How far would you commute?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by katerina03, Jun 21, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jun 21, 2005

I don't want to travel an hour away for a job, but it doesn't sound so bad. Do any of you travel great distances and how far is your limit.
    I wouldn't mind moving for this job (if hired), but I don't think I could sell my house and all that before August.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 21, 2005

Currently I live 2 minutes from my school. In September I will be in a school and it should take me 25-30 minutes to get there. I do work with people who work 45 minutes from their school and they don't seem to mind. I personally don't think I could commute more than 30 minutes because the traffic here in NJ is awful and I am a very impatient person!

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 21, 2005

I drive about 40 minutes to get to my school. I really don't mind it. The drive in the morning gets me in the school frame of mind. On the way home, it gives me a chance to unwind. I don't think I would like living so close to school that I am there before I know it. I don't think I would be prepared.

5. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 21, 2005

I drive 25-30 minutes and I actually like it, I wish I lived closer though for the mornings (I don't do mornings so well) but I like the drive home to give me time to get out of work mode and into home mode...
    Depending on the job, I'd be willing to travel up to an hour I think.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 21, 2005

For the last few years, I travelled 1 hr 15 min to go to university. Of course that was only during university school year (Sept to April), but it wasn't that bad. You get used to it and it can be quite relaxing if you like to crank the radio and sing along, lol. The worst part is of course the cost in gas an wear and tear on your car (very bad if you have a lease with a mileage limit - I put almost 40 000 km on my car since Sept!). I found the earlier mornings hard, but if you are a morning person, it's no biggie. You just have to be careful to get enough sleep so you don't fall asleep at the wheel. For a job (because it's possible to be at the same place for years), my upper limit would be about 40 to 45 minutes but I would have to really think about how good the job is and what other opportunities I had before agreeing to travel that distance. I definitely would if I had no other options for a job. I wouldn't do an hour, though. I was very close to burnout by the end if my first semester of university because of that.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 21, 2005

When I taught in Kentucky I was 1 hour and 15 minutes from school. I drove it for 2 years. Now here in Georgia I am 10 minutes (on a good day) from school. I much prefer the 10 minute drive.

8. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 21, 2005

I used to drive about 40 minutes on mainly gravel, backroads to get to the school were I taught. I didn't mind it at all, only on very snowy, icy days! Then it got very interesting! I now live only 3 miles and 10 minutes away. I do enjoy it better, but I do miss the unwind time from the commute! :)

9. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jun 21, 2005

Actually, I don't mind the long drive back and forth because I do find it relaxing to drive and listen to my 80's stuff. But I am worried about making the drive in the winter. When I was in school I drove 77 miles about 4 times a week and I didn't mind it too much. But I think I will make 30 minutes my limit until I am able to relocate. This job I was thinking about applying for is about an hour and 15 minutes away. I think I will pass.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2005

I only drive about 25 minutes, which doesn't bother me except on those all too frequent times when I have to back to school in the evening for some event. It's a long day to stay, but driving back seems so much longer than the first trip of the day.

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 21, 2005

My first 3 weeks of school i traveled an hour each way, till I bought by house.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 22, 2005

I took a job that required me to travel an hour each way. I didn't mind the morning drive, but the evening drive I didn't like. I made dinner for my family the evening before so they would just have to cook it, but by the time I got home it was late, they had eaten. That lasted about 4 months and I turned in my resignation. The wear and tear on my car, gas, and missing dinner with my family was the key factors in my decision. I had a difficult time finding another position closer, ended up with a long term sub job and find I am looking for work again, but I don't regret my decision.

13. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 22, 2005

I used to teach Head Start and drove an hour each way to work. At first it was good in the morning to get me awake and ready for the day, (I'm NOT a morning person), and at the end of the day it helped me to unwind. But after 2 years of it, it was getting me stressed out and wearing me out. I ended up finding a job 25 min. away from home and took it. The commute helped me out quite a bit, stress wise.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

I used to work at a Migrant Head Start Center and had about a 40 minute drive. I went to work fairly early in the morning, so the interstate traffic wasn't too bad. I would use the time to "picture" my day in my mind. In the afternoon, it was more hectic - but, I was used to it and used the time to unwind and transition from work to home.

The closest that I ever lived to school when I taught at a Lutheran school in Concordia, Missouri. I lived right across the street from the school and just walked. It was so convenient! Loved it!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

Glenda,
    What have you found out about where you will be living? Keep us posted.

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

I suppose you have heard on the news that Bob Taft, govenor, has been to Springfield to try to save the National Guard base there. He didn't even mention anything about DFAS in Kettering. I did hear on the news that the city of Kettering is trying to save the jobs there. This info gets presented to someone (?) next week.

But, my husband does not expect any of the "field offices" for DFAS to be saved. That would be all of the smaller offices, such as those at Kettering, Cleveland, and Omaha. DFAS officials want to get rid of these field offices in order to centralize to a few very large offices.

Hubby has been told that he can choose the office that he wants to transfer to. (At first, he thought he would be assigned and thought it would be Denver - because Denver has always handled Air Force work, which is what Kettering does now.) If the office that he chooses does not have a job that he has experience with, they will train him in a new job. The ones who will be in trouble will be the ones who cannot move, such as married women who must stay in the area because of their husbands' jobs.

So, depending on how all of the political stuff goes down next week and ultimately to the Prez in September, we are looking at moving to Columbus, OH. That office is somewhere near their airport. It's still a wait and see thing. :(

Thanks for asking!!

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

I have a 30min morning commute, & depending on when I leave about a 30-45 min. commute in the evening. I love my commute, but I wouldn't want it to be any further! That's MY time, no children, my radio station or my quiet, no husband, no animals. Me & my thoughts & my car.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2005

Glenda,
    I grew up in Worthington, north of Columbus. It's a great area. Columbus just seems so crowded to us now after living in lots of smaller areas around the country. Keep us posted on where you go.

19. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 4, 2005

I am going to stay in this area at least for another school year. I applied for 4 positions within a 5 mile radius. Hoepfully I will at least get an interview.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

My first job was an hour away. It was early (kindergarten started at 7:35am) and not being a morning person, it was rough for the year. Luckily my sister wasn't far from there so I spent some time with her when I was really tired.

My job now is 45-50 minutes depending on traffic, but its mostly highway which is different from my old job, which included a lot of farms and mooing cows. By the end f the year I was getting tired of the commute, but I was working the afterschool program until 5:30 everyday and with traffic, I wouldn't get home until 7pm each night, which is 12 hours after I left in the morning. I won't do that again 5 days a week!

My plan is to move closer hopefully next summer, to cut down on the miles on my car and amount of time I commute to hoepfully 25-30 minutes or a little less. But like others said, I enjoy the drive because I get myself prepared for the day and wake up in the morning, and then I cool down and relax on the way home. Until I hit traffic on 295 and go ballistic because people can't drive!! lol (I, too, hate NJ traffic!!!)

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

Right now, my commute will be about an hour and a half in the mornings, mostly interstate (Chicago traffic is awful, too)... but I'm looking at moving closer as soon as I have the money to do that... and the area I'm looking will be about halfway between here and there, but only half an hour away (avoiding the interstates)... it's just too long to drive during rush hour!!!

22. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 13, 2005

I am so tired of not being able to find a place close to home,that I think I will apply to farther away places. I am getting desperate and depressed.

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2005

katerina, that was pretty much my problem... but i had success farther out, even if it means a long drive for a while.

24. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2005

I live in the houston area and its sooo big! I used to drive about an hour each way. I got used to it. But now I only drive 20 min. I don't want to live super close to my school. I like the seperation between me and my kids. A friend of mine can;t even run in her neighborhood b/c kids will follow her.

25. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 13, 2005

My commute is going to be one hour this school year. When I lived closer to my school I would spend more time at school doing work and not getting home until after 6 o'clock.

26. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 13, 2005

I didn't realize so many people commuted so far to work. I did it while I was in Teacher's College and found it really tough. Although, I may need to consider it because things aren't going well. I just got the call about five minutes ago from my interview and I didn't get the position. They want to put me on their personal supply list, though. What a roller coaster.

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2005

katerina,
    It is tough in Ohio (I'm sorry but I forget what area you are from), but don't give up. It's not unusual in my area to get hired in late August or even after school has begun. Sending good thoughts your way.
    Missy

28. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jul 13, 2005

My commute is about 30 minutes in the morning and 35-50 minutes or more on the way home. That's on good days when nobody has wrecked on I-695.

I would consider driving further if it were on less crowded roads and if the pay were right, etc.

29. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 13, 2005

I wnat to thank everyone for their replies and words of encouragement. I know I shouldn't let the situation get to me because many of you go through the agonizing wait! Even still, I find myself feeling really down. I have no choice but to seek out of town employment.

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2005

Katerina- Don't give up yet!! Its still early in the summer yet. Do apply to those other schools, but trust that something will work out. I know its easier said than done because I lived it two summers in a row, but things do come together. I'm proof! :)

31. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 14, 2005

You know, this site is really therapeutic. I appreciate the time everyone takes to share their wisdom and advice. I spend so much time reading this forum that my husband thinks I have an online boyfriend ;)

32. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2005

Tell your hubby that we are just a group of online teaching friends who support each other & that we can vent to without it getting back to the wrong people!

33. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 14, 2005

I did tell him that. I tell him about the great advice I get from you all ;)