How likely am I to find a teaching job in December?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Outdoorz, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

So, I will be done with my teaching certificate Fall Semester 2013. Since I will finished in December, I'm a little worried about finding a teaching job. Were any of you in this same situation? I've thought about substitute teaching until I find a job, but is this a reasonable thought? I know a lot of that depends on the area, but I wanted to see what others have done in the same situation. I live in northern Utah and have heard the market is pretty full of teachers.

Thanks much!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

I wouldn't give up on looking for jobs after you graduate. You never know. Things might come up. But IF you don't get a teaching job, look into subbing or even volunteering on the days you don't sub just to get your name out and make connections.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I graduated in Dec. I subbed, got married & moved. My certificate expired, life happens & then I FINALLY got my certificate in my new state. I started my 1st teaching job in April. I've seen teachers hired to start in January, October, etc. It happens. I've seen people take long term sub positions that have turned into jobs.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2011

I got a job two years ago in December. There were five positions open in my district.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Sometimes there are midyear retirements. You may find a LTS in December. Don't rule out subbing. Get your paperwork started in the fall so your name I 'out there '. Good luck to you.

7. Toast

Toast Companion

Jul 18, 2011

December jobs/contracts DO happen. I finished my teaching cert in Dec of 2007 and got a job teaching 5th grade only 1 week later. And just to be clear, I got this job on my own. It was not with the school or even the district that I student taught in.

In my personal experience it was in a district that was on the outskirts of town. Another plus for it being in the middle of the year is that there wasn't very much competition for the position (not much competition from a zillion new graduates). They only interviewed 2 people. Me and an other girl!

I was hired as an extra teacher due to huge class sizes in 5th grade.

So can you guess what happened when the other 5th grade teachers were able to get rid of 6 kids of their choice?

Yeah. Not really the best behaved class, but I definitely learned a lot and I had my foot in the door to transfer to the grade of my choice for the next school year.

So my suggestion is to attend education job fairs at your university (ASU had one in December) and do screening interviews with any and all of the districts that you are willing to commute to.

You never know, you just might be in the right place at the right time!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 18, 2011

I too was a fall grad, in Dec 2007. I applied to I think 3 LTS positions that were open in districts I was willing to drive to. Got an interview at one and was hired, two days after that I got a call for an interview at one of the other ones, which I turned down since I had a position. The LTS job I got was 6th grade and the one I didn't end up interviewing for was 2nd grade. Both were maternity leaves. A friend of mine had one LTS job Sept to Nov and then a different one March to the end of the year (this past school year).

So yes, it's definitely possible to get something. I made sure to have everything good to go by the end of Nov so that I could start applying even before I was officially finished.

9. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

Thanks! That gives me some hope and some really great ideas.