How is it different in 1st?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by leighbball, Jul 16, 2009.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

I've never taught 1st before and my P and the student success advocate have asked me to especially prepare for guided reading for September because its so different from what I've done before. How do you think it is different from the other grades and what should I do to be prepared? :)

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

Refresh my memory, Leigh....what other grades have you taught?

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

Be prepared for non-readers... COMPLETE non-readers and students who need to be taught classroom procedures. Some kids will come in needing instruction in letter-sound relationships. Some will come in reading comfortably. It is a FUN year in general, but especially reading-wise.

Do you use D5? D5 and CAFE (especially the accuracy strategies for firsties) are great.

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

What is D5 and CAFE? Please explain these. Thanks!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

Ditto on the Daily 5 and CAFE!!! Fantastic stuff. I would also recommend reading or rereading Guided Reading by Fountas and Pinnell.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

The Daily 5 (D5) is the structure for what the rest of the kids are doing while you're working with small groups. CAFE provides structure for what you're teaching during guided reading.

Check out the Peony Room on Proteacher.org for more in-depth info.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

I taught a year of K my first year teaching, followed by 5 years of 2 and 3 :)

9. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

Study phonics! Find out what your school uses to teach basic phonics (if they do) or find a curriculum that you can use as a reference. You'll have to be prepared to help kids sound out words and recognize words that they've already sounded out when they see them again. I use a simple tool to assess kids in the first week: it's just a list of the letters, dipthongs, and simple blends for them to read for me individually. If they know all of the letters and the basic blends (th, sh, ch, etc.), I give them short lists of words to read, beginning with 3-letter short vowel words, then 4-letter long vowel, and moving up in complexity. That helps me place them in groups and know where to begin with each of them. During the year, we go back to that assessment twice so they can see their progress. It's a great tool to use at parent conferences in October to show progress to parents.