How is your classroom library organized?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Ellensmom, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I am new to 5th this year and right now I just have my books on a shelf with large collections of author or theme in baskets. The other 5th grade teacher sorts her books by alphabetical order in baskets. We both use cards for students to check out the books. She closes her library for a couple of weeks each term to sort and locate missing books. I'm curious as to how most 5th grade teachers organize your libraries. What system have you used for checking out and organizing? What works and doesn't work for you? :unsure:

3. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I am going to be reorganizing my class library starting this week. I have my books in baskets also. Some of my baskets are by author, some by themes, and some by genres. I have two or three student libarians who help check in and out books. They also keep the library straigtened. I am going to label every basket before August and if I have time, I will also label the books so the students know what basket they got the book from. I also have my libary set up with a big comfy chair and a small area rug to make it more inviting.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

I laughed when I saw your thread title--right now my books are all in massive piles in the middle of the floor! There's NO organization right now at all :)

5. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 20, 2010

My library is usually one of the first things I tackle. I guess because it is such a concrete thing to deal with. I am very much a hands on type of person, so the more I can deal with physically, instead of having to visualizing, the better off I am. Plus, I changed rooms this year, and the boxes of my library books were easily identified, so I could get to them first.;)

6. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

I was wondering about this as well. Is it better to label them by subject matter versus alphabetically? I've also seen by author like you would see in a real library.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I organize my books based on reading level. I have books ranging from 3.5-6.5. We have a new literacy program this year, so we will be getting new books for SSR. I learned my lesson last year. If I send books home, they never come back. :(

8. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

since we are going to do a large focus on literacy and one of our elements is genre studies, i will arrange mine by genre. each basket will be labeled and each book will have a corresponding color coded system that matches the color of the genre basket. right now they are in 17 boxes in my dining room! :)

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

I have a variety of ways--some are by author, some are by genre, some are subdivided (nonfiction government, nonfiction animals). I have a basket that needs to be figured out where they should go.

10. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 21, 2010

After reading all the different ways you have organized your library, I think I am going to leave it the way it is. If it doesn't work, then I can make changes. Thanks for your comments.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

I have colored dot stickers taped to the spines indicating genre. In the past I always put books of like genres together on the shelves, but this year I will have to reorganize things. We began using AR last spring. I leveled all my books and plan on putting them on the shelves according to levels (2.5-3.5, 3.5-4.5, 4.5-5.5, etc.)

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

I have a lot of books organized by Lexile Levels and then most chapter book series are seperated in book baskets by series.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

Mine are not organized at all. That is something I need to work on before the summer is over.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2010

Mine are now organized in baskets--mostly by genre, with a few series and favorite authors pulled out. Tip if you're using baskets--make sure they aren't too full! I made that mistake last year, and then had no where to put new books that I got during the year. :)

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

I have two sets. The 'main' library is organized by genre. I really stress genres, and the students have a genre project due each month, so I left this library in genres to help them.

The other section (in a different part of the room) is leveled by Guided Reading level (N-Z) for use during reading workshop.

I think this year I will add a third section for partner reading. I have spent the summer scouring the used book store, garage sales, etc. for second copies of some of the titles I already have.