How is your summer going?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 27, 2013

Just wondering how everyone's summer is getting along and if you're doing anything teaching related.

I kind of took a decision to stress myself this summer by doing an RET (research experience for teachers) at a university lab. I'm doing extremely difficult physics and math that I've never done before, and I'll be building a high powered laser. Apart from my brain melting it's fun. The only downside or upside depending on how you look at it is that I'm in Colorado for 6 weeks.

It's a lot hotter here than I thought it would be. Hotter than California even though it snows here in winter. Also my boyfriend is still in California so I feel kind of isolated. It's a new experience though and I'm doing my best to enjoy it!

How has your summer been coming along?

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2013

Mine just started today. Getting ready for summer school already but at least I have next week off.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 27, 2013

Our kids went home May 17.

I've worked 8 days so far: two curriculum mapping, two writing plan, two leadership, two service learning. I was supposed to have two more this week, but I had jury duty.

I go back to work July 29. That leaves me two weeks before I have to get my room ready.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2013

I've been applying for new jobs and interviewing. Not much time to do anything else....

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

Going? It hasn't even started yet!!!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2013

Just got out Friday...

I'm off to a good schedule with getting some projects done around the house, working out, tutoring...

I'll get in some beach days...also have 2 weddings in July plus a coaching workshop and book club.

:thumb:

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

Today was my first official day without teaching summer school and it has been fantastic! I finished most of a book this morning, took the dog for a walk, browsed the internet for a bit and oh yeah, accepted a new teaching position back home where I want to be! I would say it has been a pretty good day so far. :D

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2013

Quickly! I've been in PD classes A LOT. For the past 3 days, I've not felt well (sinus infection), but I'm going to the doctor in the morning - can't wait to feel better! I have a bunch more courses to come, but I also hope to get into my new classroom (a former classroom turned storage dump, being returned to classroom status) next week - I have tons to do! We got out May 24, and my hubby & I went out of town for a week (I was forbidden to do ANYTHING teacher related, lol). We go back on August 8 - I just hope I can get my room together in time!

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 27, 2013

Yesterday was my first day of summer!

I slept all morning, went to lunch with a friend, and then we saw World War Z.

Today I slept all morning, walked the dog, took another nap, and now I'm off to the bar. :lol:

It's been...great so far?

I'm not free of work though! I have 3 days of Reading PD coming up and 4 days of Science PD.

11. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

I've been off a week. In that time: I've had a goose die, had her gander go into noisy mourning, and driven three hours to get him a new wife. She is a gorgeous pure white Embden with violet blue eyes. Embarrassing to say, their marriage was consummated within about ten seconds of their first meeting. They're honking away right now in the yard, their first spat? We also took delivery of 16 day-old chicks. They're bobbling around under a heat lamp, doing well. This evening,we're going to pick up a little stray dog from down South - a twelve-pound Fiest, a squirrel-hunting breed. (I do not hunt anything, by the way). She'll be our 4th dog. Tomorrow, well be picking up a stray beagle in Vermont: number five. We've had three to seven dogs continually for the past thirty years - vagabonds all ! - so I guess we're back to normal.

All in all, it's been a week of creatures, so it's been good.

12. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

I know what you mean. The teacher who was in my new room was there for 9-10 years and the lady before her retired and left everything. Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jun 27, 2013

poof

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2013

I've only been off this week...and Monday and Tuesday I spent packing up my room. Yesterday and today have been spent cleaning and playing with my 2 year old. :) I have a smartboard workshop in late July and a Wilson conference in August. Otherwise I'll do a little organizing at home and do some work in my classroom at times.

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2013

This is day two, and yesterday I spent most of the day getting my wife cleared out of her classroom. Next week I'll be attending an Apple conference, learning how to use iPads in the classroom. I'm very excited. Maybe then I can somehow get some iPads to use!

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 27, 2013

I've been out for almost a month, and have about 6 weeks left. I've had 3 days of PD already, with 2 more in July. I've spent time playing with my kids, and more time than I would like taking the baby to the doctor. She'll be getting tubes next week, so hopefully that will make her feel better. This week I've been in organize the house mode, so I've been tackling all those projects I've put off.

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

I can't believe the 4th is already next week. I'm just enjoying the chance to catch up on things that I let go during the year. Going strawberry picking next week. Yum!

18. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 27, 2013

I've been done with school since the 7th, but am just now getting around to relaxing a bit. I attended two workshops which I loved. It seems like something has always popped up here and there in these first few weeks! Only 29 days until my vacation in New Orleans!

19. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

My summer is half over tomorrow! :(

I've been working a lot this month on my dissertation and hope to be near the data collection phase by the time I go back to work (August 5). I haven't done a thing classroom-related, which is unusual for me. Monday, I will finally be going back to school to put my classroom together and prepare for summer school, which is the two weeks following the 4th.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2013

We have a three week break starting Saturday. Tomorrow is the students' recital we have to go to which is usually painfully long (about 5 hours! ugh!) But I'm so excited about going to Cuba I feel like I'm already on vacation :D

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2013

I spent the first two weeks getting our other house ready to sell. I will spend the rest of the summer relaxing at home,visiting theme parks, and doing ABSOLUTELY no schoolwork!

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2013

Give me a wave if you pass through north Louisiana!:lol:

23. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jun 27, 2013

I was going to be on my way to Costa Rica this weekend, but with this a cross country move coming up at the beginning of August, I cancelled to better prepare myself. I should be disappointed, but I'm just relieved! One less thing to worry about....

So I have been organizing, dejunking, and packing.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2013

My summer will begin in about 18 hours--I'll let you know then!

25. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

Phew...I thought I was the only one still working! I'm done tomorrow at noon.

26. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 28, 2013

I have not looked at a textbook in two weeks.
    We were at the New Jersey shore. There was a principal where I was staying at - very snippy - wanted to know why I don't have a Master's - noyb!

I'm doing a lot of baking and gardening. Also, prepping my daughter for two pageants (top prize $600) which would cover my school supplies.

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

I'm curious about children's pageants...I guess I was under the mistaken impression that pageant money won by children was put in trust for their education?

28. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

It's going great so far! I've been out for two weeks now. I down 4 days in a technology workshop. Now I'm focusing on spending time with my preschoolers.... So far we've spent time at the pool, library storytime, the zoo and the beach. Tomorrow we're leaving for a one week vacation with my mom, aunts, cousins and their kids at the beach.

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 28, 2013

Today was our last day! We got out at noon and I was out of there by 1:30. Now I'm relaxing on the couch watching TV and I plan to take a nap soon....aah, this is the life. ;) So, the 1.5 hours of summer I've had so far have been GREAT! lol

30. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2013

I have lots planned. I'm taking three classes and have quite a few books in my must read pile. I'm thinking of applying for a different position, which will mean more work to prepare for the new grade and a building move. I'm a little stressed by all that I have put on my plate (especially the 3 classes). But it's better to get them out of the way now while I have the time!

31. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

Hopefully I can stop in Baton Rouge as well. There's a fabulous cupcake bakery there in Perkin's Square called Sweet Wishes Cafe. I'm interested in cupcakes, go figure. :p

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2013

I was done with my previous job 5/23, so I was looking for another job as quickly as possible, to hopefully avoid fretting & scrambling all summer long. Fortunately, got another job for 2013-14 on 6/7, but I had to work a little right away during their summer school, which was fine with me. I worked only 6 days for 2 hrs ech day the last 3 wks of June. I finished earlier this week (6/26).

So, it's going well! I've got 1 1/2 months to really have fun!

33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 28, 2013

I just asked today where June went. We sent students home the 24th of May. We finished up the 28th. I had a tech meeting the 29th, and then vacation started. I'm moving back to 3rd so have been looking at the new curriculum, organizing my books, and playing on Pinterest. I worked one day in my new classroom and was going to work another one but had a flat tire so missed that one. Now they are locked up to clean and wax the main floor classrooms. We have a tech conference the 25th of July and start preplanning the 26th. Kids come August 2nd.

34. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

My summer is awful. I just got into a car wreck by rear ending somebody. I just want to crawl into a hole and die right now.

35. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 28, 2013

I've been off from school for a week, but I didn't really start my summer vacation yet because I've spent the entire week in Orton training. Today was the last day and I have my certification which is good, but DH got laid off today which is not good, obviously - and I don't earn a paycheck over the summer. So...so far the summer's not really off to a banner start for me.

36. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 29, 2013

Don't worry hb. Life still continues after bad accidents. Their names are their exact descriptions. They're accidents.

37. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 29, 2013

Honestly, very stressful because I've bitten off more than I can chew as far as responsibilities. I'm overwhelmed. I'll be relieved when summer is over at this point!

38. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 29, 2013

Today is my first official day of holidays! I slept 11 hours last night, enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and then stayed in my pyjamas until 3 this afternoon. I mowed the grass, ran some errands and finally hung up some pictures in the house (I moved in 6 months ago, but just haven't had the time!!). So far so good! I'm unwinding and trying not to think of all the 'should have dones' from the previous school year.

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 29, 2013

This has been a wonderful summer so far! My daughters are taking summer courses every day from 8-12, so I have time off! This is the first time that's happened since they were born 11 years ago. And even then, I worked in business and didn't get summers off... !

40. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2013

I've had a pretty lazy summer. The first two weeks I had to finish my National Board portfolio and take the Assessment Center. But since then, I haven't really done anything. I've been sleeping in really late, watching tons of TV, and reading a ton of books. We've also been trying to get pregnant for a while, so I went in and did IUI last Friday. I'm really hoping it works!

41. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 29, 2013

My last day of summer school was Friday, so my summer officially started this weekend. It's been 100+ degrees, and I don't have AC. So, I'm basically being lazy, trying not to melt.