How is January going for you?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 18, 2012

The last couple of years, I've fallen into multi-day assignments in January, so the month hadn't been too slow. This year, I got three days right after Christmas break, but since then it's been relatively slow. I can usually count on having at least one or two days a week scheduled ahead of time, but I've been having to troll online for jobs this month and finding a lot of them on callout so I can't get to them. I've also had to take a few morning calls. I'm usually able to avoid the last minute calls.

The MLK holiday didn't help. I'm very glad I don't live in a place with weather that cancels schools. That would make January even more difficult!

I think one of the most frustrating things about subbing is that you can only be so proactive. After that, you're in the dark. Are there just no jobs? Did they find someone they liked better than me? Did I do something wrong that I don't know about?

It's kind of like dating! :confused:

How is your January going?

3. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

After the long breaks in November and December, it's always nice to hit January with so many fully weeks. MLK day does knock out a few days, but overall I'm usually glad to hit January for subbing. We do get snow days here, but they are very rare.

Sorry to hear about your lull, it does seem like those happen sometime. Hope it turns around soon.

4. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jan 19, 2012

I have been very lucky so far. I have only had 3 days this month I have not subbed.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 19, 2012

I'm in my third year of subbing and I've found that every year seems different. Sometimes the lulls seem predictable but I've often been surprised. So far this year, I've subbed everyday except for one since Christmas. Some of those have been half days so it's been a little slower that way but I'm sometimes thankful to have half days so that I can run needed errands. Alot of the schools around here are getting ready for ITBS. That tends to slow things down. Fortunately, not all the schools where I live were off on MLK day so I didn't miss because of it. Things have a way of changing quickly for subbing. If it's slow now, be prepared! It will probably turn aroud very quickly!