How is "Experience" defined?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gabbyraja, Jul 5, 2010.

1. gabbyraja

gabbyraja Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

I'm assuming if I went to a public school and applied to be a Kindergarten teacher, they would want to see me having taught elementary ed in a public school setting. So, I'm assuming I have to sub in those grades to get my experience.

However, I've been teaching college for a year, and will for probably 2 more before I start applying. I also homeschool my 4 (soon to be 5) children, up to age 8. So, I do have some experience teaching small children. Do you think either of these "experiences" would count for anything when applying to teach?

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

The experience of homeschooling your children will probably not count as experience in the area of pay. The districts where I've work count full time public or private full year teaching as experience. The college teaching may count, though. Definitely the experience of being a mother counts for something though. You know children and can probably predict what will work well and what will not. You will gain experience student teaching too, right? Really any experience counts if you can relate it to how you would be a better teacher because of it( in an interview setting)!

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 5, 2010

Subbing does not count in most districts as teacher experience.

5. gabbyraja

gabbyraja Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Oh, let me clarify. I do mean experience as far as what's goo enough for getting hired, not experience as far as the pay scale. I figured homeschooling wouldn't "count", but maybe it would show I at least do have experience with kids... I'm not 20 years old with no kids and no experience.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2010

I agree that experience you are able to explain as being beneficial in your duties as a teacher will be what they look for. Being a mother definitely counts for something. I think homeschooling might be a little more tricky because they may want to know why you opted out of the school system and chose home schooling when you now want to become a teacher in that school system but I don't know if it's legal for them to ask you about that.