How is your lunchroom handled?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ios man, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ios man

ios man New Member

Aug 25, 2019

Hello,

Another post has me thinking our principal spends 10:50-12:50 in the lunchroom monitoring. Parapro's are also required to be in there. The janitor staff is there also, but may as well not be.

How does your school handle lunchtime? Who does the monitoring?

thanks
    iosman

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    MrTempest likes this.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 25, 2019

Two custodians and the specials teachers run the cafeteria.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2019

In my district, anyone who is not a classroom teacher might do a recess or lunch duty shift - principals, specials teachers, interventionists, paras. Custodians would be present for cleaning but not for supervising students.

Oh, and classroom teachers may be asked to sub if the person who regularly holds that duty is unavailable.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 25, 2019

The P, AP, one para, and the SEL teacher

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2019

In my previous school, admin ran lunches for about 80 minutes total. They had paras to help.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2019

Our admin, the custodian, and a few sped aides run our lunches. Another school I was in was run the same way.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 25, 2019

Oh my goodness. Reading about schools where admin have to run the lunch room makes me thankful to work in my district. There's no way I could be locked into manning the cafeteria 5 days a week as so many things pop up throughout the day. Each school in my district has 6-8 noon duty supervisors (cafeteria and yard personnel) who work 2.5 hours/day. They run the cafeteria and provide outdoor supervision. When my principal and I aren't facilitating teacher or parent meetings, running student clubs, and dealing with discipline issues, we do help with cafeteria and yard duty. It's important for us to be visible.

ETA: Lunches start at 10:45 for Transitional Kindergarten and end at 1:15 for 6th grade. So we have 2.5 hours of lunches each day.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2019

Many yrs ago, the district used to pay for lunch/recess helpers. Usually top notch moms, who passed background checks were hired. They really should bring that back. Teachers need their lunch and prep time and admin does need to be free to do what they specialize in doing.

bella84 likes this.
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2019

In most of my schools, teachers were required to eat with their students and take them out for recess. Many times teams got together and shared duties so we wouldn't have to be in there every day...maybe 3 times per week.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2019

Swansong, Wow! Teachers being required to eat lunch while supervising kids is wrong to me. I might do it for fun on a special day, but would not make a habit of it. Do you get a lot of other time for prep in place of that?
    All 8 hr jobs ( I think) have to give employees a lunch break and at least 2 bathroom breaks.
    Schools get away from the breaks somehow, but I would not want to give up lunchtime. It is kind of my regroup time. I might, ok I would, lol check out how legal that policy is...

Backroads likes this.
  12. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 25, 2019

Our K paras supervise K/1 lunch, then ESL staff/intervention teachers/and instructional paras rotate lunch duty for 2-5.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2019

Just clarifying my post after reading yours. Our principals do the same. They do not actually have lunch duty. Specials teachers, interventionists, and paras do. But if the principals aren’t needed elsewhere, they are in the cafeteria or on the playground supporting.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 26, 2019

I'm not sure how I feel about it. In many ways, students eating with the students and just running the lunch show seems very nice and cozy.

However, in my district lunch is part of our duty-free break time, required by some state law or another. And I really, really like it. Like @Tired Teacher, it's definitely my regroup time (I'm an introvert by nature, so while I love teaching, I definitely do need that downtime).

To the original question, I'm not sure how our lunch room is handled. It changed this year. I'll spy and find out for the sake of the thread.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  15. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Aug 26, 2019

At the high school where I sub, we have three 30-minute lunch periods, so the entire lunch period is 1.5 hours. Four teachers are assigned to each lunch period, so four have two lunch periods of duty and then one off. The teachers' contract requires them to get a thirty-minute duty-free lunch. The custodians are in there, too, but the teachers are expected to handle any behavioral issues. Our resource officer is usually in there, too, unless he is needed elsewhere.

I had lunch duty last year and didn't really mind it. The kids never got out of hand unless a break was coming up, and the end of the school year was chaotic. The admin was (and still is) very good about handling any issues should a teacher have to send a kid to the office for behavior. They realize that stupid stuff happens in the lunchroom sometimes.