How important is volunteer work in the field of education?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by myownwoman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 24, 2010

Hello all, I will be starting an internship at a child development center next week. That will only be part of the day though. So I am thinking to occupy the rest of the day, I will be applying for volunteer positions at other schools to gain experience and network.

My question is how important is volunteer work in applying for full time teaching jobs? It does not matter what grade level it is.

Thank you all!:hugs:

Have a wonderful weekend.

3. courtneym0206

courtneym0206 Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

A volunteer work within the field of your profession will contribute on your working skills in the future. You can add it up to your resume and the experience will be one of the things you can talk about on your future interview for a full time position. You can tell them what are the things you learned from the experience you had during the volunteer work.

Have a great weekend!

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 24, 2010

I'm an AmeriCorps volunteer right now working in a 3rd grade classroom. I also teach an afterschool program. It has been the most wildy stressful and disorganized mess I have EVER gotten myself into, but I don't regret it for a second. I have learned sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much about:

1. Myself
    2. Students
    3. Teaching
    4. School Politics
    5. Relationship Building
    6. Resources/Development

...and so much else. I just accepted a teacher residency offer that I know I wouln't have gotten without my volunteer position. I relied so heavily on my experiences during their interview.

The big downfall is that you're not getting paid, but there's also less responsibility placed on you as an educator. I've been really excited to work not just with teachers but school psychologists, admin, social workers, non-profit people, etc. I get to try on many hats and just enjoy myself and the kids. The kids are the best.

:wub:

5. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

Although I don't have a teaching job yet, I do volunteer with kids as a mentor at an elementary school. It really frosted my resume in terms of having related experience - looks like it's going to help you out as well!

6. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

Nearly half of my two page resume is volunteer work. It really helped me get the job I just landed for next year. The school was looking for an organizer and self-starter, and the leadership roles I took on in my church and community showed them that that's who I was. So yes, it helps!

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 25, 2010

I volunteer with my little league (as a head coach), church (as a religious ed teacher), and with Make a Wish foundation. I do it because I love children and want to help in any way I can! It takes up a lot of my time but I don't resent that because I truly love being with them. So, yes volunteering helps because I think you will come across as someone who is not going into teaching for the wrong reasons, you actually want to be in the classroom with the children. (And would even do it without the pay!!!)

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 25, 2010

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses. Like many of you have said, working as a volunteer will benefit you and your community in so many ways. In addition to my internship, I am thinking of teaching kids science in one of the science institutes or working as a tutor. We do gain numerous skills that employers look for and it does look really nice on your resume!