How long after an interview...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missml, Jun 20, 2012.

1. missml

missml Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

I'm sure this has been asked and answered several times before, but how long should I be expected to wait to hear from a school after an interview? I interviewed with a principal and assistant superintendent for one position on the 8th. At the end of the interview, the principal said she should have a decision within a week. It has now been nearly 2 weeks. I'm afraid calling might seem too pushy as I know they will let me know about the job either way, but waiting is so stressful!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

I think if you have waited 2 weeks, then you should call and ask. Many principals do forget to call and let the people not chosen know that they have hired. There are times when there can be weeks between the first interview and follow up due to creating an interview team, internal candidates, shifting of teachers, etc. So just give them a call and ask where they are in the hiring process.

4. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 20, 2012

Sometimes principals don't have the character to call the applicants and let them know the job has been filled.

Once I did have a principal call and tell me that they had gone with a more experienced person and I was thankful for his honesty/response even though I was not the one!!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

Do you know if they have contacted your references yet?

Sometimes when there is a prolonged period, they could be waiting for their first choice to complete their paperwork and everything. Unfortunately, they will leave their second choice hanging while this happens.

I would definitely call though!

6. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 20, 2012

I would send an email. That way you are letting her know that you are still interested but not calling.

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 21, 2012

I'm in the same boat...waiting is so hard!!!! I have waited a week so I may give it a few more days and then call.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 21, 2012

Some districts do not bother to let candidates know that the position has been filled, unfortunately. I have to say that I find this to be unprofessional, and rude. I don't think it would do any harm to contact them and ask them where they are in the process.

I never call because I'm a wimp but knowing that a decision has been made can put you out of your misery. Good luck.