how long after interview are you hired??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cafemocha, May 13, 2009.

1. cafemocha

cafemocha Rookie

May 13, 2009

I am new to the public school system. I am now starting to set up interviews. My question is: How long after the interview before you know if you have the job?? Is is a couple of months, a couple of weeks, or immediately? A lot depends on me getting a teaching job for the fall.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

Each school and principal is different. In one case I was called within two days. At one school I waited for 2 months for a yea or nay. They ususally tell you at the end of the interview when they'll be contacting you.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 14, 2009

At my current school, I think I had taken five steps out the front door before my future principal yelled for me to stop so she could tell me that the district was going to hire me. I think that was, maybe, just over a minute after the interview ended. Desperate much?

It CAN happen very fast.

IF you want, making a professional follow-up call after a week, give or take, is something you can do. Ask questions you have strategically thought about since the interview. Ask if the position is closed. Whatever but it will help to show you are interested and will keep you fresh in the principals mind. Don't over do, once is enough.

5. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

May 14, 2009

It definitely depends on the time frame the district is working with. If they have all summer to make a decision, it could be a couple weeks. When I was hired, my interview was at 9:00 am and I got a phone call offering me the job at 2:00 pm. But I was interviewing two weeks before school started so they wanted to get someone in right away. There's not a set timeline, it's just how soon they need someone.

Good luck!

6. lou reed

lou reed Companion

May 14, 2009

Out of the three positions I've been offered, two were the same day and one was the next day.

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

My first iterview where I was hired (It was about the 8th interview that I had been on) offered it to me right then if I would sign a letter on intent. The other jobs I interviewed for I was sent a letter telling me that I would not be hired. I usually recieved the letters anywhere from 2 weeks to a month afterwards.

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 14, 2009

Of the jobs I've been offered I was offered two the next day, one during the interview, and one within two hours of leaving the interview.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 14, 2009

As others have said, it totally depends on the school and the district.

I was officially offered my current position about two months after I had submitted the application. I was offered it off the record about two days after my initial interview with the district.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 14, 2009

I have ahd 3 interviews - about 6 weeks ago, 4 weeks, and 1 and a half weeks ago. All three said they would call or send a letter either way. I haven't heard from any of them. They even told me when they would be making a decision and I still haven't heard anything. behhh.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Wow-you guys are lucky. Last spring, I waited 2 months on two schools, and three months on another. I can't remember how long it was with my other jobs.

I'm in the process of interviewing for a job right now, and it's moving much faster. I'm hoping to know by the end of next week, but after last year, even a few weeks would be an improvement!!!

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 14, 2009

One school - I found out that day! and the other school it was about 1 week later when I got the word.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 14, 2009

At my current school it was a couple of days. At my first school I had an interview with the principal and then another interview with the superintendent and I found out right after that interview.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

At my current school, it took about two weeks for me to find out. At my previous school, I did not interview at all. I had been a sub and the P was interested in me. She interviewed others and still hired me.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

At my interview they asked me to wait in the hallway for a few minutes. Less than 5 minutes later they told me I was hired!