How is everyones Summer so far?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Jun 18, 2015.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

I haven't been doing much this week, just relaxing mostly.

I have been making some really amazing breakfasts for myself though:p I've never had weeks off BEFORE summer school begins so its really a nice change. After summer school I will also get a month off since we don't go back until September..this is the longest summer break we have ever had:D

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2015

I'm still in school until Tuesday.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 18, 2015

It's fabulous! Last day was Friday. Went out of town for the weekend, and I've been doing a lot of relaxing since. I read two books yesterday! TWO! And plan to read another today! :D I love having time for leisure reading!

We have a pretty short summer compared to many - 7 weeks - because we have more breaks during the year. I have another week of relaxation and then one big trip and one smaller one (part PD) in July. Teachers report back August 4, students August 10.

I'm definitely enjoying it!!!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2015

Next Friday is my last day...the countdown is definitely on!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 18, 2015

I've been sleeping in, taking naps, organizing (closets, drawers, cabinets, etc.), shopping, cooking, baking, and many other things.

Going to Canada on the 29th for a week. Went last summer and thought we'd go again!

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 18, 2015

So far I'm loving summer! It's honestly one of the best summer breaks I've had in a while. I got back from Disney World a couple of weeks ago. In exactly 20 days I'll be flying out to Vegas for the TpT conference, so excited!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 18, 2015

Mine is great so far.

Kids went home on May 29th. We did two days of curriculum work, and I had a couple of other meetings. Went ahead and did some doctor checkups.

Flew to Fort Myers last week. Going home next week. Spending my days by the pool. Nights on the beach after supper.

My house is being painted while I'm gone.

Adopting a dog when I get home. She's a chocolate lab dachshund mix. Our minister is giving her away. I've never had a small dog.

I've got a new classroom to set up. I'm also moving grade levels.

Teachers go back July 30th. Kids return the next week. Summer flies by!

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 18, 2015

Started today! Finished up at school at about 11 am, went out for an early lunch (*cough* beer *cough*) and then did some shopping. I feel like I'll be bored within a week, though. This will be my first non-working summer.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2015

Today was our first day. Was at school late yesterday...I hate ends of things so I sort of took my time in finally calling my first full year over.

I've been very lazy today: slept in a bit (8 vs 530), watched Netflix for a while, did dishes/laundry, cleaning a couple rooms...and hopefully will go do disc golf or toss a frisbee around this evening. I'm telling myself not to do anything school related for at least the first few days of summer ;)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2015

Great! Already had the highlight of my summer...my San Fran trip. Other than that, a few day trips to some beach cities, probably a visit to Disneyland & Knott's Berry Farm, several visits to the movies, a little more dining out, etc. :D

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2015

Doesn't feel like summer yet. I've been taking a couple of classes, which are thankfully finished tomorrow. After that I can really get into my summer mode!

13. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 18, 2015

Definitely agree with Caesar that it doesn't feel like summer yet. I've been out for a week and I've celebrated my birthday with my friends and family, so summer has officially started. I have a strong feeling this summer is going to go by incredibly fast and I won't even get a fraction of my goals completed.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 18, 2015

My last teaching day is June 30th :dizzy: :dizzy:.

I can't wait to sit by the pool & read! And sleep!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2015

We still have another week! :) Soon enough, though,

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

Yikes, MissScrimmage! Hang in there!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

Graduation is next Friday. Then I'll have 2 weeks off until summer school. Going on a 4 day vacation for lots of swimming and hiking!!

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2015

we don't break up until July 17th however we don't go back until the first week in September.

19. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

Its interesting how different everyone summer break is. I am a bit surprised at how late some people go. I know last year we went until June 21st and that was considered late but we had so many snow days so that became ''the norm'' in my area the last few years!!!!

This year we got out a week earlier because they took away one of our winter breaks...we still get the holiday break (about 2 weeks) and a spring break (1 week) and a 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving but they got rid of our February break..now its just a long weekend..we are off so much anyway because of the snow..we average about 10 snow days a year..some years a lot more.

In the end I think it all evens out, especially if you don't go back until September.

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2015

Slow start to the summer for me. Pool repairs start next week so I should be swimming soon. I have a PD scheduled for a week in LA in July, so I'm looking forward to that. I managed to get a summer job in retail and that starts next week also. The summer will be over before I'm ready! I bought a few books yesterday so that's going to be amazing.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

We spent four days in Chicago. Missed seeing the Indians play at the Cubs due to a rainout though, so that was a bummer. I leave for another vacation on July 3. Had a pedicure yesterday and hair appointment today. I really should be doing more school work but to be honest I just don't want to!

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

Between field day, swimming day, a spelling bee and general classroom clean up, the next 5 1/2 days will be a blur! (We are off on Monday as an admin day next week).

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

Working more now than when school was in session!

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

I'm loving being home with my son. It has already been 4 weeks-it's going way too fast! It's going to be hard to start working again, especially because I'll be at a new school.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2015

Wow, you've already been out for a month, nice! But, I know, that usually means the quicker you have to return.

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

Yes, I have to start August 3rd. It would be a little bit later if I wasn't new to the district, but not much. I have 3 extra days, but I get paid $300 a day for new teacher training!

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2015

What I am enjoying is that the weather here has only been sweltering maybe one or two days all summer so far! Shockingly, there's been quite a lot of cool (& not humid) days this month! :cool:

But as always, it's still zipping by way too fast for me. It's not mid-July already?! :mad:

OMG, you only have 3 wks left!

28. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 18, 2015

I am starting my 4th week of summer school this week (we go for 5 weeks this year) and we will be done next Thursday July 30th and then my summer will really begin!!!

I have enjoyed the summer paychecks, which included my raise and the days do go by quickly because we are out at 1pm but the best part is having Fridays off and having 3 day weekends, every weekend.

Anyway, I am reallllllllly looking forward to having the month of August off.....since we don't go back until September this year:)

29. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 18, 2015

I just got back from spending a week at NASA with 8 other wonderful ladies, and one wonderful gentleman. It was so amazing! I worked much longer each day than I usually do at school, but it was so worth it! Right now I feel both energized (by the new ideas) and exhausted (because of the long hours.) I can't wait to use some of the new ideas.

30. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2015

We broke up on Friday (17th) for 7 weeks! Yay! Yesterday was spent sorting out the gardens (yards) front and back. However this resulted in a bit too much sun so today I shall be covering up, although looking out of the window I don't think we shall get much sun today.

On Friday I had to take the school minivan into the garage (shop) for a repair and so I shall have to pick that up and take it back into school once it is fixed.

Tuesday our youngest grand daughter (4) is coming to stay for a week (she lives about 100 miles away so we don't see her as often as we would like) so we are planning loads of stuff to do with her and our other (local) grand daughter. Once she goes back to her parents Mrs Blazer wants me to lay a tiled floor in the kitchen extension. That done we then have a Mediterranean cruise planned followed by a family party at home to celebrate mother in law's 80th birthday. I shall be glad to go back to work for a rest!

31. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 19, 2015

I've been getting my classroom ready and painting like crazy... I primed the room, then painted.... then was told I had to re-paint because it wasn't glossy enough... arugh...

Finally got my class furniture and moved in my stuff on Thursday/Friday. It's exciting because it's staring to feel like mine, but at the same time I am still FREAKING out. 2 weeks till we start, yikes!

32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 19, 2015

I'm in Hungary :) I've been here for almost a week and have a little less than 2 weeks left. Brought my daughter, she's 17, and this is her 3rd time here. So far we visited the Parliament in Budapest, the Buda Castle and other famous buildings and churches, most 800 years old. I'm in my home town now, but will visit the mountains and a few caves and thermal baths (they're also under ground).
    Hungary is very famous for its thermal baths. My knees started to hurt from all the walking, a few hours in one of the baths (hot, yellow from all the minerals) fixed it.
    You can also find incredible history, 800 years old castles, 5-600 year old churches and buildings, etc.
    And of course I get to see my parents and a few high school classmates.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2015

Sounds perfect! Enjoy!

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2015

I moved to a new classroom and I have been working to get it straight. I am finally satisfied and I will take a few days off. I am very pleased with my room and now time to start planning the lessons. We go back on the 5th, so not much time left before we begin.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2015

Today was one of the very few HOT days. Hopefully the rest of the month doesn't follow. :mad:

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2015

This made me smile. When our kids were little, they would spend a week each summer with my parents, Grandma and Papa,. They, the kids and my parents, loved it!

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2015

It's raining pretty good out there now. This area doesn't really have this kind of weather change in a 24-hr period.

38. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 19, 2015

I have nine more days of summer school... but then August is completely free! I'm tutoring an hour per day, but eh, that's nothing.

39. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 19, 2015

Yes, we had an incredibly hot day today..so humid..i stayed in doors in the air conditioning:thumb:

We are expecting showers now, hopefully it will cool things down for tomorrow.

Just need to get through the last 8 sessions of summer school in the next 2 weeks-----------then sweet freedom:p

40. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 20, 2015

So... it's 6am here in Central California... almost 80 degrees and 67% humidity... :eek:hmy:

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 20, 2015

I had a 2 weeks off after graduation so I went a way for a few days and it rained most of the time! Now I'm in summer school until August 25th. Maybe my husband and I can go away again before school starts in September but I hate leaving my doggy behind :( I'd rather stay home and play with him LOL