How long (as in how many questions) should a quiz be?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Apr 9, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Apr 9, 2014

I have been giving my students quizzes that are between 20 and 30 questions/points. We cover a lot of information in my class, and I just wanted get some feedback to see if my quizzes are too long. They typically are made up of a matching vocab section and grammar multiple choice. Thoughts? Thanks!

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 9, 2014

I think it depends on how often you quiz and on how much material. I give quizzes every class period just on the notes from the previous class. Those are almost always 5 questions, mixed short answer and multiple choice. On test review days, I give unit quizzes which are 20-25 questions, almost all multiple choice.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2014

I give quizzes every 2 weeks which is about 5 classes. My quizzes are 10 points (1 point per answer)

5. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Apr 9, 2014

I can typically determine how well my students are understanding content based on 5 questions. I give about 3 quizzes a week.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 9, 2014

I don't give multiple-choice questions... ever... But I won't go into why ;) Unless, of course, someone would like to discuss it.

My motto (ask my students) is "quality over quantity" - the quality of the question is more important than how many questions you are asking.

Today my 4th graders had a quiz on the First Law of Motion- it had 8 questions on it (some had multiple parts to it though).

1 had them drawing forces onto a diagram
    1 was a short essay
    1 were fill-in or true/false
    5+ (depending on multiple parts) were open-ended questions/short written answers.

The quiz will be worth around 40 points. Short essay is worth the most points (10-15), followed by open-ended questions (usually around 5-6 points), followed by true/false and fill-in (around 1-2 points). The more content and thinking a student has to do to get an answer, the more points it is worth.

20 to 30 questions seems like a lot- depending on what the students have to actually do. I would never give that many if I was using short-answer/essay styled questions. For multiple guess, I think that's okay depending on the grade level. (It looks like you teach high school so I think that's totally fine. My 3rd graders would throw a fit though :) )

I would think about talking to other teachers where you work and ask them what their assessments look like.

I give "Do Nows"/warm-ups and tickets to leave for a few points every day. I also use journal reflections and lab conclusions as alternatives to quizzes/tests. Then there are also multiple artifact projects students can do. :)

7. teacherbatman

teacherbatman Companion

Apr 10, 2014

A quiz should be 25 questions long. No more, no less. :whistle:

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 10, 2014

Mine range from 3 questions to 15. I don't think there is any "right" answer to this.

9. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 10, 2014

My geometry class has 10 question quizzes in the middle of a chapter.

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 10, 2014

I quiz every Friday. My quizzes are typically about 20 points. That doesn't always correlate to a specific number of questions as each question could have varying point values.