How long as you still at school after hours?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SoReady2Teach, Sep 18, 2010.

1. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I'm a first year teacher and I've heard stories of how you stay so late after school your first year. I was just curious how late , no matter how long you've been teaching do you stay after school?
    So far the longest I've stayed in my classroom is 6:30. On Fridays, I try to leave around 4:15 or 4:30. I have had later days for off site meetings and trainings where I didn't get home until 8:30.

3. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Sep 18, 2010

I'm a first year teacher also, and I leave when the last kid is gone. I just bring everything home with me that needs to be done. I feel the serenity of home is an easier environment for me to work in. I can write lesson plans in my pj's if I want! Also, if there are things that have to be done at school (moving desks, putting posters up, copies, etc.) I will get to school about 30 minutes earlier than usual to have time for that.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 18, 2010

It just depends on you (as a first year or veteran teacher). I am in my third year of teaching and last Friday, I was at school until 10pm cleaning, organizing, planning, etc. Two of my teammates were still there when I left (2nd year teacher and 25 year teacher).

I try not to bring anything home. When I leave early, I normally have to bring stuff. For example, I left at 4pm yesterday (we don't get in from dismissal until about 3:45). I have soooo much work that I brought with me. Usually I do it all before I leave, but I was feeling sick.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

I'm in my second year. I usually get to school an hour early to work, and stay and 1/2 an hour to an hour after the students leave at the end of the day. I also bring stuff home.

Last year I got to school an hour early, and then staying 1 - 2 hours after the students left, plus brought stuff home. So, I've shaved a little time off this year!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

I usually don't stay too long after school, maybe an hour. I like to put in extra hours at school in the morning. I've been there as early as 5:30am.

7. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I just know realized I butchered the name of this post. It's suppose to say "How long ARE you still at school after hours?" Oops! I was talking to a teacher friend of mine one day when I got home and she told me she was surprised that I was home early. Apparently, she stayed until 7 or 8 everyday her first year teaching.

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

I stay maybe 45 minutes after school, I like to get in about 20 minutes early just to putter. I don't mind bringing things home, H works two nights a week and I usually put on my pj's and work with music on or the tv. I also have some very helpful kitties. :)

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

I seldom bring work home.

I'm usually at school until 4:30 or 5:00 - 2-2.5 hours after dismissal. I get there at about 7:30. School starts at 8:05.

Because I have a 45min to 1hr bike commute, part of my after school time is getting ready for that - changing clothes, filling water bottles, packing bags, airing tires etc.

10. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I typically stay about 2 to 2.5 hours after my students go home. I always have at least 45 minutes' worth of things that need to be done at school that I cannot take home. I usually have more to do when I get home, too. Ugh. On Fridays I make sure I leave earlier. I am a first year teacher and I'm working on becoming quicker at doing the things that need to get done. It's all very tiring and I could do with a bit more down time.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

During my 1st year, I was there until 6 almost every night AND I came in on Saturdays and worked a full day. The reason was because I needed to "catch up" to everyone else that already had their foundations layed out when it came to Reading, Math, etc.

My 2nd year, I stayed until 4 or 5 and would occasionally come in on Saturdays about twice a month.

My 3rd year, I stayed until 4 or 5 and didn't come in at all on weekends.

4th year (this year) I only stay until 430pm at the latest and no weekends.

12. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

Saturdays, wow. Usually on Saturdays I'm trying to catch up on home or other things I didn't get to during the week.

13. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

My school starts at 7.45..I get there at 6.45ish just to get my stuff together, get my boards together, clean, organize,etc. The kids get out at 2.45 and when they leave I clean,re-organzize lol, and get my things out ready for the next day. I try not to bring anything home with me but my classroom is warm so all this past week I brought stuff home. And I try and plan on the weekends so during the week I can focus on actual school duties like meetings, committees, and of course the students!

14. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 18, 2010

We haven't been in school that long yet-a total of six days, due to the Jewish holidays. So far, I left at 420 once (20 minutes after dismissal) the rest of the days I left between 5 and 6, except for once when I left after six. Whatever I do in school can't be taken home-hanging things, cleaning, setting up for the next day.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

I work in the 21st Century program after school. That runs until 5:30pm. I also get asked fairly often (so far) to sub as a bus driver, which means I actually have to leave my room with the first group of kids (I send the Parent Pickup kids across the hall to the other 6th grade room). So after school is usually booked up for me.

Fortunately, my day doesn't officially begin until 12:10pm (since I only work part-time). I usually arrive at school between 10:00-10:30pm. I go in my room, shut the door, put on a CD and do all the work I need to do. I like working at school better than bringing stuff home because all the things I need are there and easy for me to find. I can also make copies if need or print things off the computer very quickly and easily without using up my ink or paper.

So I spend at least 2-2.5 extra hours at school each day, sometimes more.

16. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

Cerek, what is the 21st Century Program, never heard of it before.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

21st Century Community Learning Center

Primarily, the program is designed to offer extra tutoring and/or guided instruction to students with lower skills or who struggle with core content. In NC, that is defined by students who did not pass the End of Grade (EOG) standardized tests on their first attempt (scoring a 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4).

The 21st Century program was created as an amendment to the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) standards established during President George W. Bush's administration (Ted Kennedy introduced the bill into the Senate). So it is actually a national program that is federally funded by grants.

Each 2.5 hour session includes snack time, recess, homework time (with guided instruction) of at least 1 hour and enrichment activities.

While it is primarily aimed at struggling students, we were able to eventually include higher level students (those that scored 3 or 4 on EOG tests) that still had difficulty in specific areas or content.

18. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 19, 2010

Last year, my 1st year, I was at school until 5 most days and then one day on the weekend most weeks until the end of the year when I cut that down to once a month. This year I'm carpooling and they leave as soon as our contract time is up at 3:40 which is a big change but I'm doing pretty good with it so far. I did go out to school this weekend but I'm making it a goal to only do this once a month.

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

You can leave that soon? We are contractually obligated to stay 30 minutes after the bell.

I arrive at 8 am. School starts at 9:15. School is dismissed at 3;45 and I leave at 5

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2010

The kids leave at 1:30 this year - I'm usually there til 4:30. I'm still ending up with a ton of stuff to do over the weekend, though.

21. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

I haven't been at school on a weekend since the one before school. It would be nice and convenient for me if I could do that every once in a while to get some things done.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I stay after school for around 30-60 minutes after the last class is dismissed. I'm contractually obligated to stay for just under 30 (funny contract).

For me it wouldn't be useful to stay at school for hours and hours every day. I need time away from school, at home with my husband and our dogs, doing the things that I like to do. Having my own life outside of school helps me recharge and stay energized and enthused for the next day at school.

I achieve this by managing my prep time well. For prep time I have 55 minutes per day plus about 15 minutes before school and about 30 minutes after school. Some of that time is used for meetings and extra help for students, but it's pretty common for me to have just over an hour of prep time each day. I (usually) don't waste my preps, and end up using practically every minute to grade, plan, organize, and get ready for the next day.

An occasional (as in once per quarter or so) long night would be okay, just in order to get on top of things. But as a regular thing? It wouldn't make me a better teacher. It would just make me more stressed out.

23. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

I'm also a fan of getting as much as possible done on my preps. I get 55 min/day and I can usually manage to get my copies made and grading done in that time. I made a semester outline before school started, so once school is out, I prep the whiteboard for the next day, and pack up.

Occasionally when I have a ton of essays turned in, I'll take them home over the weekend or something, but it's rare.

Unfortunately, I'm still at school for 9ish hours a day anyway either at meetings or coaching... :)

24. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 20, 2010

I'm sure the other teachers wonder about me, being a first year teacher and leaving by 3:45 every day (the kids get out at 3:30). But I have a 2 year old who is still adjusting to daycare and would much rather be at home with his mommy. I try to get everything finished during my conference period but if I can't, I take it home with me. I would rather grade papers on the couch while he watches cartoons.

25. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Sep 20, 2010

I stay until 6 or 6:30 every single night. But I would NEVER come on a Saturday unless I had to. ...Like this weekend. :-(( I am getting a little faster, at least. Things get done more quickly. But we always have meetings in our planning period, so it's like there's more to do than there actually is.

26. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

I am usually finished with dismissal by 3:30, sometimes 3:45. I bring my students who ride the SPED bus upstairs with me until their bus arrives and set up the room.

I try to leave everyday by 4:30 because I live 30 mins away from my school and the traffic is heavy. It takes me about an hour after school to set up for the next day, organize, put up books, do emails, etc.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2010

Only an hour because that's how long I tutor. I am out by 3:30 (our day technically ends at 2:30).

28. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 23, 2010

If I find myself starting to wrap up around 5:00 I always stay an extra 45 minutes at least so hopefully the traffic isn't too bad by the time I leave school
    I only have to commute 15 to 20 minutes but if I leave in the middle of traffic I hit every stop light it seems.

29. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 24, 2010

I get in at 7:45, contract requires us to be there by 8:00.
    I leave by 4pm, contract says we can leave at 3:30.

I have been very good about managing my prep and delegating putsy stuff to volunteers and my para. My ultimate goal is to leave at 3:30 every day.

30. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Sep 25, 2010

I prefer to come in one to two hours earlier in the morning instead of staying a minute past when the students leave in the afternoon. I do not know about you guys but by the end of the day, I am absolutely spent. I am so tired, I can not imagine working past dismissal. I need my afternoon/evening me and family time.

31. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

I get to school around 6:30 (my kids get there around 8:20) and then i leave usually a half hour-2 hours after the kids leave. Im married to my job some would say. But my boyfriend is a teacher too and a coach and we are new to the area we live in so I really dont have alot going on at home and rather be at school preparing myself. I find that going earlier is better. After school I am emotionally and physcially drained that I cannot stay any later. I have about a 40 min comute so I really dont go in on the weekends unless I have nothing else to do.

32. cyost

cyost New Member

Oct 4, 2010

I don't like staying late. The latest I've ever been there was 5. I like to go in early. If I have a lot to do, I go early because a lot of my fellow teachers don't come in until later so it's peaceful and I have full access to the copier! :)

33. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Oct 14, 2010

I usually always leave when everyone else does and just take things home. I sometimes will stay about 30 mins-45 minutes after the teacher's dismissal (3:45). I take things home and sometimes work on things. I usually work on all of my things at school during planning. I never come in on weekends. That is unheard of to me since I work so far away (45 mins). I do my lesson planning and grading from home. I am a first-year teacher also.