how hard is it to find a job teaching art?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by amethyst, Oct 20, 2009.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Oct 20, 2009

I'm currently in an Art Therapy program, but might consider a switch to art education, but I'm wondering if it would be impossible to find a job teaching art. I know it's incredibly difficult to find a regular teaching job in NJ, where I live.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

Markets differ from place to place. The only way to really know is to put your application in to places that have art positions available. Each school system advertises the certified positions they have available so you can narrow your search that way if you have specific districts you want to target. With ease or with difficulty, all depends on some random circumstances in my opinion.

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

I think we have a lot more competition to beat to get hired b/c there aren't as many of us in a building. It doesnt' mean it isn't impossible...I got lucky and got hired right out of college, but I know people that have searched for years. It all depends if you have what the district is looking for.

5. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 21, 2009

I went to a job fair while in college and I heard horror stories from a woman that was trying to get an art teaching job for multiple years and was settling on jobs that were out in the boonies or a very 'part-time' position.

None of what she ran into applied to me however. Every district is different and I too was lucky enough to get a job right out of college. You just have to make yourself presentable, do your research of the district, and be prepared.

6. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Oct 22, 2009

It's dang near impossible. Good Luck! :)

I wanted to be an art teacher, but choose social studies because it was a quicker program. I'm glad I did bc ss jobs are just "almost" dang near impossible to find. ;)

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

Again, it totally depends on the area. Where I live, the market is competitive, but there are still lots of jobs. In one of my local districts there were over 10 openings for art teachers!! Now, most were part-time (like one or two periods a day), and they hired one person to cover two or three schools.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

I currently teach 5th here in Arizona. However, I am working on my art endorsement because I would love to teach art. I know it's not easy though. I just relocated from California and it's tough there as well. I feel that I need to beef up my own art skills too...it's been awhile and I need an updated portfolio. Are there any Arizona art teachers out there? Just curious. :)

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 14, 2009

In my area we don't have art teachers.I have not heard of that in a long time. I don't even think there were art teachers when I was in elem. (10-15yrs ago)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2009

The tri-state area is brutal for anything in education.

Art education is particularly difficult for a few reasons. First, as someone has already mentioned, and entire school may have only one art teacher. My high school of 2,500 kids has two, since not every grade takes art.

Secondly, when there are cuts to be made (translation: in a rough economy like this one) the arts are inevitably first to go. I'm not saying it's right, simply that art tends to be under-represented on state tests and as a result it's seen as "not as important."

Does your art therapy program give you enough credits for a Special Ed minor? Could you possibly get dual certification?

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

I know that in California, as well as Arizona, High school students are required to take at least one year of Visual Arts...which helps...a little. :unsure:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2009

Right. But those same kids will take 4 years of math and 4 years of English and 4 years of history and 4 years of Phys Ed....

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

Now you know why Art Educators get frustrated. It's tiresome to not be taken seriously, or seen as a "frill" subject. Teaching art is hard work...a lot of hard work. I know you are pro arts Alice, but not all are. Still, my feeling is....if that's your passion...pursue it....and that job will find you. (gee, I need to listen to my own advice):whistle:

14. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Nov 15, 2009

Careful if you get a special ed endorsement you may be stuck with that forever!

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 15, 2009

What do you mean?

16. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Nov 15, 2009

What I mean is...I have found, especially in my district, that if you get a special ed endorsement- that is all you will ever be able to get a job teaching...

17. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 15, 2009

Yep, that's been my biggest reservation on getting extra endorsements. Sure it makes you more marketable but then again a district can put you where ever you are qualified to be whenever they feel like it. I want to teach art, and simply that.

I think networking is probably going to be your best strategy. I just came back from the Mississippi Art Education Association Fall Conference; Renewing the Artist in You. I met several people. I was able to reacquaint with some that I haven't seen in a while AND I was given information by an art teacher that openings would be available at schools in her district in an area where I definitely want to move plus she offered me a reference.

My suggestion, join a professional organization. It helps.

18. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 16, 2009

I wouldn't mind teaching art at all, so I wouldn't see myself as being "stuck" there...but I see your point if you have a lot of endorsements. Securis I agree, I used to be a member of the NAEA and I need to join again. (National Art Education Association).

19. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Nov 16, 2009

I also just got back from my OAEA (Ohio Art Education Association) conference! It felt great to be around other art teachers who are as dedicated as me..and to remind myself of the skills I know I have. I've lost in a mess of inner city discipline problems I've forgotten at times what it is I want to be teaching.

Definately join your state association and the national one. On my bucket list is to get to the National Art Conference! I think it would be an amazing experience! Overwhelming and busy..but amazing all the same!

and just as an fyi for people that don't know..at certain highschools that have AP Art courses, they are required to take standardized art tests as well.

But it is society that controls what happens in schools. I know if I had kids, I wouldn't send them to a district that did not support their arts and have it as a core developmental program for it's students. If they don't have it..then they've got their priorities mixed up.

I'm done before I get going again! haha

20. mtiroly

mtiroly Rookie

Nov 28, 2009

This thread is a couple weeks old, but I'll put my two cents in anyway.

I'm one of those who has had difficult times finding a teaching position since finishing my art ed. program. Some of that is circumstantial I believe, as we have moved around the last couple years for my husband's professional endeavors, and I got my license just as the recession was getting going. (Bad timing!) Several districts here in Colorado laid off all probationary teachers at the end of last year, in an attempt to cut costs. That did not help.

Being in this situation, I have found that it is most important to consider what you are willing to fight for. Is it art? or teaching art? or is it just education in general. I think art ed. jobs are tough to come by these days (even more so than music), but if you are willing to fight for it, you'll make it work.