How has your school handled coronavirus?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, May 21, 2020 at 8:02 AM.

?

How would you rate your administration’s handling of the last part of the school year?

1. 4 - best

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. 3

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. 2

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. 1 - worst

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 21, 2020 at 8:02 AM

On a scale of 1-4, 1 being terrible and 4 being ideal, how would you rate your administration’s handling of the last part of the school year with the coronavirus shutdown?

Explain or only leave a number, your choice.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 21, 2020 at 8:05 AM

I’m voting 2.

We’ve impressed upon students the importance of getting work done. Most actually are working and learning still. We’re grading as usual, which I view as a plus and a minus.

We’ve shown little compassion for family situations or students’ wellbeing on a school level, however, and most policies have been last minute quick calls rather than proactive and well thought out decisions. Teachers have been very stressed by the lack of clear information and organization.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2020 at 8:33 AM

I voted 4. While I have a lot of frustrations around this whole thing, none of them are because of the admin team at my school. They are being stellar about trying to come up with plans to deal with pronouncements that are being made at the governmental level. They share information as soon as it is available through emails and phone calls and have open office hours on Google Meet every morning so that we can pop in with questions or just to say "hi". They help with reaching out to students and families and have spearheaded the videos we have sent to families with messages from the staff. They have been our biggest cheerleaders as we have adjusted to constantly changing expectations.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  5. VelveetaFog

VelveetaFog New Member

May 21, 2020 at 8:42 AM

2.5-3
    I was actually impressed with what the district and union leadership accomplished in what now sees like nanoseconds to shut the district down so quickly.
    But, now it feels like information is slow to come forward on plans (or even a heads up) for next year... which is still so gray.
    Parent surveys for feedback on distance learning and to see if families will be homeschooling/at independent study went out without looping in teachers. Teachers are antsy, concerned, tired, stressed, and, in some cases, resistant to embracing technology. Clear communication from top to bottom is inconsistent. Messaging from leadership sounds different at Elem/MS. I can only imagine how immense planning for next year is at the top when one of my concerns is "do I have to disinfect all the base-ten blocks"?

6. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 21, 2020 at 8:49 AM

This is about where my school/district is at too. Our governor was the first (or one of) to shut down schools for the rest of the school year, which happened over spring break. The state and district had a continuous learning plan and guidelines developed within a week and a half, and I think we only ended up missing 2 weeks after spring break before instruction started back up. We managed to get a lot prepped in very little time. My district had to distribute devices and mobile hot spots, plus prep learning packets for families who didn't have (and weren't going to get) internet, and teachers had to contact parents to get login info to their kids.

What next year will look like is a complete fog right now, but I am actually very impressed with how my district handled the shut down, all things considered. On top of Coronavirus concerns, my school boundaries are (FINALLY) being redone and we are losing 200 kids and 9 teachers next year. We need it; the building capacity is like 550-600 and we've been at 720-750 for the past 4 years I've been there. Unfortunately it also means that no one knows for sure whether they're staying or transferring, which kids are leaving, or what we're teaching next year. We're waiting on the demographers and that could be all summer.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 21, 2020 at 9:34 AM

I only put a 3 because I feel like our district needs to be quicker about letting us know what to expect for next school year, and then providing professional development opportunities this summer for us to catch up on any skills we need to deal with whatever is coming.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2020 at 9:44 AM

Now, if it had been a question on how I felt that the provincial government has handled decisions and the communication of those decisions, I would vote a 1 (only because that's the lowest on your poll).

otterpop likes this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 21, 2020 at 10:50 AM

Haha. Probably the same for me. Our governor basically said “schools are closed” but everything else was for the schools to figure out. My state’s overall response has been very good, but education has been and is always a cast aside issue.

MrsC likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM

My school has some changes happening too and that’s part of the organizational challenges I was mentioning. Our decisions are all admin based, so we’re not waiting on outside information, but I don’t think our administration understands how unsettled it makes people to wait to hear information like that. The worst thing is, they totally know what they’ll be doing. They’re just not transparent with that information.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 1:50 PM
  11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM

I voted a 4. I feel that my district has done a great job, given the circumstances. Sure, I would have liked to have known certain plans sooner, but this really wasn't a predictable situation, nor was it one that they've had experience preparing for in the past. They've been providing regular status updates at all levels, and they've been working hard to keep certain things on schedule (like contracts for next year) and to adjust other things (like graduation and summer school). I think they've had extremely reasonable expectations for students, families, and teachers - at least in my grade-span. They've offered a lot of flexibility in terms of how much time we spend on work, when we do our work, and how we do our work. There are guidelines and a few requirements, but a lot of things are left to teachers' individual discretion. Families have been given a lot of flexibility as well, and technology and other supports were made available to those who needed it.

As far as next year goes, my district has only told us that they are working with public health officials and creating three plans that will be contingent upon the status of situation at the time. To me, this is enough. Of course I'd love to know right now what August will look like, as we all would. But I don't think that's reasonable. No one knows what the status of the pandemic will be in three months. I'm glad that my district is preparing for a variety of situations, and I trust that they will share the details when they have them ready and when a decision is able to made. I also know that, even when they make a decision, it's possible that we'll have to continue adapting as things change. This virus is outside of anyone's control right now, and everyone is doing the best that they can.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 21, 2020 at 3:40 PM

I said a 3, but probably really 2.5. My district did a lot of work up front to roll out the online learning piece and make sure there were consistent expectations and training. However, we were given 2 school days to prepare. Technically 4, because they rolled it out on Friday evening, but only 2 work days. Thankfully I had nowhere else to go anyway because I worked about 12-14 hours all 4 of those days. Other nearby districts gave their teachers a week or more to prepare. However, they did really think through everything and a lot of issues were problem solved before we started. For example, they purchased an app for us to use from our computer or cell phones so that we could call parents and block our personal numbers, and it would show up as "_______ schools" on caller ID. It also had a "do not disturb" function so that parents didn't have access to calling/texting at all hours. They also made our time pretty flexible- there were only 90 minutes per day that we specifically had to be in front of our computers at a set time. Otherwise we could get the work done on our own schedule, which helped people who had other family responsibilities during this time.

As far as next year, I agree with Bella that is way too early to make a decision. I too would love to know what we're doing in August, but really, nobody knows. There are some nearby districts that have already announced they are doing hybrid models. I would bet that's what we'll all end up doing, but a whole lot could change in almost 3 months. What if they say that now and the virus actually isn't nearly as much of a threat in August? Or what if things are worse, and it doesn't seem safe to send kids into buildings at all? We just don't know at this point.

That said, I would still appreciate more communication from my district. I know they are developing different "scenarios." If the virus does ______, then we will do ________. It also of course depends on what sort of restrictions are still happening from the governor/at the state or county level. Right now, there is a limit on gatherings of more than 10 people, so for any EOY stuff they made sure there were less than 10 in the building. It's likely that restriction won't be the same in August. That makes sense, but why aren't they sharing those scenarios with us? I'd like to see what all of the options are and possibly have a better idea about what's coming as the summer goes on.

13. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

May 21, 2020 at 3:52 PM

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 21, 2020 at 4:44 PM

3.5 for district

My small rural district did a good job of getting work out and the materials to do so...Illinois has been a very tough place in terms of lockdowns and the like. The meal program went very well all told.

I'm not super happy with the way the State of Illinois has responded in terms of education, but it's certainly not the district's fault.