How large is your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snickydog, Apr 18, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

I'm planning my room arrangement for next year and have seen some great classroom pictures. However, my room seems SO small!

How big is your room, and how many students do you have?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

I have the smallest actual classroom in the building. It is odd shaped with the inside wall shorter than the outside wall. I think it is 17X26 at the widest and 14X26 at the shortest end. Last year I had the largest class at 18. It was tight with 5 tables for 4. This year I have 12 so I got rid of one table and kept an extra one for special projects. I also have floor to ceiling windows on the outside-short wall. This along with no air flow from the CHA means that it is hot in the spring/summer months and cold in the fall/winter months.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

Not nearly big enough for 40 desks and 40 seniors!

5. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I know one teacher has 30 students in her class and there's not enough room for anyone to walk around.

6. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Apr 19, 2009

5m x 4m 12 pre-schoolers, no covered outdoor play area so can you IMAGINE the chaos when its raining!!!

Edited to add: This space has to include all my storage, lockers for the kids, 3 tables with 4 chairs each, 1 table for 1-on-1 or small group work, free play area, book area, fantasy play area, display table etc

It works, but by the end of the term we're all a bit frazzled!!!

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 19, 2009

I am guessing mine is 25 x 25 but it seems less due to built in cabinets and the computer area. I wish it was a little wider, but it is fine. If you are talking about that Places and Spaces site, I agree, some of those look really big.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2009

I'm not sure of the dimensions. But it fits 41 kids desks, my desk, a computer, 2 cabinets, and for a month or so, a Christmas tree!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 19, 2009

I would guess six feet by eight feet.

Just enough room for a shelf on the side wall, a tiny round table that fits four students around it (or three students and me) and an easel for one of those small whiteboards, and a filing cabinet. I also have a student desk against one wall in situations where a student needs a quiet place to work outside of his/her classroom.

Generally I have no more than three kids in the room with me at one time (sometimes a fourth if there's someone working at the student desk).

It can be quite cramped, but I don't mind it. It's for small group instruction anyway... obviously not intended for a classroom. (It used to be the milkroom, it held a cooler and a juice machine.)

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2009

Mine is about 30' x 25'. It sits on a back corner of the school, and has three huge windows -- two facing to the south and one to the east. I keep the blinds open most of the time, so the room seems even larger.

With only 15 students in my class, we have plenty of room for all sorts of centers and activities.

I will cry if I don't get to keep the same room next year.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 19, 2009

My room is about 15'x20". It set near the end of the longest hall where we can see the sky through our windows instead of other hallways. It's unfortunate that the dumpsters are back there as well but those big ugly things have to go somewhere.

As far as students, I have as few as 6 in one period on Fridays, an average load of 15 most classes, and 22-27 in at least one periods every day. I have just enough room to fit the tables and chairs that accommodates my largest groups. Having just enough room means that sometimes it gets cramped when I try putting projects somewhere to dry.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 19, 2009

Mine is 20 x 23 and good size for most classes. It gets rather snug during first block with 31 students.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2009

I'm really excited about the classroom I will be moving to next year. It's in the new wing of the building, and much larger (not to mention brighter and cheerier). Plus, I will only have 14 kids, so we will have plenty of room! I was really worried about how I was going to fit 25 fifth graders in my current room next year--but that's not my issue to worry about anymore ;)

14. Arky

Arky Comrade

Apr 19, 2009

28 X 32. 25 Students

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2009

I think that it is about the same size as Arky's room. 22 students.

16. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

I thought mine was bad! It's 24'x29' (awkwardly arranged though, with a closet jutting out) for 30 1st graders.

17. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

18. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Apr 27, 2009

My room is huge this year. About 48' by 28' just walking it. Risers take up half the room though where the actual floor raises about 3 inches every 3 feet. Someone thought it was a good idea but it's not. It's not good for band, chorus, or lecturing. I'm on the 3rd floor with 5 huge floor to ceiling windows and have a nice view of Washington, DC though, so I can deal with the risers. I still have half a room left anyway.