How is the quality is of Dooney & Bourke Purses?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LUCHopefulTeach, Jul 9, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

So when I was walking my dog yesterday I saw this woman with this purse and I fell absolutely in love with it. I saw it online on the D&B website but it looks fantastic in person and mediocre online so I never considered it.

The purse:
    [​IMG]

It's a Dooney & Burke Dillen II leather satchel. I've never owned a Dooney & Bourke- was always a Coach fan or Guess fan growing up- and I'm curious to know about the quality. Will it last me more than a year? My husband is willing to spend the $270 for my birthday in Septemeber but I'm not if it's going to be poor quality and start to fall apart within the next 14 months.

I know the purse color is a little out of the ordinary. They have other colors- brown, black, red, gray, navy, etc. I've just been obsessed with this aqua/ turquoise color lately.

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

I started buying D&B because I didn't like the Coach styles anymore. I have one similar to the one you're considering. The leather is stiffer than the Coach purses but will get softer with wear. I've had mine for about a year and it still looks great. IMO the quality of the D&B is better than Coach's.

You may want to check out Zappo's - I bought one purse through the D&B website and it took forever to get to me. I bought one at Zappo's and got it the next day. Also, Zappo's has them at their regular prices, but often has different styles on sale.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 9, 2011

I LOVE my Dooney & Burke!!! It's the first expensive purse I got. I love the room, and it is definitely sturdy. I got mine when my daughter got to walking age--it's easier to throw some diapers and wipes in there than manage a separate diaper bag with an independent toddler. She's in and out of it all the time and can't damage it. It will definitely last more than a year.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 9, 2011

I have 3 Dooney & Burke purses and I absolutely love them. I also have 1 Coach purse and I think the construction of my Dooney ones are better but it could be because my Coach one is a smaller, evening bag and is less "constructed". I don't know if you have a Belk department store where you live, but it was the only place that I found that actually had great sales on their Dooney bags.

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 9, 2011

According to their website, they have a one-year warranty. I don't know if a year is long enough but they look sturdy and good quality. I don't think a brand name would be able to keep sales with those prices if quality wasn't that good.

It's a really pretty purse. :)

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

It is nice. I think they are ok. My daughters haven't had issues. I have one from the 80's (brown/blue trim) and the zipper broke after about a year. It was going to be expensive to fix, so I never did! I still have it- hated to throw out an expensive purse!! (I didn't use it much either.)

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 9, 2011

I have a Dooney just like the one in the picture and I have had it several years and it has held up really well. The leather does get softer with wear, which is a bummer because it kind of changes the shape, but that's true with any leather bag.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 9, 2011

I've had three of them. I really liked them all. I had one that had a broken latch, but they fixed it for me for free. I sold two of them because they were large bags and really heavy. (I don't like Coach for the same reason.)

I still have mine like this.

[​IMG]

The white is more of a cream color now. I think it has something to do with the coating on the fabric, but it's still a nice bag. I've been considering carrying it again some this summer. It's been awhile since I carried it.

My most durable "fancy" purse has been Gucci, though. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't destroy that bag if I tried.

10. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

I went out today to look at both Coach and Dooney and Burke. I want a new purse for my birthday in September and have it narrowed down to two. After seeing both, the D&B one is $100 less and I felt it was better built- it felt more sturdy, material felt thicker and richer. I think I'm going to go with it... I'm not 100% sure but 90% sure. The wait is going to be slow and painful though...

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2011

You will be surprised at how much that color goes with. You can wear it with brown, black, white, navy, pink, oranges, yellows and come shades of red. It's almost a neutral.

I like that it doesn't have their obnoxious logo all over it. I think that is tacky and it's one thing I hate about expensive purses, although I know they aren't all like that.

12. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

I don't like the big logos either. I never did on my coach purses or my guess purses either. My drean purse is the LV Speedy in Damier Ebene and I love it especially because it doesn't have the LV pattern.

I wear a lot of neutral colors so I don't think it would be an eyesore or too much. My husband thinks I only like it because it's almost Tiffany's Blue. :haha:

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

D&B is usually excellent quality. Since I'm vegan and don't use leather (except for some old things I still have), I have one that is a tote made out of a sort of plastic covered linen.

It looks nice, but feels light and doesn't look durable, but I abuse the heck out of it by loading it up with laptop, iPad, books, miscellaneous crap I'm too lazy to sort through, etc and 3 years in, it still looks like new and holds it's shape well.

I have an older canvas small purse that I don't use much anymore, and that also held up very well.

In terms of quality, they are pretty comparable to Coach, and you can also have the company send you free replacement hardware if needed.

Even if the warranty is too old, if a zipper or something breaks, they will usually fix it free if you call them. I haven't had that happen, but they did it for my roommate (she didn't take care of anything at all and could destroy anything nice within a week).

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2011

Love that color, which will really enhance your outfit! D&B seems to be of excellent quality. I know quite a few people have them. Personally, D&B in general isn't my style, but they're nice.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

I love my one D and B. The zippers are occasionally a little stiff at first, but I think they are much nicer than Coach.

16. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I saw that purse at a restaurant--I actually noticed it, because it was so cute and BIG! It didn't look like a jumbo tote but it was obviously very roomy.

I'm a purse junky and have Coach bags (my preference so far as brands) from college (25 years ago since grad...), so I believe in the the investment as a long term wardrobe piece. I totally admit I spend money on purses, LOL, but I don't drink, smoke and don't do much that's expensive hobby-wise, so I guess that is my one vice....;)

I say go for it. :D

17. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

As a purse fanatic I own quite a few D&B purses as well as Guess and Coach (and recently Tiganello). Out of D&B, Guess, and Coach I would rate D&B the highest in quality. The first one was a gift while I was still in high school (I'm now in my 3rd year of teaching!) and it's has definitely lasted!! Well worth the purchase! You will love it! Also - D&B tend to be more classic when sticking with solid colors, so it won't be out of style in a few years as many of the designs of Guess or the patterns of Coach. Hope this helps!