How kids are treated on the Job front

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2007

A friend of my Step daughter's was fired from Jack in the Box.

Now he is not a poster boy for a great looking Kid (he does like the goth look, and wears "shrapnel for a fashion statement" (piercings) but not at work. (I took my daughter through the drive through so she could see him and I did not recognize him :toofunny:)
    He is a polite young man if he comes over he volunteers to carry in stuff for me, groceries, lumber, etc. Says "Thank you" if I give him a ride home from school.
    He just likes to look like he has “metal growing out of his head” ***:eek: shutter :eek:***

He knows how he screwed up but his big compliant was
    AND Jack can do this because they have 20 kids for every job offer.

It is a hard world out there

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2007

He didn't receive any on the job training? Usually they throw you right out there to the wolves, but someone shadows you. Are you sure there is not more to this story?

It could be also be a discrimination thing... it's unfortunate, but a wake up call too. People are judged and the world is not fair. I hope he finds a better fit.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2007

I asked him if there was someone looking over his shoulder he said no his Aunt is a manager at the same "box" but a different shift and had no contact with him or his work record,
    He did not get a shadow.* He said his Aunt was mad at him (10%) and his boss (90%). He was fired his second day when he was told to do something that was on the video and he hand not even seen his work area much less having done the work before. I Questioned him (like a prospective employer) I pulled no punches he knew I would be asking him about his job.

All my daughters friends call me "the inquisitor" I ask questions! One told my daughter “I am so glad your dad asked me what he asked me, my new boss asked me the same things and I had an answer!”

*(well the sun does shine 360 days a year here I did not ask if he went outside :toofunny: )

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 30, 2007

My daughter is into piercings and unusual clothing and jewelry, much of which she makes herself. People do judge her by her looks, unfortunately, and although she is often hurt and surprised by their judgemental attitudes, she has enough of an independent streak to still "be herself" no matter what others think. One day last year, an adult said to me, "what do YOU think about your daughter's piercing and hair?" (in a very snide, opinionated tone, of course). My response was... well, she does not drink, smoke, or use drugs. She has a job, is a straight A student, tutors other students, volunteers at a soup kitchen, and is respectful, kind, and helpful at home. She also is taking college courses at night in addition to all the honors courses she takes. I think if she wants to piece something, and color her hair, in her spare time, it is just fine." What I did not add was, she probably behaves better than your kids do. I just wish the world would not judge people by the outside, but by what they are like on the inside. You are right, it is a hard world out there.

6. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Sep 30, 2007

I used to work at a Jack in the Box. :blush:

I can't speak with much certainty but at the time I quit (early 05) they were moving away from 'on the job' training to making employees sit down at an interactive touch screen terminal and watching a video and then being quizzed on it. Before then, they would just sit down and watch hours of videos.

I think though it sounds like he just got a bad deal. I guess it happens, people can be petty. I'd think on day 2 they'd be a little more willing to help him out. It must have been a pretty bad screw up for them to go that far. I've never seen anyone get fired that quick! :eek:

Ahh, i'm so glad I got out of that place. It was hell, but I found my niche. ;)

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2007

MY Daughter likes the "Black look, goth look" and she takes all AP classes, Volunteers at the hospital, Cleans the kitchen (a big help since I have the fractured rib and my wife is working 180 miles away) but that look stills bugs me. Since she does not drink, smoke, or use drugs, I just think This too shall pass.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2007

He was told to do something that was on the video when he did it he must have left something out or did something wrong. This was his first time doing it.
    I the real point was just where has training gone?

I imagine that Jack in The box must have a good training program but at the local level it is not implemented correctly.
    :2cents:

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2007

That's unfortunate- that you can't make a mistake and at least learn from it. I mean, it's Jack in the Box.... not brain surgery. Why would they discourage teens who want to work?

10. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 2, 2007

Dunno..teens have a hard time getting a job anyway. They are usually harder to manage, have high turn over, and are a headache because of labor laws.

11. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 2, 2007

I'll vouch for that. ;)

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 3, 2007

My 19 year old has worked at Winn Dixie for over two years. He began as a bag boy and after a year was moved to produce-which isn't too difficult of a move. But he came home the other day wearing a white coat and announced that he now is working in the meat department because they fired the other guy. I asked him what training he got and he just laughed. They gave him the white coat and that was that. I only hope they do not expect him to actually cut meat!!

13. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 3, 2007

Knife, meat. He's been doing it his whole life. And now, he can put these fine skills to work for other peoples victuals...

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2007

Sure a Meat cutting Bandsaw, Meat slicer, Meat weighing over 20 Lb, Yes I am sure he has doing it his whole life.:rolleyes:
    there is reason why children under 18 can not use them by law.

15. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 4, 2007

It is like wood shop with pork chops.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 6, 2007

When working at a meat packing plant (such a fancy name for that tiny building in town), he cut off the tip of his finger after he had been working there five years.

Cutting up a cow is not as easy as you might think. When our family cuts up a calf to fill up the freezer, it takes four hours.