5..years total..10 Schools

28. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2008

I just finished up my 8th year in the same school I started in. I have been tempted a couple of times to move to one of the suburbs (mostly because I moved to one of the suburbs and would love to teach in my own neighborhood school). But I doubt I'll be going anywhere. I can see myself teaching my whole career here. Life throws you some curve balls sometimes, though, so you never know.

29. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

I'm finishing my 3rd year at my first school.....and staying in the county but switching from Elem. to Middle school next year.

30. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 10, 2008

I haven't even started by 1st year yet & already know that I will probably have to look for another teaching job next year. :(
    I found out something about the school that I'm going to be teaching that if it does happen for the following school year, I won't be able to stay. I really don't like switching but it may just work out in the end. Who knows!?

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2008

from Kindergarten to Middle school WOW

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2008

Can you tell us a little about what you found out?

33. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jun 10, 2008

I'm about to start my fourth year of teaching, and I've been at 2different schools. I started out at a nearby middle school for my first year, but I hated it; I transferred to the top high school in our district and I've been there since. I like it so much that I could see myself staying for good. :)

34. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 10, 2008

Same school going on 6 years. Don't plan on moving, but you never know.

35. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 11, 2008

Hi!

I get ants in my pants and can't stand it when I get bored, so I've bounced around a lot.

Year 1 - School 1 - Technology Teacher
    Year 2 - School 1 - First Grade
    Year 3 - School 1 - First Grade
    Year 4 - School 1 - Pre-K
    Year 5 - School 2 - VE K-3rd (Moved across the country)
    Year 6 - School 3 - Technology
    Year 7 - School 3 - Technology
    Year 8 - School 4 - Kindergarten
    Year 9 - School 5 - Kindergarten (Low enrollment - had to move)
    Year 10 - School 5 - Kindergarten
    Year 11 - School 5 - Kindergarten
    Year 12 - School 6 - First Grade (Right now, boxes everywhere!)

I've never left because I needed to, I always felt drawn somewhere else...

This time my Principal whom I adore is leaving so I found somewhere closer to home to work.

Kelly :)

36. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 11, 2008

I just finished year 13. The first six were at a wonderful school that was not a wonderful communte away - the last seven have been spent at a school I have come to love. I hope to stay!