How fast do you introdue letters in Kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Sep 19, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 19, 2009

How fast do you go introducing the alphabet letters? Do you start with capital or lowercase first or do you do them together? Do you go in order starting with A or do you do random letters. I usually start with the letters in their name and go from there. My kids this year are so far behind I don't know how fast too go. I am thinking of starting next week and do a letter a day. Is this moving too fast for a group who, most didn't know the difference between numbers and letters? I do have help during my reading time. I am going to take advantage of it and have them help me. When should they know all their letters? My goal was always by Thanksgiving or Christmas. I am going to try to have at least the majority done by Christmas. Again is this asking too much. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I need help figuring this all out. I don't want to go too fast and leave most of them behind.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

I started teaching letters from day one. I've taught Houtin Mifflin and Open Court and using the cards that they gave us, I would go through each letter with the motions (think zoophonics type thing). Open Court we start the first half of the year by introducing the letters in order, then we mix it up. Houtin Mifflin, we introduce the letters in a specific order (M, S, R, ...). But, I still make it a point to introduce and begin teaching all of the letters starting on day one.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 19, 2009

We teach 2-3 letters per week and start the 2nd week of school so that we are finished before the winter break. We have a specific order but I honestly don't know how they came up with that order other than not introducing letter sounds that sound similar too close together (m & n, f & v). Of course at the same time we are discussing all letters as they come up naturally from their names, sight words, etc...

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2009

We're using something different, I think it's called Riggs. In this program you teach phonemes, in a specific order. At the same time you are teaching how to write the phoneme. You don't use the letter name, just the different sounds each letter makes. There's a specific order & you don't teach words until you've introduced the 1st 55 sounds.

Most of my kiddos don't know their letters! Because of this I'm adding a lot of hands on multi sensory activities and teaching letter names at the same time. This is a new program for us. I'm curious to see how it actually works. Our first letter is /a/ & it has 4 sounds, the 2nd letter is /c/. They want you to do 2 letters a day; for the 1st day of the program that's 6 sounds. I don't think my kiddos can do that.

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

We have MacMillan Treasures. During the Smart Start unit, we introduce all the letter names in a three week time frame. Then once we get to the real units, the curriculum has one letter sound a week then on the third week, we review both letter sounds. By using that pacing you're still teaching letter sounds up until May :eek: That's just way too slow for my students. Most already know their letters and many know several sounds when they entered K. I am going to pick up the pace to one letter sound every 3 days, so that I will be done with the letter sounds by February.

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 19, 2009

We also use MacMillan, but it is not the Treasures, but and older version. It does the same thing as far as introducing letters and I agree it goes too slow introducing the letters. As soon as I saw how low my kids were I decided not to start the Reading book right away. I have been working on the letters in their names. Next week I will start the book, but I am thinking I am going to introduce the letters faster. I am not sure how fast to go.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

We don't use a program. We are expected to teach letters and sounds in the context of real reading. We also use Phonics Lessons book. We start with student of the day and learn the beginning letter of each child's name. We also spend time learning and discussing a lowercase letter in their name (that usually is also in the name of the student of the day from yesterday).

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

We use the Trophies program, so all the letters are introduced in a specific order (M, S, R, T, A). We do each letter for 2 days, then spend a day reviewing both. Once we have the first 5 letters, we spend a week or two weeks blending the letters to create CVC words...and this goes all the way through the system, so yes, we are still teaching letters in April. I do review all the letters everyday though, so when it gets later in the year, they really do know all the letters, it's just the blending that gets tricky!!

10. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

My daughter attends kindergarten. So far the teacher has introduced 6 letter sounds with the Jolly Phonics program (S, A, P, T, I and N). School has been in session for just over 3 weeks now.

A few years ago my son attended kindergarten in a different school and school district in our state. His teacher had introduced 3 Jolly Phonics sounds in the first week already (it was a short week too). By the end of week #3 my son's class had gone through 14 letter sounds. At the end of week 5 his class had learned 21 sounds.

I'm actually happy that my daughter's class is going slower. The kids seem to be less pressured.

11. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

Our reading series has us to introduce every letter within the first 3 weeks. It goes off of the premise that this should just be a review and all of our k kids have mastered letter recognition (in a perfect world). On the fourth week, we start introducing letter sounds with the letter "m." We just take that opportunity to reinforce the letter for anybody who didn't get it the first time.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 22, 2009

We use Harcourt Storytown, and our first 5 letters are in this same order...I wonder if our entire order is the same. Interesting!

I move a little faster than the curriculum. If I followed it, all letters would be introduced by April. Instead, I do the exact same thing as TeacherC.

For example:
    Monday=M
    Tuesday=m
    Wednesday=S
    Thursday-s
    Friday=Review Mm and Ss

The pacing seems really good for my students. All except a few have retained everything so far.

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 22, 2009

I teach them all, all the time, starting day one. We play letter games, sing letter songs, look at ABC books, listen for sounds in books, etc. My hope is that all students know their letters by November and sounds by January.

14. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Sep 22, 2009

I teach 2 a week. We use Houghton Mifflin, which does a review of all of the letters the first 3 weeks, then goes into introducing in a specific order (most commonly occuring letters in the English language).
    Instead of doing just M, I do M and S. We use pattern sentences for the entire length of the them (3 weeks), in which I incorporate vocabulary from the theme and sight words.

For my ELL's and slower learners, I concentrate on just one letter for 2 days and the other letter the other 2 days.