How far would you-or did you drive for student teaching?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Elm512, May 3, 2009.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 3, 2009

Hi everyone,
    I'm posting this in New Teachers because I wanted to direct it more towards those who have already been through this. My husband & I recently moved back to our home state. We ended up about 40 miles North of our hometown, as since we've been gone my parents moved out of state and my in-laws moved to the town we're in now. Needless to say, we're not loving it. We both really want to be back where we grew up, that's where I'd like to start my career, and it's where I'd like my kids to go to school. We moved here to be near family even though we had no other ties to this town, and we're just not happy. The thing is- if we move it has to be this summer. With my husband's job, that's the only time it could be done. If we don't we'll be waiting over a year, and we REALLY don't want to do that. If we do move, I still have to student teach here. I already have my placement etc. Mapquest says it's 44 minutes but with city traffic etc. I think it would take me more like an hour and 10 or so. This would be for 15 weeks. What do you think- would you do it, or wait?

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 3, 2009

I drove 40-45 miles one way for the first few years I taught so doing it for 15 weeks doesn't seem to bad to me IMO

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 3, 2009

Mine was 45 minutes in the morning and about an hour home. I can't imagine waiting an extra year over 15 weeks over an hour drive. Where I live many people drive a30 minutes to an hour to work on a normal basis. You can do anything for 15 weeks, good luck.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 3, 2009

I drove 30 minutes round trip for my fall placement.
    I drove 60 minutes round trip for my spring placement.

The down time in the driving was actually great time for reflection AND let me get it out of my system a little before coming home (teaching, especially student teaching, can be SUPER consuming because you are rethinking EVERYthing that happened during the day).

6. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

May 3, 2009

I only drove minutes for my student teaching placements. However, this year (my first year teaching) I drive thirty minutes to school. At the start of this year it took an hour to get home because of road work. The drive time is actually very relaxing. In the morning I use the 30 min to pump myself up and get in the teaching mode. Its a great way to relax before a stressful day. In the afternoon I am able to get things out of my system. If I've had a bad day I have time to blow off steam before I get home. The down side is that I do have to get up earlier than my coworkers which is starting to wear on me but at least there are only 4 weeks to go!

7. kteachone

kteachone Companion

May 3, 2009

I drove 1hr 20 minutes round trip for my ST. I realllllllly wanted a job there, but some days it was annoying to get up so early.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 3, 2009

I drove 60 mins round trip for 7 months. At first I was okay with it, but by month 5 I couldn't stand it. For me, the drive in wasn't bad. It was the drive home I dreaded because I was so tired by then.

I think 15 weeks is manageable, though.

9. socaligirl

socaligirl Rookie

May 3, 2009

I wouldn't mind an hour there and back for student teaching. For a more permanent job, though, I'd probably look for something closer, or move near the school if I could.

10. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

May 3, 2009

My final was 10 minute drive. The others were 45 minutes.

11. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

May 4, 2009

Thank you all! I think we've decided to go for it, I am SO excited. We also plugged the addresses into our GPS and hit "alternate routes". It shows a back way that completely bypasses the city that takes 42 minutes... that would be great; we'll see! & as much as I love them- it would be GREAT to live far enough away from my inlaws that they can't pop in whenever they want, DAILY. LOL. But close enough to see on the weekends.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2009

Good luck with everything!

13. dawgsfan21

dawgsfan21 Rookie

May 5, 2009

My daily commute to work is about an hour, sometimes more, in the worst traffic in the country- Atlanta. So if it were me, yeah... I'd have no problem with it. I'm truly used to stop and go traffic. Find a good radio morning show that suits your humor and interests and traffic is a breeze.