How hard is the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests (Praxis Core)?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by thesub, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Feb 24, 2016

In Tennessee, for admission to the University's transitional licensure program, you can take ONE of several tests - either of the 3 Praxis core, GRE, etc. I'm taking the Praxis Reading core test and will need a 156. I tend to do well on reading comprehension and hope that holds.

As I study different guides, I tend to get the questions right and I paid $19.95 for the "sample Praxis Test" from ETS. Just took it and got 45 of 56 questions right. While 80 percent sounds decent enough (and I think if I'd taken the test "fresh" and not after a full day of work, taking the kids to martial arts, etc., I might have done a tad better) but it is so hard to know for sure since you don't know how they are weighted.

Still, I feel OK going in to Saturday's exam.

2. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Feb 24, 2016

Your test will most likely include 6 field test questions (questions which don't count for or against you).

Therefore, your grade should be out of 50 questions.

According to this website, you would only need a raw score of 31 out of 50 to receive the minimum passing scaled score of 156. Check page 2 of the PDF.
    http://www.nj.gov/education/sboe/meetings/2013/July/public/Technical Report_Praxis CASE (5712 5722 5732)_February 2013.pdf

Granted, this is an average (and is from 2013), but more or less this is where you should score to pass.

I'd say you stand a very good chance at passing your Praxis Core reading exam. I've always found that study guides tend to have more difficult questions than those of actual exams. Also, the fact you have purchased the practice test from ETS will truly help you. You should be fine and you may walk out of your exam thinking it was easier than you expected.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Clay Morgan likes this.
  3. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Feb 24, 2016

http://teachered.education.uconn.edu/programs/ibm/current-students/praxis/

TG, I wonder if you might have some insight on this.

"Computer-Based Tests:

Passing scores are required on each of the three discrete tests:

• Praxis Core Reading (Test #5712; Passing Score = 156*)
    • Praxis Core Writing (Test #5722; Passing Score = 162*)
    • Praxis Core Mathematics (Test #5732; Passing Score = 150)
    * Score will be changing effective 9/1/2017. The new score for the Core Reading test will be 166 beginning 9/1/2017. The new score for the Core Writing test will be 170 beginning 9/1/2017."

Do you think this is something just with the state of Connecticut or something more along the lines of being on the national level?

I know states set their own passing scores, but generally the minimum passing scores are pretty consistent throughout the Praxis Core states, with the exception of a few being higher/lower.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Feb 26, 2016

Received my score reports today for the Core reading and math exams

Reading

Key Ideas & Details
    Raw points earned: 18
    Raw points available: 20

Craft, Structure, & Language Skills
    Raw points earned: 11
    Raw points available: 14

Integration of Knowledge & Ideas
    Raw points earned: 15
    Raw points available: 16

Total raw points earned: 44
    Total raw points available: 50

6 field test questions

Total scaled score: 190

Mathematics

Number and Quantity
    Raw points earned: 13
    Raw points available: 16

Algebra & Functions
    Raw points earned: 7
    Raw points available: 15

Geometry
    Raw points earned: 5
    Raw points available: 9

Statistics & Probability
    Raw points earned: 8
    Raw points available: 10

Total raw points earned: 33
    Total raw points available: 50

6 field test questions

Total scaled score: 162

Wish I had done a bit better with respect to geometry and algebra, but, in the end, I am just glad I passed. As I said in a previous post, I found Number & Quantity and Statistics & Probability to be the easiest sections. If you can do very well in 2 sections, you can afford to score "meh" in the others.

I took my Core writing skills exam today. I didn't think it was bad...I honestly felt good after leaving it. I was able to put together two 5 paragraph essays, which took me right down to the final seconds to complete. I spent about 2-3 minutes making outlines and then just typed away. The final 2-3 minutes were spent proofreading. I will update when I receive my scores in the next 1-2 weeks.

Just glad Praxis Core and my Praxis II Content Knowledge exams are out of the way. I start my program for certification and M.Ed in 2 weeks. Definitely feeling like I cleared a big hurdle.

Best of luck to those still taking exams and for those of you who have to re-take any, don't get discouraged. You will get there.

5. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 4, 2016

Received my score report today for Praxis Core Writing Skills

Multiple Choice Section

Raw Points Earned: 28
    Raw Points Available: 34

6 field test questions

Essays

Raw Points Earned: 19
    Raw Points Available: 24

Total Scaled Score from the combination of the 2 sections: 184

Core exams and Praxis II biology are all done. Amen. I will be having a drink or two this weekend.

Just have to take Praxis PLT for secondary educators at some point before finishing my program.

Best of luck to everyone. Thanks for the input from those on this thread.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2016

Congratulations, RSA1984!

7. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 5, 2016

Thank you, TG. I appreciate all of your advice throughout the various threads. You've been greatly helpful.

8. Pippa

Pippa Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Does anyone knows what's the minimum and maximum score for the praxis core math, reading and writing? I know how much I need to know to pass the exams, but I don't have any idea if it's a high score or not.

Also in the math test can we use the calculator for all of the questions?

Thanks

9. Pippa

Pippa Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

I will really appreciate if you can post the formulas you believe are important to study. I am preparing for the Math test and I am terrible with Math. Thanks

10. Pippa

Pippa Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Were you able to access the online one already? Where i am living they don't have the book and it's hard to get it by mail, so online will be my only option...
    Thanks

11. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Your minimum passing score depends on which state you are testing in or hoping to teach in someday. However, for the most part, it seems that a minimum passing scaled score for the math section is a 150.
    Your test will contain 56 questions, but most likely, 6 of those questions will not count (whether you get them right or wrong). In reality, you will most likely be getting scored on 50 questions. Of those 50 questions, ON AVERAGE (all tests are different), you will have to get 29 out of 50 questions correct to meet the minimum scaled score of 150.

For reading, for the most part, it seems the minimum passing scaled score is 156. On average, from studies I have read and various postings here, you will need to score 31/50 to achieve this minimum score (6 questions out of the 56 most likely will not count).

Writing: you will have 40 multiple choice questions, 6 most likely will not count. I honestly can't tell you how many you have to get right in order to minimally pass, but I scored 28/34 on my multiple choice. You will then have to complete two 30 minute time limited essays, each is worth a maximum of 12 points. I scored 19/24 on the essays. My essay score and my multiple choice scores were then added together and put through some formula or algorithm and it produced a scaled score of 184. It would seem that most states require a minimum passing score of 162.

Again, these are just averages and notes I have read from studies within the last few years. Please remember that every test is different. So while you may need to score a 29/50 to minimally pass the math section, there is always a chance you will receive an "easy" version of the exam, and the minimum raw score you will need to achieve might be higher than a 29. This can also work the opposite way when receiving a "harder" version the exam....You may only have to score a 27/50.

ETS states that no matter which version of the test you receive, if you scored a scaled score of 175 on a hard version, you would then score 175 on an easier version.

Please take the time to fish through some threads because I am sure the answers you are looking for are here somewhere...It helps to read through sometimes because you might find yourself waiting hours and hours for someone to respond to your questions.

PS
    You are NOT allowed to bring a calculator to the math exam. However, they do provide an on screen calculator for you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2016

Scaled scores range from 100 to 200 on most Praxis tests and subtests - so the 150 that RSA1984 cites is midway between 100 and 200, not 3/4 of the way between 0 and 200.

It's fairly rare that calculators are permitted on basic skills tests.

13. Pippa

Pippa Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Thank you so much...I am a bit scared as English is not my first language.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2016

That certainly hasn't been obvious in your posts. If your username is a clue to your first language, you can probably relax. Try looking up "five paragraph essay format" either here in this forum or elsewhere online.

15. Pippa

Pippa Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

Thank you :)

16. Kristine

Kristine New Member

Mar 28, 2016

Hi good day, I just want you to congratulate by passing the 5025 preschool exam. May I ask questions? What reviewer would you recommend for me to pass the 5025? Did you take the 5025 by paper-pencil or online? This October 2016 I will be taking 5025 and I am so nervous and everything. Please give also some tips. Thank you

17. randykirksey

randykirksey Guest

Mar 29, 2016

I took the Core exam yesterday. I had been told it had been changed and was more difficult. Found this to be true. During my writing test I had just finished reading the instructions for the second essay and clicked on continue to begin reading the passages and was abruptly thrown out of the test and the screen said finished. The proctor didn't have a clue as to what happened and was no help. I have informed ETS but haven't gotten a response yet. Has this happened to anyone else in the past and does anyone know the possibility of passing the writing test without the second essay being completed?

18. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

Hi Kristine,
    I would recommend the following texts to be of help in your preparation for Praxis Core Math exam:

1) Praxis Core for Dummies (1st Edition)
    http://www.amazon.com/Praxis-Dummie...90267&sr=8-1&keywords=Praxis+Core+for+Dummies

and/or

2) Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day (5th Edition)
    http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Mat...ds=practical+math+success+in+20+minutes+a+day

I used both texts when preparing for my Core Math test and I found both to be of use.
    The "Dummies" book is tailored directly to the exam, but I also thought the "Practical Math Success" text was a bit easier to understand when explaining some concepts.

I took my test in January 2016 on the computer.

If you have any other questions regarding this, please feel free to ask away.

Just give yourself enough time to prepare, do practice problems, and you should do a fine job.

Best of luck.

19. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

Hi randykirksey,

That definitely seems to be an odd occurrence. Did you contact ETS by telephone? If not, perhaps you may get an answer more quickly.

I would say that someone could have a shot at passing the exam, even while scoring a 0 on one essay. They would just have to achieve a good raw scores on the multiple choice section and the first essay. All hope isn't lost. Usually with these Core tests, if you do very well in one area of the exam, you can do a bit sub-par in another.

Should you need to re-take, hopefully ETS can help you find out what caused this glitch and administer you a new exam, free of charge.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2016

Hugs, randykirksey. Is it at all possible that you simply ran out of time? If not, this sounds like a bona-fide case of testing irregularity. One up side of computer-based testing is that, if something goes wonky with the equipment, it should be possible for ETS to trace it after the fact. If you haven't already reported that there was a problem, please do so immediately.

21. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 30, 2016

I didn't even give that possibility a thought, TG. Do you think when a test is submitted to ETS that it also keeps record of the time left on the clock? That will definitely be a big help in randy's investigation. But shouldn't the option to submit the scores for credit have also popped up? Something isn't right here.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2016

I don't know that ETS intentionally keeps a record, but it should be possible to recover some such thing from the computer that randy used. I hope randy has already reported this, because it does sound decidedly odd. And I hope randy is reconstructing everything possible about what happened and where (including, if possible, identifying the computer that randy was assigned to) and when, as exactly as possible.

23. Mlb21919

Mlb21919 New Member

Apr 16, 2016

I'm getting very disappointed with myself. I have passed allot my exams for my duel degree. But the common core math is killing me. I studied for all of them and my scores go from 142, 121,148, and today 118. I need 150 any thoughts

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2016

Hugs, mlb21919. What do your score reports suggest about where you're coming up short, and what have you been doing to study?

25. Mlb21919

Mlb21919 New Member

Apr 17, 2016

It changes I know I stink at geometry but the other 3 categories differ on each test. I have I think every book under the sun for this test. Barron's EZ Math , REA Praxis Core, Learning Express complete test preparation praxis core academic skills for educators . Barron's core Praxis. I almost think I don't know how to study the right or best way. and thank you for my hug :) I needed that

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2016

Sounds like what you really need is someone to help you understand how math works. Online videos in which you can watch someone working a problem, and discussing why one might choose to execute which move when, might be helpful; many people like Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org), which started out as a YouTube channel, though that's far from the only choice. The explanations on Math Is Fun (www.mathsisfun.com) aren't animated-and-zippy but they're very good.

27. Anich

Anich Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

Does anybody know if there is any classes to attend somewhere in order to get prepare for this test? I don't feel quite well preparing myself for a math test. I took math more than 20 years ago. My intention is to be a Spanish Teacher. I am not going to teach math, why do I have to take this test?
    Are the problems and questions in the test similar to the ones in the practice book?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2016

Anich, you might try checking out the suggestions I made to Mlb21919.

29. Mr.w247

Mr.w247 Guest

May 31, 2016

I know this is an older thread but it has been very helpful. I am currently going to take the praxis core series for the first time. I took the one before it was the core and missed by a few points.I have had two teaching opportunities slip through my hands because the schools required a 614 due to the schools status.. I am a Music Ed major and struggled with why it was necessary to pay for an overpriced test. I did find some possible usefulness when I was tutoring as a tech I felt very shaky in certain subjects such as geometry and algebra. It is good to know these forgotten skills.... So that's a positive :)The problem I have is trying to find a way to zero in on what matters most for studying. I have purchased teachers test prep and it is ok but kind of broad for me. If you can afford it I would try IXL math they use it at the school i work at. You can do problem after problem after problem. I currently teach music for a 21st century grant program but that has its pros and cons. I want to teach k-6 General music in public school and will not stop until I do. I believe very strongly that somebody is getting rich of these overpriced tests and can't wait to put them behind me...I wish everyone who is struggling the best of luck!! It is a bit of a task with kids,daily life ups and downs,job obligations and studying but You WILL become teachers.

30. Georgiauna Stalling

Georgiauna Stalling Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

Hi
    I just wanted to say that I passed my Praxis exam on the first try even though I was really ill. I actually didn't really prep. I just took my time and tried to answer each portion as best as I could.
    I received a 150 on math (I'm not a math person and I was sick as a dog) which is passing. I received a 174 on the writing portion (which I admittedly kinda rushed because I was so drained by that point) which is passing. I required a 162 to pass. I also scored 188 in the reading portion which I needed a 156.
    Overall the exam was super simple. Some of the math questions were embarassingly simple. I just didn't score as well as the other sections because I was ill and I didn't brush up on my geometry formulas. The formulas were actually really simple but you have to know them and I did not lol.

I'm pretty good with grammar and writing which is why I did so well in the other portions despite not preparing and being sick.
    My advice is not syke yourself out. I think if you worry too much you'll get test anxiety and over think things or rush through. There's actually plenty of time if you relax and do your best. Obviously prep if it makes you feel better or you forgot basic geometry.

31. shiva

shiva Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

Am Happy for all those passed the praxis core MATH,Reading and Writing. I have passed the MATH and READING . But am very disappointed and frustrated about the WRITING.I attempted and failed thrice in English writing. I got 134, 137, 150 in Writing. Any thoughts or guidance would be of much helpful for me.

32. Georgiauna Stalling

Aug 22, 2016

Wel
    Well do you consider writing to developing essays and strong point or a weak point because that matters.
    If you are normally a good writer, it may boil down to following directions and making sure you're answering what they want from you.
    If that isn't the case, it would be wise to practice writing.
    Introduction:
    Opening statment
    Thesis (what the essay Will talk about)

Body paragraph(s)
    Supporting info or details and facts about what you stated in your thesis statement

Closing paragraph
    More supporting info (sentence or two)
    Restating what you talked about (basically rephrase the thesis)
    And then a closing statement.

Using this organization and making sure to proofead for confusing wording or poor grammatical use is also important.

Don't stress yourself over a "bad topic". Just answer the question. It does not have to be an award winning statement or a ground breaking take on the stance. Keep it simple if you need to rather than taking a risk.

In regards to the research essay. Again answer what they ask you. Use the format above but support your reasoning and thesis by citing the passages they give you. For instance, "It is important that society understands that the best option is not always the most ideal (Author's last name year of publication)" would be a simple yet effective example of including the research.
    In the research paper, you can choose an opinion and support it with info from the passages. Or you can give both sides of the argument with supporting citations from the passages.

33. shiva

shiva Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

Thank you Stalling for tips. I know where I am loosing the marks is in the essay bcos I have no time to key-in my thoughts within 30 minutes. I can plan and put my thoughts to writing in 30 mins. But it takes a lot of time to key-in. Is they any possibility to extend the time duration for candidates for whom primary language is not English or for candidates from non-English speaking countries.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2016

35. Georgiauna Stalling

Aug 22, 2016

Oh wow. That's a really important detail. You should call them and tell them that. They do have accommodations for certain things and I don't see why that wouldn't be included. It isn't fair if English is not your first language. You should be given extra time or a choice to complete the exam in your native language.

36. shiva

shiva Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

Thank you for the information . am working on that . Can u pls let me know how the scaling is done i.e conversion of raw points earned to actual scores. For Example My English scores are

Raw points earned Raw Points available Average Performance Range
    Multiple choice 17 34 16-23
    Essay 11 24 12-16​

My actual score is 150.

37. Georgiauna Stalling

Aug 22, 2016

Hi there
    Unfortunately I don't have much information for you there. I've only taken the exam once, so it's a little hard for me to zero in on how exactly they convert raw scores. I am under the impression that the essay is worth more.

My raw score for my essays were 17 out of 24. And my raw score for the multiple choice was 24 out of 34. This equals a score of 174.
    According to infomation provided in my score report, the average score for the multiple choice is between 19 and 26. And the average score for the essay portion is anywhere between 12 and 16.

It does sound like you really have to improve your performance in the essay question portion of the exam which could honestly be fixed by accomodating your language needs. English is complicated and confusing and this portion is mainly focused on superior knowledge and integration of grammatical skills and word choice. Hopefully you can get the assistance you need.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2016

A raw score is either the number of multiple choice questions answered correctly (that's Georgiauna Stalling's 24 points) or, for a Praxis constructed response, the average number of points awarded by each scorer. (If Georgiauna's test had four constructed responses, each constructed response could be awarded up to six points; if scorer A awarded Georgiauna 4 points on one essay and scorer B awarded 5 points, the raw score for that essay would be 4.5.)

The scaling of scores reflects one universal reality: that it's extremely difficult to write even two selected-response questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty, let alone a whole test's worth. For tests that combine selected-response and constructed-response questions, scaling also makes it possible to weight the results properly - 70% to 30% is pretty common - without requiring scorers, at least some of whom are human, to grade on a weirdly non-intuitive scale. Scaling also makes it possible to compare scores from different versions of the same test.

39. Georgiauna Stalling

Aug 22, 2016

I don't agree. The score of 24 came from the two constructed response essay questions. The other score specifically came from the mutiple choice portion.

Also the Praxis is not scaled 1 through 5. I think you're referring to the scaling of the GRE.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2016

I was explaining how raw scores vs. scaled scores work. The results that you reported were at hand; I haven't committed each Praxis test and its attributes to memory. You wrote, "And my raw score for the multiple choice was 24 out of 34."

As to the number of raw points for constructed response, I was guessing based on the total number of points (24) that your reported. Praxis over the last two decades has used raw scores from 0 to 3, from 0 to 4, or from 0 to 6; other ranges are certainly possible.

For my explanation to make the points I sought to make, the specific numbers are illustrative but not important.