How Far Would You Travel?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StudentTeach, Jun 3, 2010.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I have an interview next week for a part-time high school job. It's a .5 so it pays exactly half of a full time, and it's 1 hour and 5 minutes away from where I want to live, provided there is no traffic. Do you think it's worth it? It's my only interview right now.

3. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I was talking to a principal today and he said suggested that I apply to some other districts that are pretty far away just so I can get my food in the door. But considering I live in a city with at least five districts in an hour radius, I'm definitely drawing the line at an hour.

I think you should go to the interview anyways to see if it would work out for you! Good luck!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

I would go to the interview just to get practice!

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 3, 2010

There is no harm done if you go and don't get it. But if you do... then you are much better off. Maybe you could figure out another living situation or something else will come through that will make a FT position. Go for it, and lets the chips fall where they may!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

I feel like I am in your same situation...though my interview is for a full time position it si 1 hr 20 mins away according to Mapquest.....Im thinking of driving in this in the snow and rain and how miserable I may be...and then Im thinking that its better than nothing. So im going to go on the interview next Monday and see what happens.

Go for the interview at the very least and see what happens! Does it include benefits? Some .5 positions do and others do not, that sweetens the deal a little.

7. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

It does, it includes benefits and is a tenure track. It's only .5 because they couldn't pass it through funding for it to be 1.0 this year, but that's what they wanted.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2010

I agree to go on the interview and see what happens. Good luck!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

In this economy, a part time tenure track job with benefits is quite a catch!!!

GO TO THE INTERVIEW!!!!! Don't make up your mind until you have a better idea of just what's entailed.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2010

Go on the interview!!! My first job was just under an hour away. Its doable!

11. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jun 4, 2010

I agree! Go to the interview. I'm applying in districts as far as 2-3 hours away. Don't limit yourself to what's nearby. The best job of your life may very well be a distance away :) Good luck on your interview!

12. crcteach

crcteach Rookie

Jun 4, 2010

I worked for 2 years in a town an hour away (that's with traffic) and I put 40,000 miles on my car in those 2 years. Do what you need to do in order to get great recs and a foot in the door. Sometimes that's what it takes. Good Luck.

13. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 4, 2010

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm definitely going to go to the interview. I got called this morning to interview next Wednesday for a LTS leave-replacement for 10th and 12th grade English from August-January. I feel very fortunate even to get interviews.

14. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 4, 2010

I think it would be worth your time just to interview. If you get the job, great. If you don't, you have some interview experience under your belt.

I used to drive an hour to the school I taught at. I've wanted to be a teacher since I was in second grade and I didn't care how far I had to drive to teach.

15. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 4, 2010

until I was just offered a position 2 days ago--I was willing to do just about anything to get a job including moving to another state or country!

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2010

It's a little more than an hour away from where you want to live? Can you move closer to the school if you get the job?

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 5, 2010

Go for the interview and see if you enjoy it. Right now, I teach at a school 10 minutes away. Next year I'll be driving about 40 minutes (longer in bad weather) and I'm already okay with it. I actually enjoy the drive (it's a nice area) and I adore the school. I know those two things will help me.

I was thinking about teaching in a major city near by but that would be over an hour driving. I know I would be miserable because of the location and the drive.

18. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jun 6, 2010

I drive 50 minutes each way.

I got a job 50 minutes away two years ago and I feel really lucky to have a job. It is grueling to drive so much every day, not to mention expensive, but I LOVE my job! If you will love it, take it. You will get used to the drive. Good luck!!!:)