How far would you drive?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

Hello all... I know a lot of us understand how some places just have NO teaching jobs... well I happen to be in one of those places with no connections or "in". Today I saw the perfect position for me... but it's a solid hour away (not to mention time needed to drop off kids somewhere).

Do you think it's worth it?

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

My theory is, I can do anything for a year. Hopefully next year things will be better and I can find a job closer to home or my dream job. I'm looking at everything 1 hour away or less.

I say go for it and if offered the job, take it! Times are tough and we're all doing things we didn't think we'd have to!

Good luck!:)

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

I would take an hour away.... but I don't mind driving.

At this moment... I would take a job ANYWHERE!

I'm editting this statement.

I turned down the interview of ONE job about an hour away...BECAUSE it was only an aide job. No benefits, hourly wages that wouldn't really pay-off well with the traveling, and NO (none) hope that this would lead to anything beyond this. The principal even mentioned that aides get no preferential treatment in interviews for full-time positions.

THAT I said no to.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

See, an hour away here, just wouldn't work in the winter. Not to mention the fact that there's no jobs an hour away :lol:

6. pinkteacher123

pinkteacher123 Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Realistically, I would probably drive about 45 minutes each way to get to a teaching job. The reason I say this is because we tend to get some not-so-nice weather in the winters and driving on slippery roads or in the snow makes me REALLY nervous and I don't think I could handle much more than that distance. :p

However, if it was a situation where I could drive a longer distance, maybe up to an hour and twenty minutes temporarily and then eventually move there, I might consider it.

7. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

For me, it really depends on the job, and if the pay is worth it. If it's a decent salary with benefits, I'd be willing to drive 45 mins to an hour. Yea, it would be a stinker of a commute in winter, but it would be a job.

However, I would not drive 30 mins for a job that is hourly and part-time with low pay. Unfortunately, this seems to be about the only type of job I can get an interview for right now. Even though I probably won't take these type of jobs, I am going to the interviews because you never know if someone will put me on their sub list. I can drive that far for a sub job, because it won't be every single day.

8. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 2, 2009

yea those are good points, there isn't much in the way of "bad weather" here... and definately wouldn't consider if it was for an aide or even sub teaching.... but it's exactly the job I want... I went ahead and applied... you never know!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 2, 2009

I would say an hour if the pay and benefits were good. I could always hope for snow days in bad weather lLOL

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

1 hr.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

I drive an hour and a half each way for my position. It works, because I can drop dh off at work around 7:30 (we only have one car), he goes running before he has to start working at his desk, and then I have a nice drive down. I get in around 9:15/9:30, and leave around 4:30. I pick dh back up from work and get home around 6:30/7.

The only reason this works so well is for a few reasons: I have a flexible arrival time. My boss understands the traffic and allows for that. If I'm late because of traffic, I simply stay later. If I HAD to be to a school on time each day, I would be a disaster. Secondly, dh works late hours, so I can leave at 4:30, pick him up around 6/6:30 and that's about when he would leave anyhow. If he were going to get home earlier, it would be difficult.

We have VERY little time together during the week. By the time we make dinner and eat, it's about 8pm. We have to be in bed by 10 to get up at 6 the next morning to do it again. The only way we get a workout in is him running after I drop him off at work (they have a shower there), and me running with my student at work.

But it's a job, and I love it. We're going to start tossing his resume out closer to my job, and maybe we'll move down here later this year. THAT would be the best thing we could do. We're spending a fortune in gas...

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

I would do about an hour and ten minutes away.

13. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I hate driving (and drive a SUV) but I would do about an hour or hour 1/2 for a teaching position. For an aide/assistant I would do a 1/2 hour. It does freak me out a bit though having to drive that far; especially since winters here usually suck. Schools only close if things are really bad since we're used to snow/ice/random crap falling from the sky.