How hard is it to find a teaching job in Florida?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Katekat, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Katekat

Katekat Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I’m still in college, so I won’t be searching for a job for a while, but I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to find a job in Central Florida. I’m hoping to find a job in Volusia or Seminole county but would move if necessary. From the posts it sounds like many people have to sub for a while before they get a job, which I would be fine with, but I’m still curious as to what to expect.

3. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 1, 2007

MATgrad just got a job this week, and i believe is from FL. Sounds like there are availabilities.

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 1, 2007

I'm on the west coast of Florida. It is becoming increasingly difficult for first year teachers to get positions. Populations are declining and we will have some school closings this year in some counties.

Join every single honor society that you can!! Can you sub while your in school? My principal said that impressed him most about me. It showed that I could balance. Also every single referene I have is from subbing. That's how I got three principals refrences. A principal's reference is worth a lot more than a teacher's reference in an admin's eyes.

One of my references was telling me that it used to be ten apps for every vacancy now it's more like 50-60. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

I applied in central FL and had TONS of phone calls. I went through many interviews, but, unfortunately, the majority of people wanted me to come down in person and I was unable to do so. Volusia County had lots of openings and they have a job fair in May where they do a lot of hiring. I didn't find a lot of jobs in Seminole. Orange, Osceola, Polk and Lake Counties all had a LOT of positions. I don't think you would have too hard of a time since you are already there. Some people have had difficulty, but I, personally, found many open positions! And, if you can visit schools personally in April/May and hand out resumes, I'm sure you'd be OK!

6. Katekat

Katekat Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

That's wonderful news thanks. :) I think I'll look into subbing while in school like MATgrad suggested but I'm glad to hear you didn't have to much trouble job searching in Volusia county. I'll make sure and check out that job fair when I'm ready to start my job search.

7. Shontasue1

Shontasue1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

Hey Katekat if your worried at all don't be. I am a career changer although I have taught before and I was hired 1 week before pre-planning so if you are coming to Florida you'll find a job, there are actually still jobs available now and we are into the 3rd week of school. Here's a tip the later part of July is awsome for job seeking even if you miss the job fairs. If you are not in town I would plan a trip so that you are here for interviews. Good Luck