How is Montessori different?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Cool Yoga, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Cool Yoga

Cool Yoga Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

My interest has been piqued after reading "Technology of Montessori Teaching" found on the International Montessori Society website.

I wonder how this all feels in practice and how is compares to more traditional schools. I've read comments here that children select their own activities and are provided lots of time to work them through. How does this function in practice?

Thanks!

3. Cool Yoga

Cool Yoga Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

Let me follow this up by saying that I have a positive view of Montessori and have no interest in debating this. I'm curious, that's all. I like what I have read so far and simply want to know more.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

If I were you, I'd find one near you and go and observe and see it in action. That, to me, is really the only way to get a feel for how it works.

5. bex

bex Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I worked in a Montessori mixed age pre-school for over a year, and while I was skeptical at first, I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

I'd be the first to admit that the approach doesn't work for all children. It's great for more independent kids, but with effort from the teachers and parents, children who do struggle with self guidance can catch on. I've seen this first hand.

Myself, I'd like to see Montessori in action for older children. Having gone to a traditional school myself, I can't wrap my head around how it would work all the way through high school.