How is your school using the PARCC or Smarter Balanced Assessments this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

My district is administering the Smarter Balanced assessments in April, but the scores won't count. There will not be standardized test scores this year. We also don't yet know if we're administering the ELA, Math, or a combination.

What's your school's plan?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2014

From what I can tell, next year will continue to use the state assessments, but will roll out the PARCC on a trial basis. The biggest problem we have is that our students test in designated locations near their homes, but not all have connectivity available. The center I've proctored most often is in a tornado shelter, and getting a signal anywhere but the stairwell is difficult, even on a phone.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

We thought we were going with SBAC until this fall. Then, our state developed their own SBAC-style exam. It has been very messy. Luckily, scores don't count this year. We are giving ELA, math, and science (I think).

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 19, 2014

You all should've already found out which section(s) of the field test you'll be taking. In fact, last week was the deadline for the State of CA to provide all districts with this important info.

Don't forget that all grade-levels will be taking the ELA and Mathematics Non-Performance Tasks.

If you're curious about your school district and school, look up the info using the following link (it'll let you know whether you're taking the ELA or Mathematics Performance Task):

http://californiatac.org/administration/instructions/assignments/index.html

Sorry for the bold, underlining, and italics. I was trying to emphasize certain key phrases! :)

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

YTG, thank you (no offense taken at bold or italicized words)!
    I looked it up and it says my grade is doing ELA and Math, but there is only one performance task listed, "Animals with Shells."

Good info!

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 19, 2014

We'll be taking PARCC next year.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

What, if anything, will you take this year?

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 19, 2014

The same state tests we've always taken.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2014

Right now the plan is PARCC field test for some grades (we don't get results from these) and our regular state test that counts just as much as it always has.

I don't think it's right that we have to take the field test before the real test. Students are already sick of testing. I can see doing the field test a few weeks after state testing is over.

11. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 20, 2014

Interesting that this should come up today. I recently read an article in our local newspaper that said that this spring, in addition to the NECAP high stakes tests, the schools will also be administering the PARC tests - another 8-10 hours of testing!:eek:

And better yet, it won't count!:eek::eek:

Today I read another related article entitled Superintendent Lusi Tells Lawmakers That There's Too Much Testing!

Finally, an administrator who is finally willing to take a stand for kids! :thumb:

Here's the article:
    PROVIDENCE, R.I. — School Supt. Susan Lusi told lawmakers that her students and staff are spending too much time on testing at the expense of preparing students for the Common Core state standards.

Lusi and Providence School Board President Keith Oliveira were invited by Rep. Teresa Tanzi to speak Wednesday before a dozen members of the General Assembly. Tanzi said the forum was designed as a follow-up to a recent hearing before the House Health, Education and Welfare Committee.

Tanzi, D-South Kingstown, said she didn’t invite anyone from the state Department of Education to Wednesday’s roundtable. She said, however, that she had invited state Education Commissioner Deborah A. Gist to speak at two earlier public forums, but that she had declined.

Elliot Krieger, a spokesman for the education commissioner, said the Department of Education plans to schedule a forum on the Common Core education standards at Rhode Island College. The Common Core is a uniform set of English and math standards adopted by 45 states, including Rhode Island and the District of Colombia.

Lusi said Rhode Island is not making the same commitment to education reform that has made Massachusetts a national leader.

“In Providence, what we’re doing is distracting us from that agenda,” she said. “We’re not focused on the Common Core. We’re just doing test after test.”

Gist says that testing high school students is one way of demonstrating that they are prepared for college or the workplace. Too many students, she says, have graduated only to find themselves taking remedial courses in college.

Students who fail the NECAP are eligible to take one of 10 alternate tests. Waivers are available on a case-by-case basis for students who have demonstrated subject mastery.

Oliveira worries that those seniors who don’t pass the NECAP, which they can retake, will become discouraged and drop out.

Several legislators expressed concern Wednesday that the NECAP was putting too much stress on high school juniors and seniors and their teachers.

“I taught for 37 years and I retired from teaching because all we did was test,” said Rep. Donna Walsh, D-Charlestown. “I saw kids that were test-weary. We are testing at the expense of curriculum.”

But Rep. Joy Hearn, D-Barrington, cautioned against rolling back the clock on education reform.

“We need to get these students as much help as humanly possible,” she said. “Our responsibility as legislators is to make sure we deliver educated adults.”